Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1ac206037f45088b7d030429d282d947Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

U wing helmet build
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtyler3 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: U wing helmet build Reply with quote

Starting a thread as I received my SPH-4 helmet in the mail. Stripped it down and have started working on the measurements for the 3 Mohawk pieces and the visor assembly.

One of the things I really like about this helmet is that it is a nearly straight forward conversion of a real helmet, and doesn't have all of the greeblies stuff seen on the other earlier rebel helmets that are a pain since most of them have no good pictures or other reference material.

I also got in the correct mike and boom, but the mic must have been modified as the boom/mic attachment is not the same as the body and tip

Will add pics today.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to use imgur for some pictures as it is just easier it seems for a lot of them.

https://imgur.com/a/ehNH8

EDIT: I believe I have almost every picture of the U wing helmet/suit known. If any one has other or knows of other please let me know. There are a couple I did not include as what I have covered those pictures adequately.

For the visor track either they modified the original or created a new one. there are substantial differences in the shape.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 am; edited 2 times in total
TC-760 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mic is made up of parts from three different types. They probably 3D printed the tip and just used the off-the-shelf metal part.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the mic is a bit simpler than that. Check out these photos:

It looks to me like they used the mic and the attachment points for it but did add something onto the end of the mic to attach the boom wire to.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the two small screw heads (or whatever they are) attach the bottom part where the boom wire attach. Meaning it might be an assembly from another type of mic.

TC-760 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the metal part of the boom mike, I don't think anything on the helmet is actually a found item. Now they did take found parts, scan them, alter them in 3D and than print masters. That's why the mic tip doesn't match up identical to the actual found item, same with the visor "ram horns", they are very similar to the found item, but they arne't.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more work done.

Messed with the visor cover. I did a bunch of comparative measuring of the pictures to get as close as I can to the correct size... I started cutting down the top of the cover, stopped to see how it was progressing and realized that the bottom part is also shaped differently from the actual cover and the U wing. The bottom is cut along the line of the edging of the helmet., whereas the cover is shaped so that it is parallel to the ground when being worn.

I drew a rough line across the bottom edge.

I stopped working on the top part as I think I might have already cut too much off....the measurement I got for the cover face is 55mm. So tomorrow I will line that bottom edge up and see if I messed this one up.

Also, I have a double visor set up and I am sure the U wing is a single. That will bring the visor cover much closer to the helmet than what I have here.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, I found this really cool plastic to work with for the Mohawk. You just heat it up (water is best I found) and it will become very flexible. It doesn't take much heat at all and will soften very fast. Once it cools it becomes solid, hard plastic again.

Here is the base of the feature. I messed around to see how this stuff works. I will have a lot of sanding, perhaps some light bondo to smooth it out, but it was super easy to build out the shape.

wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. i messed up. As I realized that I might have cut the visor too much, because of the bottom edge lining up with the rubber edging, I also realized that the side mounts are also lined up to the rubber edge...
So I had to drill new holes for the posts that the visor mounts use, and then I put the visor on and that 6mm change in the holes location has put my original cuts for the visor cover face way to short.

TC-760 is correct, they modified this helmet much more than I thought.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the mic:

I put a small compilation of what we have so far.

I also got the correct clip for the mic, but I will need to have a buddy model the connector.

As you can see from the compilation, they filled in the large side clips (made them solid) and somehow attached the boom connection to the top where the 4 rivet bumps are... I will prob have to grind them flat and expoy the created connector with the bumps on it....
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I got the replacement double visor cover in, along with the single visor mounts for the SPH-4 helmet. There are no single visor covers for this helmet that do not have the channel down the middle for the visor so I got another SHP-4 double visor.

I had to redrill a hole for the bottom screw position for the single mounts and then I took some time and shaved the Bottom of the visor cover to just at the line above the rubber edge cover, same as the movie helmet.

Now I can correctly measure the top line (based on my comparison measurement the face should be about 55mm) and I will work on getting that done this weekend.

Also there are very small bumps at the edge where the slide housing meets the visor cover that need to be removed to provide a straight line.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 5 times in total
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to trim the visor mounts to match and I am waiting for the mic adapter, mic base, and the slide top to come in from 3D printing. A buddy of mine created them for me.

The visor slide part is going to need to be redone, The stock one is for a double visor and sticks way to far about the visor cover, along with the fact the top shape is not correct.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

The SPH-4 double visor cover will not work. It is too rounded and gives a bulbous look to the cover. So I have ordered a single visor cover. It will require a lot more modification since it has the slide channel in the middle. I also noticed that the angle of the end part, where I had originally removed a small bump, is not the correct angle from the available pictures. I could not figure out why I was not getting the right profile until I realized that I needed to add onto the end. So I cut a bit from the other visor and glued it onto the end.

The slide buttons, the mic adapter, and the mic base are done at the printers and will arrive in a few days.

I am starting on the Mohawks which I expect to go a bit slower than I had wanted...

wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

The SPH-4 single visor cover will not work. So it is back to the double (which is still not exact) or scratch build one.

I don't know what is wrong with me as i keep making this harder than it should be. I am working on the central Mohawk part and decided to integrate it into the helmet, So I cut out the center strip.... now trying to figure out how to do this with some semblance of artistry..

Also got some of the small bits in, a coupe of pics of the mic base - needs the cap to be re-sized. the base and body I think are fine.

The slide buttons also needed to be resized. should be here this week.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

While waiting for the modified small bits to come in the mail, I did the slide covers. Not that happy with them but a good start.

Original:

Modified:

With button slide:

I also found that the visor housing mounts, in addition to being lowered to align with the rubber edging, they also rotated it back to adjust the angle of the front of it. I found this out while trying to match these to the visor I cut but the angles just were not lining up. So I ordered a new visor housing (lucky they are cheap, (just the cost of shipping sucks) and will redo that part once it comes in.

This is moving very slowly.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: