Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b3a3a341093253c44a4a64c860bba22Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another new Y wing helmet project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtyler3 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Another new Y wing helmet project Reply with quote

In my quest to put a Y wing helmet together I started with the known kit available but it in the process of putting it together I decided to start over with something more to my liking. I contacted Fierfek to put a pepakura model together and he did a fabulous job in ensuring the form is as exact as possible.

Check it out:
https://fierfekspremiumpeps.wordpress.com/

I am halfway through assembling it and hope to start the fiberglassing this weekend. My first attempt at this kind of thing so it aint all that pretty. But bondo and sanding should create a helmet that I can work with:)

I will post a pic once the model is complete.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I've never tried my hand at a Pepakura model, it always looks so complicated to put together. I don't really even understand the process. Heh. I'll be curious to see what you do with it though.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually pretty fun. Putting a 3d puzzle together. I was watching tutorials and those guys were making really incredible stuff using this technique.

[/url]1

I am close but I think I up scaled it too much since it is really huge. The cool thing is all I need to do is print it again:) Cheap fix.
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show screenshots of the back and overside?
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing.

back

side
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pass at this is done but the model has a small issue that needs to be addressed. So I am stuck until it get resolved.

Here is what I have done and although it is really rough I dont think that much bondo and sanding is required.

IMG_1261

IMG_1260

IMG_1259

IMG_1263
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrected model.

redone
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I posted on this project. I have been doing a ton on it.

I had Fierfek do the pepakura model for me, but after 3 attempts and more bondo/sanding than I care to remember, I decided there has to be another way.

So I looked at the 3D printing possibilities. I have been following this technology for years since I first heard about it. I actually built my own reprap prusa model. Never got it to work, but now that i have this project ongoing I decided to get it together. Figure it out.

I contact Ruhlessfx (https://www.facebook.com/ruthlessfx) to see if they would be interested in modeling the 3 ROTJ helmets. i had a buddy put in some serious time to create the base helmet, and wanted a professional to finalize it. So here we are a few months into it and it is about to move into the printing phase.

I am by nature always focused on the small details, so Ruthless was very considerate on my concerns and used the numerous photos from the album to ensure the model is as close to the original helmets as possible. I know there is a model out there but it isnt up to my OCDish qualities on this stuff.

Here is the nearly finalized model:

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the while I put in the serious time on my printer to get it working. It actually works now:). In addition continuing to work on the greeblies for the helmets. I put a number of them up on shapeways (no mark up-at cost as I am not interested in making money on them) so anyone who wants to make this helmet will have choices.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/star-wars-helmet-bits

I hope to have detailed shots of the few remaining ones that I want to model in the next week or so. A forum member has graciously offered to go back to the Star Wars exhibit currently in Orlando to focus on those ones and get me the best pics she can.

This community is awesome.

Last edited by wtyler3 () on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Will,
your 3d design looks perfect to me and the new 3D technic is great for helmet projects. I had mine from a guy in the Neahterland who design and print it for me but it was very expensive and I must made many modifications by hand which you see in my thread.But yours looks perfect to me and I hope to became a 3D printer shortly by myself to made my own prints. On the other side there is a 3D Designer on the RPF forum how design and print a helmet for $300. His works looks great and I had contacted him about a TLJ Bomber and A-Wing helmets which are my next projects. But the favorite helmet is the Y-Wing one. I had received spare parts from Tamiya and one of them is the Cylinder part which we can see on the left side of 2 helmets and I will cast it shortly.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed your build very closely. It was all of the extra work you had to do that was one of the factors that lead me to redo the 3D model.

I also got the 2 motorcycle kits for the greeblies, and have should have the two ear pieces and the chin piece done in 3D models here very soon. They are actually done but due to my obsessiveness with accuracy they are being touched up. It is the right side cheek pieces and the one forehead piece that have alluded me (but that should come to and end here:)

The visor will most likely be made by ruthless as they have a vacuum table. His work is pretty amazing so far. The visor is almost perfect.
wtyler3 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Ruthless is almost done with the helmet and visor. He will be selling this kit so get in line:)

I have also sent him all of my greeblie models, so he will have a great set of options for anyone wanting this helmet. I am one short of all of them and hope to have that one done as soon as I can get additional photos. I removed them from shapeways from my little shop of horrors.

I have parts printing so once I get them done I will post up more on the build.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Ruthless? Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am. Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, had to delete that link. Wink

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
I am. Evil or Very Mad

Sorry, had to delete that link. Wink
Oh man, you are aren't you? Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: