Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8881987f19ffffab4050c32bf2dabe9cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP - Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthrax (Rebecca Fisher-Jackson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: WIP - Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine) Reply with quote

Hello all,

As I'm nearing the end of my current project (Lieutenant Connix from TLJ), and my other project is close to being commissioned (General Leia), I'm finally ready to start work on my next one. I can feel this project is going to be my 'slow burner' of 2018 that is always going to be on the go, just a little slowly as I have university work to do, as well unfortunately being on a restricted student budget, which means it could take awhile to gather some of the more expensive elements.

I should preface this with the fact that I'm in the UK, I'm a very novice seamstress, and I have absolutely no experience with leather work of any kind. So if I can buy stuff rather than make it, I will probably end up saving money.

So, with the limited planning that I have done thus far, I'd really appreciate a little advice on some of the things I've found - obviously it is early on in the process:

Hair:
I noticed that someone in a previous thread suggested that buying the Arda Derek or Hansel wig in a sandy blonde, would be good. Arda seems to have sold out of these, and I'd rather not back-order items.

Instead, I found this in the UK. I personally feel that the colour looks about right. Obviously the length is incorrect, so I'd have to cut and style it myself, but that's easily done.

What do you all think, would this be approvable with a little cutting and styling?

https://www.coscraft.co.uk/ash/614-ash-in-sandy-blonde.html

Tunic:
I've been reading through some other threads, and this is the main part that I'm dreading. I've read about how there are no seams connecting the sleeves to the tunic sides, so I'd have to cut the front and back patterns with half the sleeves and then sew up the top. I'm absolutely terrified of doing it incorrectly - so if anyone has a pattern ready to go, I'd be eternally grateful. The amount of times in the past year that I've tried to sew things and it's completely gone pear-shaped - whether it's with store-bought patterns, patterns I've drafted myself, or just winging it - I've wasted a lot of time, energy, and money on sewing badly. I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave this until last if I can't find a pattern at the moment.

In terms of material, what kind of material is it? I'm assuming that the colour is an off-white colour? I'm also assuming that it is made from a cotton-type material - I vaguely remember reading that the original was made from that funny fabric that begins with v that is apparently somewhat hard/expensive to find now, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Belt:
As mentioned previously, I'm rubbish at leather work. I'm still quite new to the Legion, so I have no clue who would be the people to talk to in regards to having a belt like this made - and it frightens me a little because I know leather is always expensive. If I can avoid directly commissioning it from someone for now, that'd be great.

In terms of things I've already found, would this be approvable?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/251495724/luke-skywalker-a-new-hope-costume-belt?ref=hp_rv

I made a thread about Luke's belt and pouches the other day, but felt the need to include it here as well. Someone said it wouldn't be approvable, but if I can get a judge's opinion, that'd be great. If it wouldn't be accepted, what kind of thing should I be looking for? I can't tell the difference between this and the screen belt (it does include an option to be weathered as well, if that's an issue).

Droid Caller:
I unfortunately do not have access to a 3D printer at home, and I don't even know where I'd begin to find 3D plans for this, then find someone to print it for me, then do all the things that have to be done like sanding (I have no clue what I'm supposed to do with it). So, I've found these two on etsy.

Are either of these two approvable? They are a little expensive with added shipping to the UK, so if anyone has any cheaper alternatives, I'm very happy to hear them!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/244397487/updated-star-wars-han-solo-a-new-hope?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=droid%20caller&ref=sr_gallery_1

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/228080404/star-wars-luke-skywalker-han-solo-droid?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=droid%20caller&ref=sr_gallery_8

Trousers:
I also remember reading that the original trousers were very light tan/cream brushed jeans, specifically Levis. When looking for trousers, are jeans acceptable? Are there any particular things on the jeans (say, a certain type of stitching along the side seams, or round the hems, or fly) that would be a big 'no no', or would a standard pair of jeans in the correct colour, be ok?

Boots:
I saw somewhere on another thread that people were talking about the ASOS boots. Now unfortunately they are sold out from the main site, but I've found them on another website. Here is the original posting:

http://us.asos.com/asos/asos-chelsea-boots-in-stone-suede/prd/7509956?iid=7509956&utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=LinkShare&utm_content=USNetwork.1&utm_campaign=nDQA3oKZiiQ&link=10&promo=323040&source=linkshare&MID=35719&affid=2135&channelref=Affiliate&pubref=nDQA3oKZiiQ&siteID=nDQA3oKZiiQ-mWYn._v.8CitEueacExD1A

Would they be approvable? Obviously I'd have to make/find puttees in the same shade, but is the colour ok? I know I'd have to sand the heel and add in the vent flaps (which I also have no idea how to do. If anyone has any advice for that modification, please let me know!). I'm not sure how I would cover the expandable part, either. Is there anything else I'd have to do for the boots to make them approvable?

I have a bit of a silly question. I know that Luke's ANH lightsaber hilt is an optional item for approval, but I'm just curious: is there a particular reason why you can't get this costume approved with the full lightsaber (considering he first turns on the weapon in Ben's home, and later trains with it on the Millennium Falcon), or am I just being really stupid and missing something blatantly obvious that prevents this from being approved with this costume?

Thank-you all SO MUCH in advance for all of your help, I really do appreciate it!!

Very Happy
TFA Kaydel Ko Connix - Junior Controller's Uniform - Approved! (26/06/17)

WIP Costumes:
TFA General Leia Organa (Jumpsuit)
ANH Luke Skywalker (Lars Homestead / Tatooine)
Troop Count: 11
Loarell (Kim Suhyun)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, I have an ESB belt that he made and I'm approved.
I'm preparing ANH Luke too. and I'm going to buy his belt again Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to answer your questions from the top down. Smile

First off: Yeah, for more Lukes! (Though that means more work for me. Hmm).

Wig: Looks like a good base, so once styled it should be just fine. It's within the acceptable range of colours. Dark blond to light brown are a great range to aim for.

Tunic: Sorry, I don't have a pattern, but when making patterns yourself I do recommend making mock ups in cheap fabric. A medium weight cotton should be a nice choice for the final tunic. (And yes, off-white general photographs better than stark white, which is very harsh).

Belt: I also commented in your other thread, but basically the buckle should be more rectangular. Pretty nice belt though; the craftmanship looks good.

Droid caller: Both looks nice, not sure which one I prefer. Other Lukes want to chime in?

Trousers: Plain trousers in the right colour should be all right. No extra detailing.

Boots: Yes, those would form a good base on build upon. And yes, you need to make modifications.

Lightsaber: You can have a blade. We just only mention the hilt, because that's what differs between the lightsabers. The blades look the same across the board. (Minus Yoda with his shorter blade). Wink

I hope I got around it all. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I'll try to answer your questions from the top down. Smile

First off: Yeah, for more Lukes! (Though that means more work for me. Hmm).

Wig: Looks like a good base, so once styled it should be just fine. It's within the acceptable range of colours. Dark blond to light brown are a great range to aim for.

Tunic: Sorry, I don't have a pattern, but when making patterns yourself I do recommend making mock ups in cheap fabric. A medium weight cotton should be a nice choice for the final tunic. (And yes, off-white general photographs better than stark white, which is very harsh).

Belt: I also commented in your other thread, but basically the buckle should be more rectangular. Pretty nice belt though; the craftmanship looks good.

Droid caller: Both looks nice, not sure which one I prefer. Other Lukes want to chime in?

Trousers: Plain trousers in the right colour should be all right. No extra detailing.

Boots: Yes, those would form a good base on build upon. And yes, you need to make modifications.

Lightsaber: You can have a blade. We just only mention the hilt, because that's what differs between the lightsabers. The blades look the same across the board. (Minus Yoda with his shorter blade). Wink

I hope I got around it all. Smile

Thank-you so, so much for all of your help!!

I was surprised when I realised the other day that we don't have an ANH farmboy Luke here in the UK. I absolutely love Luke (even more so after TLJ!), and I feel I definitely have the youngish/innocent look to pull it off (I'm in university, and I trooped for the wonderful Dreamflight kids flight earlier this year, and was mistaken for one of the kids...so I thought I might as well use this youthful look to my advantage Mr. Green )

That's fab, when the wig shop re-opens, I'll put an order in for the wig!

Thank-you very much for the tunic advice, I'll order some cheap cotton fabric to do a mock-up first.

In regards to the belt, would it be possible to purchase that one but take off the buckle, and put my own on (I've seen people mention the Tandy buckle)? I have no experience with leather work, so I don't know if that's possible or not.

That's a huge relief about the trousers!!

To clarify with the modifications with those boots, is it just sanding around the sole base, covering the elastic side, an somehow putting in the vents? Or have I forgotten something else?

Even more brilliant news about the lightsaber!! Are there any ones that are commercially available that would be approved? I'm assuming the Black Series Rey one wouldn't be approvable. However, would the 2007 ANH Luke Master Replicas lightsaber be approvable?

Thank-you so much again, you've been such a massive help already Very Happy

WIP Costumes:
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Smile Want to help my fellow troopers across the strait. Wink

I've found the cheapest mock up fabric I can buy in DK is actually what IKEA sells. Razz Unless I go to a warehouse sale where I may find something even cheaper if lucky.

Hmm, maybe. I guess it depends on how the buckle is attached. Maybe ask if any of the locals have any experience with that?

Yep, and paint the soles. That should cover it.

The MR ANH saber for sure, but there should be others, too. Show me a picture of what you have in mind; I'm too tired to look up sabers right now. Wink Razz

Night and Happy New Year!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
No problem. Smile Want to help my fellow troopers across the strait. Wink

I've found the cheapest mock up fabric I can buy in DK is actually what IKEA sells. Razz Unless I go to a warehouse sale where I may find something even cheaper if lucky.

Hmm, maybe. I guess it depends on how the buckle is attached. Maybe ask if any of the locals have any experience with that?

Yep, and paint the soles. That should cover it.

The MR ANH saber for sure, but there should be others, too. Show me a picture of what you have in mind; I'm too tired to look up sabers right now. Wink Razz

Night and Happy New Year!

Thank-you again for all of your help, and a very Happy New Year to you, too!!

In my excitement at the prospect of owning my first ever lightsaber (that's not a plastic extendable one, that is Cool ), I've spent the last few days stalking eBay. I am now the proud owner of a 2007 Master Replicas Luke lightsaber (RIP student loan!). I'll upload a photo when it arrives.

I've ordered a few suede fabric samples for the puttees, and am planning on buying those boots when I can next afford them. It is very tempting to invest in the crowpops boots, but I don't really want to be eating Pot Noodles for the next few months at the moment! Laughing

My current question is this: in terms of the tunic/gi, I know that there is no top-stitching and no shoulder seams, but what about side seams? Are the front and back panels a continuous piece of fabric, or do they have a seam attaching them together (For the sake of my terrible sewing skills, I hope that latter is the case).

I'm really looking forward to starting this properly Very Happy

WIP Costumes:
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will be happy with it and it didn't cost too much. But perhaps you will be lucky and the time rift in Cardiff will make you rich. Smile Oh, wait, wrong fandom.

Anyway, making costumes on a student budget is definitely tricky and requires saving up for buying pieces at different times. Done that too many times myself.

And don't worry, the tunic has side seams. Wink There's seams running from the shoulder and down the top of the sleeves, and under the sleeves and down the sides. So you have one back panel and two front panels.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
I hope you will be happy with it and it didn't cost too much. But perhaps you will be lucky and the time rift in Cardiff will make you rich. Smile Oh, wait, wrong fandom.

Anyway, making costumes on a student budget is definitely tricky and requires saving up for buying pieces at different times. Done that too many times myself.

And don't worry, the tunic has side seams. Wink There's seams running from the shoulder and down the top of the sleeves, and under the sleeves and down the sides. So you have one back panel and two front panels.

Haha, I love your reference!! I walk past Torchwood every other day, it'd be wonderful if that did happen Very Happy

That is the best news about the tunic, thank-you so much for putting my mind at rest!

In terms of progress: I'm just waiting for the lightsaber to ship, and to hear back from one of my RLUK buddies about the leather belt. I'm not artsy at all, so I am seriously considering just purchasing a pair of boots from JDOS or Crow Props now, because I just don't have the skills to do it and it would just be wasted money.

Do you have any idea how long the average Crow Props order takes to come in? I've spoken briefly with JDOS and the expected time would be five months + three weeks shipping to the UK. I've sent Crow Props a message already to ask, but haven't heard anything back yet Smile

WIP Costumes:
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, The Torchwood Institute. Those first couple of seasons were good. (And a reason to someday visit Cardiff just to take location photos).

No problem. Hopefully the tunic won't cause you too much trouble.

Not really. I've never gotten anything from Crow Props, so I have no idea what their service are or how fast they are. But do what you feel comfortable with. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good news! My lightsaber has finally arrived, so I will post some pics in the thread - I genuinely don't think I've ever been so excited for the post to arrive! Laughing

I've spoken to an RL friend about comissioning Luke's belt and pouches, so that's a good start!

As far as I'm going, the boots are still a problem. I'm on the verge of purchasing the JDOS boots, but I am trying to save some money if possible (and the wait time is scary). So I am still looking for alternatives.

So far, I've found two that are still in stock. There's these with the vents (and the wrong heel):
http://www.asos.com/asos/asos-chelsea-boots-in-stone-suede-with-natural-sole/prd/8661026?clr=stone&SearchQuery=chelsea%20bboots&gridcolumn=2&gridrow=13&gridsize=4&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=421

If I was able to convert these to having a flat sole and make matching puttees, would these be approvable without any further modification? I'd be a bit worried about the seam on the back.

The other ones that I've found are these. I'd have to modify the heel again, and hide the elastic bit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0779DZ3XN/ref=twister_B0779G9XX3

What does everyone think? Laughing Very Happy

WIP Costumes:
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the lightsaber!!

WIP Costumes:
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't know how big a pain trying to make a new sole would be, so can't say if it would be too much trouble or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: