Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8a17512c48cdaab2a551295294be9f7bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rugged Rebel Husky Bin Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Rugged Rebel Husky Bin Mod Reply with quote

I'm currently working on an RFT and Star Forge Revan at the same time while juggling 4 Jyn variants at various stages of completion and wondering how hard it could be to make a life-size K-2SO.

So what do I do? "Hmmm...my husky bin would be so much cooler if it was a glossy plasteel gray."

Base Membership Officer, Freedom Base
Executive Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1: Research
--------------------------------
If the idea is to make my husky bin look like something you could loot in a Star Wars RPG, then what do all the various crates and boxes and footlockers actually look like?

I spent an hour or so on Google Images last week, and came up with the following gallery of reference pics....

https://imgur.com/a/W6tXp

Common themes:

1. Regular glossy gray. Space metal / plasteel isn't all that METALLIC SHINY. That's what makes it so spacey.

2. Space Stripes. Especially if the paint is distressed and rugged. Especially if there's random diagonal breaks in the space stripes.

3. Dirt weathering.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 2. Base coat
---------------------------------
I knew I wanted a kind of glossy gray, but not metallic. I bought the can on the left first, but then second guessed myself because maybe gloss is too shiny, so I bought the can on the right too. (Satin is between matte and gloss)

I figured I could get away with spraying both onto different areas on the top of the bin to test...and then spray over the "wrong" color.

Gloss was moderately shiny and cool gray. Satin was not shiny at all and warm gray. So the cool gloss won out! (Cool is way more sci-fi than warm, I don't make the rules)

Lesson learned. Painting a large item takes up more time and more paint than painting a tiny 3D printed thing. Who knew??

After that first coat, I tried to cover the drips with subsequent coats, but then THOSE started dripping. But whatever. At least it's mostly even now. New plan is to call it good, let it dry, sand off the drips, and then prioritize those areas for the dirt drybrushing once I put the stripes on.

(Edit: Pulled it back into the garage because it was dark, and I'm loving the subtle not-quite-metallic shine it has in close-up, artificial light!)

~HK-47
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I had thought of doing something similar myself, though I can't narrow down the exact design I want. I was planning on buying clearance model kits for glueing down texture/greeblies.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: