Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=609c7e5a2a6f63988d8203e05c993614Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leather Pouch Tutorial (RE: Owi-wan Kenobi, ROTS + others)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedjools wrote:
Hi love your pouches, am just in the process of getting my FIRST costume together Generic Jedi, and want to get 2 pouches both usable and one big enough to put my phone into.
Just wondering if you have the pouches etc..(belt ?) for sale, as think it would be hard for me to make maybe, i am in the UK.

May the force be with you always!
Jools

Hi Jools,

I'm sorry, but I'm not making these for sale to the general RL membership at this time. I believe there are some who make similar pouches and Jedi belts. Good luck to you!
mignonmenzies ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little nervous about using leather. Is it possible to use faux leather/marine vinyl for belts and pouches? I cannot hand sew things.
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mignonmenzies wrote:
I am a little nervous about using leather. Is it possible to use faux leather/marine vinyl for belts and pouches? I cannot hand sew things.

Well...if you can sew anything with a machine, then leather shouldn't scare you. The tutorial is pretty straight forward and if you follow it you really should have no problems. In fact, some of the local leather shops around where I live will gladly have you come over for lessons and will help you make your stuff. They do this so that you feel comfortable in the store and with leather so that you buy more stuff from them!

As for using fake leather or various polymers for making Jedi pouches? Yeah, you can use those. There are some fairly decent fake leather fabrics at my local Walmart. Perhaps veneering them to some craft foam and some selected weathering, you might can get them to look respectable, but...in the end, you'll spend less time and effort using real leather Wink Would these be approved by the LCJs for face character costumes? I have no clue on that (even though I used to be a judge and served as the LMO). What is accepted and how picky the LCJs are depends on who's in charge at the time...and the pendulum swings back and forth between being too overly picky and too lax.
mignonmenzies ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more a can't with leather working. I have a severely damaged right wrist and most things that require hand work are very hard for me. If I can't sew it on a machine it doesn't happen. I am seeing the tool you used for the lines and the hand sewing you did and I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to grip the tools. Sad
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mignonmenzies wrote:
It's more a can't with leather working. I have a severely damaged right wrist and most things that require hand work are very hard for me. If I can't sew it on a machine it doesn't happen. I am seeing the tool you used for the lines and the hand sewing you did and I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to grip the tools. Sad

Well...you can make pouches out of anything, even a thinner faux leather fabric and sew them. You can also order them from various vendors (civilizedgalacticgear.com for one, though they're somewhat expensive). And some folks here make them. You'd also probably come out better ordering crappy ones and reshaping and/or repainting them to make them look better. Bottom line is: there are options Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: