Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=363159379faf953718d711fadd30f7a5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ESB Han Build - photos for feedback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceethree ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: ESB Han Build - photos for feedback. Reply with quote

Hi - putting together ESB Han and was hopeful I could get some feedback on the following photos. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/BpHRw
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ESB Han Build - photos for feedback. Reply with quote

ceethree wrote:
Hi - putting together ESB Han and was hopeful I could get some feedback on the following photos. Thank you!

https://imgur.com/a/BpHRw

Who are you using for the shirt/pants/jacket?
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the insanity ceethree!!

Thanks for posting the photos and asking the questions. It will make the final approval process MUCH smoother for you.

So, you have a pretty decent start. From what I can see, the shirt looks good-it's not totally perfect. The construction of the bib on the front isn't quite right, but that gets covered by the jacket when you're wearing it, so it doesn't really matter. It wouldn't be approvable for a Carbon-Freezing Han costume though...

The jacket looks really good!! I'm not a huge fan of the fabric; it kind of looks like a shiny, polyester-ish type of fabric, but that should be too big a deal. The color looks good, the detail of the stitching in the sleeves is awesome!! This is a pretty decent version of the jacket. Do you mind sharing the vendor?

Pants look good overall. Can't tell from the photos if the stripes are embroidered or iron-on. Also can't tell for sure if there's a pintuck and riding seam as there should be. But the color looks good and the sizing of the stripes looks correct.

From there, though, you have a bit of work to do. The belt with holes punched in it should be black, not brown. Also, there should be 3 rows of holes, not two. The buckle looks OK, but the belt itself, not so much.

Boots wouldn't fly either. They shouldn't have the pointed "superhero" front to them. They do angle, but that angle should either be to the outside of the leg, or the boot should just be flat across the top. It's also highly preferred that the boots don't have a zipper in them. Lastly, Han's boots are VERY tall. They need to come up to, basically, right to or just below the knee. Yours look somewhat short in the photo, but it's hard to tell without you having them on.

The gun belt is also pretty much a total re-do. Don't feel bad, there are a great many recruits who apply with that rig; but there are just so many problems with it, it's really not even worth trying to modify it to make it approvable.

Hope that helps. Feel free to shoot me a PM or post here if you have any questions.

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
ceethree ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
Welcome to the insanity ceethree!!

Thanks for posting the photos and asking the questions. It will make the final approval process MUCH smoother for you.

So, you have a pretty decent start. From what I can see, the shirt looks good-it's not totally perfect. The construction of the bib on the front isn't quite right, but that gets covered by the jacket when you're wearing it, so it doesn't really matter. It wouldn't be approvable for a Carbon-Freezing Han costume though...

The jacket looks really good!! I'm not a huge fan of the fabric; it kind of looks like a shiny, polyester-ish type of fabric, but that should be too big a deal. The color looks good, the detail of the stitching in the sleeves is awesome!! This is a pretty decent version of the jacket. Do you mind sharing the vendor?

Pants look good overall. Can't tell from the photos if the stripes are embroidered or iron-on. Also can't tell for sure if there's a pintuck and riding seam as there should be. But the color looks good and the sizing of the stripes looks correct.

From there, though, you have a bit of work to do. The belt with holes punched in it should be black, not brown. Also, there should be 3 rows of holes, not two. The buckle looks OK, but the belt itself, not so much.

Boots wouldn't fly either. They shouldn't have the pointed "superhero" front to them. They do angle, but that angle should either be to the outside of the leg, or the boot should just be flat across the top. It's also highly preferred that the boots don't have a zipper in them. Lastly, Han's boots are VERY tall. They need to come up to, basically, right to or just below the knee. Yours look somewhat short in the photo, but it's hard to tell without you having them on.

The gun belt is also pretty much a total re-do. Don't feel bad, there are a great many recruits who apply with that rig; but there are just so many problems with it, it's really not even worth trying to modify it to make it approvable.

Hope that helps. Feel free to shoot me a PM or post here if you have any questions.

WOW! a lot to unpack here. I am grateful for the feedback. The belt was the "big piece" I was waiting on and not happy to hear it doesn't pass. I would love some more specific feedback and where and how I can look to getting an appropriate set. I have a line on the pants belt; I'm referring to the gunbelt in this case.

Boots, not surprising as I've heard zippers are no joy. suggested vendor would also be appreciated.

I have a blaster but did figure out it was ANH version not ESB, so I had the modeler who made it more me make the change. I don't have it back yet but will certainly post that too. I also gave him the holster that goes with this belt to make sure it fits.

I think the pants/shirt/jacket all match up in the ways that you describe.

I was aware of the pants belt issue and I have a line on fixing that.

Please message me directly if you wish or we can keep this rolling. I genuinely appreciate the feedback.

Regards, CeeThree
TK-3238 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding interest in finding out who made the jacket!
ceethree ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, here we are. it was a kit from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXQSYGF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all that for $80bucks? wow. that's a great place to start.

MOST costumes from commercial vendors WILL need to be modified, in order to meet our standards..
..but $80, for a "starting platform" like this, is practically unheard of. nice find.

re: pants: are the stripes embroidered?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not the first person to ask me that and I keep forgetting to check! I will do so and report back.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks an awful lot like the CosplaySky kit. If so, the jacket is pretty good, and the shirt is adequate. The pants have silkscreened stripes, though, not embroidered, although it's not a huge deal to overlay the embroidered strip from the eBay vendor to fix that, leaving a very decent pair of pants. (The fabric is pretty low quality, but it certainly looks the part well enough.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Looks an awful lot like the CosplaySky kit. If so, the jacket is pretty good, and the shirt is adequate. The pants have silkscreened stripes, though, not embroidered, although it's not a huge deal to overlay the embroidered strip from the eBay vendor to fix that, leaving a very decent pair of pants. (The fabric is pretty low quality, but it certainly looks the part well enough.)

good stuff! yes, I will knock around and see if I can drum up those stripes. My wife sews so that will help!

Thanks for feedback.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceethree wrote:
kman wrote:

good stuff! yes, I will knock around and see if I can drum up those stripes. My wife sews so that will help!

Thanks for feedback.

There's a thread somewhere detailing how to attach those embroidered strips over existing pants. It's pretty simple, just tedious: Fold back the fabric to expose JUST the embroidered bits, in it in place right over the silkscreened stripes, and sew all the way down, *horizontally* between each stripe. Many, many 1" sections of stitching. Again, easy, but tedious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: