Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b004637fd54c1972c3afba1ad3109dbbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Medium green for flight suit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK-42Juan ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Medium green for flight suit Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I'm new to this. I have a helmet in the works and hopefully a chest box as well. I'd like to start on the flight suit. I see that the acceptable color of fabric has changed to a medium green color. I recently picked up the updated and expanded character encyclopedia. I believe I have found a color that is hopefully acceptable. If not, would anyone know a specific color to look for?

I don't know anything about fabric or sewing so I'm not sure if this is an acceptable material. Hope it's ok to share a link. This is what I came across.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/ui-988/diversitex-polyester-cotton-twill-kelly-green
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Regarding your question, that material looks a little bit too much on the blue side to me. This one seems like it might be a better match...
https://www.fabric.com/buy/ff-340/kaufman-essex-linen-blend-kelly?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

You might also check out this place, it looks like they have a pair of coveralls that might be a decent green color...
http://www.kevinsmenswear.co.uk/boilersuits.html

These might not be bad, either, but it's hard to tell from the picture because the color is so blown out...
https://www.ebay.com/p/Mens-Coverall-Overall-Boilersuit-Mechanic-Protective-Work-S-5xl-Portwest-S999-Green-Regular-XL/1366419591

Keep in mind that if you get a pair off-the-shelf coveralls you will need two pair of them, one for the suit and one to cut up for the pockets, and get them both at the same time, the same brand, and the same size to help ensure that they're (hopefully) from the same dye batch.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RLSC Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK-42Juan ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really see the blue in my link looking at them side by side. I really like the one you suggested first. Those coveralls are nice too. It's nice to have options. I have the original trilogy costume book on the way and will try and compare. Thank you again for your suggestions! It is greatly appreciated!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. Good luck!

Just an FYI, but sometimes you have to take the pictures in those Character Encyclopedias with a grain of salt. Sometimes the pictures are Photoshopped and have colors switched around or have parts spliced together, so the pictures aren't always very accurate. I have one that came out a few years ago that uses the pre-production picture of Ten Numb (with the white coveralls) and the picture of him was badly Photoshopped to turn the white coveralls red, and it's noticeable because the red bleeds onto other parts that weren't properly deselected in the edit, and the red is almost a neon red, while the canon B-wing pilot suits are a fairly dark Chinese red. It also has a picture of an A-wing pilot that was clearly originally just a bust picture because they spliced Ten Numb's legs onto the A-wing pilot and recolored them. Razz

The Star Wars Costumes book has some great references, though, and aren't heavily edited.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TK-42Juan ()

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Original Trilogy costume book just came in and wow are you right. This book is a fantastic reference with high quality pictures of the screen used costumes. Absolutely wonderful!

I've heard use a mandarin collar when making the flight suit but the one in the costume book looks different. Any idea what an acceptable collar would be? I'm not sure if what's going to be the new standard should be based off the pictures in the OT costume book. Just trying to get everything straight before I start making a flight suit and flak vest. Thanks again for all the help!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the collar is actually an English Spread style collar with a small rectangular closure flap that closes to the left hand side.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: