Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e0df5dfeefdd579c93f66d9f1ba3795Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Smuggler standards for OCs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StonetheSkald ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Smuggler standards for OCs Reply with quote

Well Hello there!

My wife isn't interested in being a generic Jedi, but a scoundrel does appeal to her. Problem is, I've had a time trying to find membership standards for non-canon characters. She doesn't wish to be a female Han, but I didn't see much else.

Help?
BedlamX (Tommy Sutton)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the Rebel Legion does not take generic/custom anything other than Jedi (and I think some of the denizens like Tuskans...but don't quote me on that).

There are a couple of other groups I know accept them. Look around the web or feel free to contact me and I can give you the two I know of off the top of my head.

Judicial Officer-Mandalorian Mercs
Nes'ari (membership officer)-The Dark Empire
StonetheSkald ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. That's gonna break her heart.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try a Jyn Erso costume. the new lead character from "rogue one".

http://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/jyn-erso-and-diego-luna-1.jpg

https://prod.wheretowatch.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Jyn%20Erso.jpg?itok=yJn-xl4V

it doesn't matter if there are standards in place already;

in the absence of 'standards' then the costume is judged on photo references.

any character who appears in a lucasfilm production is fair game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for Jyn Erso pictures/info, I've got some links in this thread: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=873479#873479
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I would be interested to see custom scoundrels be approveable someday. There's definitely a right and wrong way to do this, but if KJO could write a logical generic Jedi standard and RAID could write a logical generic Scarif Rebel Trooper, I'm sure we can do the same with scoundrels someday.

Ideas...
- Every piece would have to be documented in reference photos for existing characters, especially background characters.
- They couldn't look too similar to an existing character. (I.e. San Holo...a smuggler who looks suspiciously similar to Han Solo, except for certain costume pieces that are difficult or expensive.)

Base Membership Officer, Freedom Base
Executive Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope, that SOLO movie will provide some resource which we can use Wink ...
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
Let's hope, that SOLO movie will provide some resource which we can use Wink ...

There are some amazing costumes in it, but they're not going to be easy builds, that's for sure.

There are downsides to the big budgets these movies have now. Sad Way more detailed custom work goes into the costume budget, compared to the off-the-shelf parts that were used for as much of the OT as possible to keep costs down...
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little bit of Legion history here, but OP Fringe characters were allowed at one time. They were limited to the Informal catagory (not sure if that is still even here either) but you were allowed to expand on a concept and make changes to make it your own.

at one time I even put together (back when I was base Commander and Legion Commander) a website with guidelines for character creation and variations.

Blackstar Squadron
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper wrote:
a little bit of Legion history here, but OP Fringe characters were allowed at one time. They were limited to the Informal catagory (not sure if that is still even here either) but you were allowed to expand on a concept and make changes to make it your own.

at one time I even put together (back when I was base Commander and Legion Commander) a website with guidelines for character creation and variations.

Yep, when I did an audit of all the Fringe build threads, costume standards, and approved costumes, I saw two custom smuggler kits that had been grandfathered in. I can't wait to try to bring it back. If KJO worked out a way to get custom Jedi approvable, I'm confident that we can do the same with smugglers someday!

Do you still have those guidelines? I would love to have them for my own research.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guidelines are long gone, but I could recreate them with people who are interested in this. There is a lot more material out there today, between the Legacy material and New Canon to base it on.

when I was a full member, I had a Custom smuggler approved as well.

Blackstar Squadron
Jaren Valnor (Ryan Miorelli)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this compares to generic Jedi for the simple reason that all Jedi wore the same basic thing, with a few outliers like Luminara Unduli or Shaak Ti as the exception, not the rule, to the 200+ we have seen in the movies.

Smugglers are, by definition, their own thing. Han, Chewie, Lando (in Rebels and Solo), Dash Rendar, Nico Okarr...these are all smugglers, but there's no singular unifying outfit between them. It's easy to standardize Jedi down to two tunics, tabards, obi, belt, and robe in earth toned natural fabrics because there were dozens, probably hundreds, made for AotC and these guidelines existed based on what the wardrobe department turned out.

I just don't see custom smugglers fitting our brand of replicating accurate Star Wars hero costumes. I think there are a couple groups out there already for this kind of thing, though, come to think of it.
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I think custom smugglers are a cool idea unfortunately I don't think the concept has a place in the Rebel Legion. We strive to replicate screen accuracy and when we start bringing in costumes that can be highly customizable we actually move away from screen accuracy.

As Jaren Valnor, mentioned generic Jedi work because the costume is very close to a uniform with some variations which can be captured in a standard. Smugglers have their own unique style and there would be no way to write a clear standard that captures all the variation that the judges could use to assess costumes.
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep it as a pipe dream for someday. The idea is to find a solution that addresses all the downsides.

Smugglers are highly customizeable, but RL custom smugglers wouldn't be. Look at all the people with flap shirts in various colors. Look at boots, jackets, bloodstripe pants, and gun belts. It's *theoretically* possible to make a limited range of custom smugglers that are just as recognizably Star Wars as a generic jedi with a yellow and baby blue dress.

~HK-47
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
As much as I think custom smugglers are a cool idea unfortunately I don't think the concept has a place in the Rebel Legion. We strive to replicate screen accuracy and when we start bringing in costumes that can be highly customizable we actually move away from screen accuracy.

As Jaren Valnor, mentioned generic Jedi work because the costume is very close to a uniform with some variations which can be captured in a standard. Smugglers have their own unique style and there would be no way to write a clear standard that captures all the variation that the judges could use to assess costumes.

Fully agree, because in the end ... when we even tried in past to wrote generic smuggler standard ... we ended with standard, which would allowed pass RL membership with same costume:

I am not saying we did the best choices possible, but as I wrote, with new material from upcoming movies ... I believe there will be huge variety of new key smugglers to satisfy anyone Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: