Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3119c64a85183918c8a5066a9904f04aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala's Red Throne Room/Invasion of Theed Gown
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Queen Amidala's Red Throne Room/Invasion of Theed Gown Reply with quote

Hello! So I am putting my build thread here, though it's really more or a re-build/updating in which I am adding/redoing/detailing the things that I want to improve/update. The costume was made for me by my twin, for a debut at Otakon in 2014. I had a blast, hut there are a few things I want to fix/change, and some pieces need repair and rebuilding (the headdress, for example) as they endured a rather rough travel session and I have not had time to work on them until now. Included here I will have the starting pictures, and those will be followed with updates on progress and pictures of specific working/detailing.
Discord: Lynx #0276

Last edited by Rialynx (Darcy Renich) on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Collar Piece

I plan to use a die cutter machine to mock up the actual symbols used on the original costume and cut them out of fabric (also using the die cutter). Once they are made I will place them on the collar and stitch over them with metallic gold embroidery thread.

I also plan on going to the local craft store to find a thicker 'fur' to add to the trim around the collar. They have some pretty good selections.
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dress

This is the main piece, please excuse that there are multiple partial photos, that is because at this point in time I cannot lay the whole thing out across the crafting table. My main things with this part are the piping/cording, fixing the lights and their covering orbs (and adding seam 'pockets' to cover the edges) and the ring at the bottom of the dress. I will be adding another layer of 'fur' trim to it to get the full appearance, and working in the circular pieces to give it and keep its round shape and fullness. Smile
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks gorgeous so far! I can't imagine how many hours went into it. Smile Looking forward to watching you finish it!
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your work! If you are planning to have the gown keep its "trumpet" shape, I would recommend a hoop skirt with steel boning underneath the gown. I've also heard of people use hula-hoops or something round at the bottom too, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

Best of luck, I look forward to watching your updates!
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you, this is a dream come true for me, as I've been an avid Star Wars fan since I was little. ^^
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is definitely a challenging costume to do, but quite beautiful. Smile

It's important to get a good trumpet shape to the skirt and that means you need good, and rigid, support for it. I believe the movie one had boning sewn in channels under every piping line of the dress. And a ring along the bottom will be essential.

I can't see if your dress has them, but also pay attention to the three sleeves; the outer long and pointed ones, the middle ones (also with fur trim), and the fitted ones that covers the base of the hand (no fur trim). Both outer and middle sleeves should be made from the bengaline fabric the rest of the dress is made from.

I hope you will have good luck with this as I know it can be difficult to do. Just take your time; better to go slow and progress, than to go quickly and make mistakes.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: So my Mom and I were studying both the original costume and my cosplay one (the one in the pictures) from 2014. Though it's an awesome version to wear for simple conventions and around town, it's not quite right for what I need for this community; the cosplay costume is not long enough to re-seat the 'orbs' or for the right tabard length.

So I'm going to start over on the dress, which I don't foresee to be any issue, as I've got a fairly good concept of the analysis and construction of this costume, and have quite a bit of sewing experience. The headdress will be still used, but the cosplay dress will be used only for conventional cosplay and that sort of thing. I will post updates for the dress as I get started, hopefully beginning this weekend or even as early as tonight. Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck with it. Amadalia (appropriate emoticon must be used).
I'm glad to hear you're taking this with your head held high and aren't scared off by having to do the dress again.

Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed, proper emoticon! Amadalia
And thank you! Yes, I'm pretty confident in the construction, especially since there are some pretty good craft/fabric supply stores here, so I'm hoping to get this started ASAP. Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep us updated here. We want to see your costume come together. Smile

Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will! Absolutely! ^^
Rialynx (Darcy Renich)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, good news! Found a sewing pattern to modify as I need for the costume! Going to make a mock-up out of muslin and then draw on it where piped seams need to be, and modify it to fit the right 'drape' from bodice to hem, and extend the bottom length for the trumpet and accompanying ring and fur trim.

Then I'll take the mock-up apart, cutting where panels should be to form the 24 required and the 16 panels for each sleeve. These pieces will be used as pattern pieces to cut out the actual material when I purchase it. Smile
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here going "and I thought top stitching was hard!" That sounds like an incredible amount of work and I'm so impressed you're just taking it as "yup, and then I'm going to do X, Y, and Z and will totally do the thing!"
accioveronica (Veronica J)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you were looking for RL approval, but it might be useful for the 24 panels to find the circumference in several spots down the gown and divide by 24 to find the width of that specific point of each panel. Also, I would recommend using centimeters, as it's more precise than inches (seriously - miscalculations can really show up when you put the 24 panels together once they all add up!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: