Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bab5f0ff802a55bf6c5a297cccc5f6a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

10 ways to help your detachment(s) revise costume standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: 10 ways to help your detachment(s) revise costume standards Reply with quote

Evening everyone! As the DXO for Docking Bay 94 (Fringe), I've been involved in the standards rewrite discussion since I came onboard in October. Now that the new format is out, it's time for the hard part - converting each existing standard to the new format and making any necessary changes while we’re at it. My biggest takeaway from all the discussions is that the success of this project will stand on a foundation of detachment resources. To help the project, we need to help all our detachments achieve this simple vision: (...well it's my vision for DB94 at least!)

"Help people build approvable costumes more effectively (cheaper, faster, more accurate, and more informed)"

I already posted a variation of the following list specifically for my own detachment, but I want to empower ALL motivated "active legion members" to become a positive force in their detachments. The better each detachment's resources and websites are, the faster we'll get around to fixing your favorite (or least favorite!) costume standard.

10 ways to help your detachment(s) revise costume standards better

1. Do Join
If you haven't done so yet, actually join each detachment that you have an approved costume for. Most signup threads can be found in a sticky post on the detachment's main forum.

2. Post in your detachment(s) more
Find other people's posts that look interesting, and comment on them. Find other people's build threads, especially prospective member build threads, and comment with encouragement and suggestions and links. If you find yourself talking about important, useful things at troops or with Legion friends on Facebook, compile it and share it on the forums. Stuff on Facebook tends to vanish fast. Remember what your friend said on that one post somewhere four months ago? Remember the link you posted in your favorite group chat last week? Good luck digging those up!

3. Gather reference photos
How many photos have you used in your costume builds? Gather your hoard! Flickr galleries, Imgur galleries, Facebook galleries, and Pinterest boards. Email attachments. Random sub-folders on your hard drive. (Imgur is a much sharing-er place than your hard drive btw!) Links to other people's galleries that you like. High res is awesome! For maximum usefulness, preserve info about the source. (i.e. XYZ Magazine, Original costume on display at ____ , Brand and model name of screen accurate original item) Get ready to share!

4. Write and compile tutorials
If the best way to make a Chewbacca bandolier box can be found on page 12 of a build thread from 2006, then the best way to make a Chewbacca bandolier box can't really be found at all. If you did something you're proud of in one of your builds, make a seperate tutorial for it. Get ready to share. Assemble your favorite tutorials elsewhere on the internet. If you found something really helpful on page 12 of a build thread from 2006, comment and thank the person and encourage them to make a tutorial of their own and get ready to share.

5. Do some spring cleaning on your build threads
Go back to your build threads, and fill in any missing information. Do you have links to everything you bought online? Do you have photos of all the interesting tools and spray can products you used to get each effect? (Etc...) If you have an approved costume and never did a build thread, go back and make one. You probably don't need one if your build process was literally just buying a friend's already-approved costume or if you assembled a very common costume from very well-known sources. Otherwise, I know you'll have at least something interesting or useful to contribute. Get ready to share!

6. Web design
If you know how to use WordPress, volunteer! Many detachments don't have webmasters...or even websites! And websites are critical for taking all those resources you just shared and organizing it all into a format that helps people build approvable costumes more effectively.

7. Draft your own edits to costume standards.
For each existing costume standard that you have Feelings about, make a personal document with all your suggested edits and then sit on it until the time is right.

8. Draft new costume standards!
If you have an approved costume that there is no costume standard for, then start by looking for a WIP costume standard thread in the appropriate detachment. If you find one, then comment on it with some suggestions. If you can’t find one, then create a draft of your own and post it.

9. Volunteer to be a Legion Costume Judge.
PM the LMO and volunteer to judge as many of your approved costumes that you feel especially knowledgeable on.

10. Inspire people
If you see someone frustrated about old costume standards or detachment inactivity or judges or anything else, then suggest things from this thread or even just link to it. Challenge them to make a difference.
“Be the change you wish to see in the Legion” - Gandhi, if he was a Star Wars fan probably

11. Bonus!
If it's like 2023, and you have Thoughts about costume standards, count how many things from this list that you actually ended up doing before you complain to anyone. Smile

Commanding Officer, Docking Bay 94 Detachment
2017/18: DXO DB94, BMO Freedom Base

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47

Last edited by coryphefish (Colleen J) on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such a great post Colleen. I've made it an announcement because I think this is really helpful. I know a lot of people want to help improve the legion and your post outlines several ways in which people can.
D-3po ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, what if there is no detachment?
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-3po wrote:
Um, what if there is no detachment?

Every costume should have a detachment to call home, if not let us know and we'll figure out the best home for it Smile
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you mean Threepio? And I'm guessing you're asking how to get involved and share resources for him?

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threepio and other wearable droids don't have a detachment currently as far as I can tell. So it's a valid question. But then we should certainly discuss how to solve that issue and make sure nothing falls between the detachments. Smile

Great list, btw. It's easy to complain about things, but if people get involved then they can really make a difference and help make the legion better.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
D-3po ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:
I'm guessing you mean Threepio? And I'm guessing you're asking how to get involved and share resources for him?

That is correct. Please keep me posted as i would love to help anyway possible.
coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-3po wrote:
Please keep me posted as i would love to help anyway possible.

The Rebel Legion Droids subforum can be found under the Rebel Supporters subforum:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=264

C-3P0 Builders Website and Forums:
https://bc3pobuilders.runboard.com/

C-3P0 Builders Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/625083917695138/

And that's just stuff i've randomly come across and/or looked up with a quick Google search. My advice for your next steps:

1. Become active in the Droids subforum. Encourage people. Compile every resource that helped you get approved, and make sure that it can easily be found by others interested in Threepio. Share the droidbuilders communities if they're not there already.

2. If you want an official Detachment for droids along with a website, that is a fantastic idea, and could definitely happen. Ask your contacts, post in the subforum and Facebook group. Get a list of 2-3 people who want to help you put it all together and write the charter. Then reach out to me or Blair, and we'll point you toward the official process and form to fill out. There's at least two other teams creating new detachments right now, and we'd love to help you build a third!

PS: Looks like you had a great opportunity over three years ago to help build a droid detachment....maybe go back and see if it's not too late to harness all that stale excitement?
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60682

~HK-47
Moo (Murray Karena)
Tatooine Base CO
Tatooine Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! Thank you for this Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

coryphefish wrote:
D-3po wrote:
Please keep me posted as i would love to help anyway possible.

The Rebel Legion Droids subforum can be found under the Rebel Supporters subforum:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=264

C-3P0 Builders Website and Forums:
https://bc3pobuilders.runboard.com/

C-3P0 Builders Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/625083917695138/

And that's just stuff i've randomly come across and/or looked up with a quick Google search. My advice for your next steps:

1. Become active in the Droids subforum. Encourage people. Compile every resource that helped you get approved, and make sure that it can easily be found by others interested in Threepio. Share the droidbuilders communities if they're not there already.

2. If you want an official Detachment for droids along with a website, that is a fantastic idea, and could definitely happen. Ask your contacts, post in the subforum and Facebook group. Get a list of 2-3 people who want to help you put it all together and write the charter. Then reach out to me or Blair, and we'll point you toward the official process and form to fill out. There's at least two other teams creating new detachments right now, and we'd love to help you build a third!

PS: Looks like you had a great opportunity over three years ago to help build a droid detachment....maybe go back and see if it's not too late to harness all that stale excitement?
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60682

stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Threepio and other wearable droids don't have a detachment currently as far as I can tell. So it's a valid question. But then we should certainly discuss how to solve that issue and make sure nothing falls between the detachments. Smile

Great list, btw. It's easy to complain about things, but if people get involved then they can really make a difference and help make the legion better.

threepio, and guri and other humanoid droids are part of the UCGR detachment

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • Temple Master Tosche Temple Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to know. Smile Detachment info just said 'no droids', but I suppose it's just means the non-human sized ones.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Leroni (Leroni)
Lothal Base CO
Lothal Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coryphefish wrote:

sorry jump in here. but the charter says:

"There must be 20 members to form a Detachment."

http://www.rebellegion.com/legion-charter/#5

yours
leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

coryphefish (Colleen J)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leroni wrote:

sorry jump in here. but the charter says:

"There must be 20 members to form a Detachment."

What part of my comment are you talking about? This one?
"Get a list of 2-3 people who want to help you put it all together and write the charter. Then reach out to me or Blair, and we'll point you toward the official process"

Those 2-3 people are just to help him with early planning, not for making up the whole detachment. Then when he gets to the part where he reaches out to me or Blair and hears about the official process of making a detachment, lots more things will happen, including getting all 20 members.

~HK-47
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: