Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f7c2051fef25c9efb6aee375ba14d0b7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrincessSmokey (Jasmine Seales)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso WIP Reply with quote

I'm forcing myself to make this because I didn't do one for Rey and I know this will help keep me on schedule! Currently working on Jyn to start my second RL costume! I've already ordered and received the shirt and scarf, and am currently waiting for my blaster and gloves to arrive. I'm getting ready to start the pants and the vest, and am looking for boots right now. Does anyone have any links for some pants that can be modified? The H&M ones that have been suggest the most are out of stock at my local store and online, and I have a pattern but I'm thinking a pair of modifyable pants might end up being cheaper. Also, boot suggestions that aren't Fyre? As long as they don't have a visible zipper and are a dark brown, with the modifications I make should it be easy to get a pair-approved? Or do that boots have specific seems that need to be seen?

Thanks guys!!!! So excited to be working on this project Smile.
fleurderys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jasmine!!

Ok, so before I scored my used Fryes on eBay, I'd read elsewhere that others had luck with Lucky "November" boots, but you have to deglaze, redye, and seal.

I've also seen others have great luck with the boots on eBay from China- I think you have to do some cleanup work to them, like snip off some excess velcro or glue bits and maybe darken them overall -- but the flaps AND buckles are already included and attached. Very easy/affordable option!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleurderys wrote:
Hi Jasmine!!

Ok, so before I scored my used Fryes on eBay, I'd read elsewhere that others had luck with Lucky "November" boots, but you have to deglaze, redye, and seal.

I've also seen others have great luck with the boots on eBay from China- I think you have to do some cleanup work to them, like snip off some excess velcro or glue bits and maybe darken them overall -- but the flaps AND buckles are already included and attached. Very easy/affordable option!

OOh I hadn't seen the ones from China! I did already buy buckles for the shoes but these do look like a really good option and hopefully approvable? I might try to hit up some thrift stores and use these if I don't find anything. I am hoping to have this done before the end of March Smile.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also! Do the shoes have to have the top stitching on the two leather flaps over the laces for approval?
fleurderys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a judge BUT the way the standards read it doesn't seem like the 2-3 seams over the laces are necessary, just the topstitched border? Jen/Jenna should be weighing in shortly Very Happy

Also, your question about the pants. Are you on the Stardust Sisters FB group? We've had a heck of at time trying to find a new pair of pants that could be modified, but no luck yet. The pants with those seams always have pockets...
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually do ask/strongly suggest that you add the stitching on the flaps. It's a little detail, but makes a big difference in how it looks. We (by "we" I mean my husband, ha!) were able to sew the stitching onto the flaps with the sewing machine to get that look, and it didn't take long once we figured out how to do it.
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) and Jyn Erso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: