Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7bd8b1990602dc0efa6b8f14ee0be8e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Last Jedi - A-Wing Pilot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TLJ Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dshinshin ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trim Trim Reply with quote

TerranCmdr wrote:
dshinshin wrote:

Hey all! Denny here from NYC. I just figured out how to upload photos. I've taken some insanely high res photos and took measurements on the Poe NYCC 17 suit.

I also work next to the fabric store that sold the original pilot trim to foodles and did my research.

I think I found something pretty damn close... I just mailed some to Phil Kellar and have a few rolls myself. Let me know if you have any questions.

Denny

That looks amazing. Do you have any idea where I can get my hands on some of that ribbing? I would love it for both an A-wing costume and MKII of my X-wing costume.

If I need to make a run to grab more I can. Just wanna do one single run... Let me know if anyone is interested.
CaptainTightpantsCosplay ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a color comparison chart put together by a friend with the most likely cordura candidates

In our estimation, the two most likely fabrics are either the Khaki or the Olive. The Olive is not quite right, as it has too much of a black tone. The Khaki needs more green.

Our next steps are to attempt dye wash of the khaki to bring up the green levels.

Stay tuned.
dshinshin ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainTightpantsCosplay wrote:
Here are a couple of fabric sample I have gathered in 1000d and 500D cordura

My inclination is that Khaki seems to be the best match for color. Contrary to it's name, it is far more green than tan.

Thoughts?

Think any of these could be good. Trick is. Are they coated or not coated? The coated ones may be toxic to wear ...
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's very little uncoared cordura available in terms of colors. But I've never heard anything about the PU coating on the back of cordura being toxic.

dshinshin wrote:

My inclination is that Khaki seems to be the best match for color. Contrary to it's name, it is far more green than tan.

Thoughts?

Think any of these could be good. Trick is. Are they coated or not coated? The coated ones may be toxic to wear ...
dshinshin ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's very little uncoared cordura available in terms of colors. But I've never heard anything about the PU coating on the back of cordura being toxic.

dshinshin wrote:

Thoughts?

I mean. Urethane is urethane. If you do make a suit I would line it... Long day of trooping and sweating. Can't say that I would want urethane coating directly on my skin.

I mentioned this in another post - but Foodles ended up dying an uncoated version of theirs.

I've got a dyer here in NYC. If we can get a hold of a few rolls of 1000D cordura uncoated, maybe we should all go in on a special dye order...
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I'd line it always. The feeling against your skin is kinda yuck.
dshinshin wrote:

dshinshin wrote:

Thoughts?

I mean. Urethane is urethane. If you do make a suit I would line it... Long day of trooping and sweating. Can't say that I would want urethane coating directly on my skin.

I mentioned this in another post - but Foodles ended up dying an uncoated version of theirs.

I've got a dyer here in NYC. If we can get a hold of a few rolls of 1000D cordura uncoated, maybe we should all go in on a special dye order...
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug around and found more photos of the display helmet from Disney. Here is the album. I think the only view missing for modeling it is from the rear... If there is any from Thumpers album I apologize. I thought I removed all of her photos but just in case so I don't mix anything up. Could use a better shot of the left side... the pics are pretty dark for that ear piece.

https://imgur.com/a/9K4JZ
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some material colors I found while looking around...

Solarium Malcomb Citrus:

Solarium Solar Kiwi:

Solarium Aytiva Olive:

Solarium Colefax Pesto:

http://www.solariumfabrics.com/fabric-library/

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

Solarium Aytiva Olive:

http://www.solariumfabrics.com/fabric-library/

I like this one. I'd have to see a swatch of it though...

I do like their Solar polyethylenes, I think they make the best X-wing suits. They should make for good A-wing & bomber suits too, if they have the right colors.

DENNY: Haha, great minds think alike Smile I also ordered a bunch of swatches from Rockywoods.... I think they are too dark, and too much sheen on those Corduras.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Megtheforce ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Back of Tallie Lintras Flak Vest? Reply with quote

Hi everyone:) I’m new to building pilots, and I’m hoping to build Tallie Lintra!
I was wondering what everyone thinks about the back of her flak vest? Do we think it may be similar in construction to Paige’s?
Also reading the fabric discussion was extremely helpful, however I’m unsure of which fabric to look for.
Cordura has been suggested, as has solar Polyethylene, but which one do you think would be best?
I’m extremely new to this and would love any advice! Thanks!!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that keeps drawing me back to the cordura, is that we know that it is what was used for the TFA X-Wings. Consistency seems to make sense to me. I am wondering what the Coyote gold or Khaki are going to look like after a green dye wash.

[quote="Philonius"]
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

Solarium Aytiva Olive:

I like this one. I'd have to see a swatch of it though...

I do like their Solar polyethylenes, I think they make the best X-wing suits. They should make for good A-wing & bomber suits too, if they have the right colors.

DENNY: Haha, great minds think alike Smile I also ordered a bunch of swatches from Rockywoods.... I think they are too dark, and too much sheen on those Corduras.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I would also check over on the FB page for gunner/paige. They have already got the flak vest done.....
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure most of us are there all ready, but thanks for the tip.

wtyler3 wrote:
Guys I would also check over on the FB page for gunner/paige. They have already got the flak vest done.....
Alpha Chaos 13 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, I'll just watch from over here in the corner...
501st NorthEast Remnant CO
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtyler3 wrote:

Couldn't find a page or a group for this. Do you have an address?
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TLJ Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: