Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a7f76660055ce5c5000d98a95c532237Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question abouts robe seams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Question abouts robe seams Reply with quote

CRL says: no seams visible

I just looked at the latest approved jawas and most of them have seams on the left and right side or the backside of the robe.

Are seams allowed now or not?

E.g. 501st allows them.

I'm just asking because a jawa builder (where i want to buy the jawa) is sewing it with left and right seams at the robe.
501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
Myna Sturnidae (Kimberly Ramsay)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Question abouts robe seams Reply with quote

Saifai wrote:
CRL says: no seams visible

I just looked at the latest approved jawas and most of them have seams on the left and right side or the backside of the robe.

Are seams allowed now or not?

I'm just asking because a jawa builder (where i want to buy the jawa) is sewing it with left and right seams at the robe.

Hello,

A Jawa robe is not made like a bathrobe. Seams should be kept to a minimum. Traditionally, the below pattern is used for Jawas:

A single length of fabric is draped over the body. A single seam is used to close under the arm and down the side of the body. These seams are obscured. If you are a tall person, whose arm breadth is too wide, then you may attach the sleeves separately, as in the image above.

The key is not have blatantly visible sleeve seams halfway down your biceps. You're draping each piece of fabric over the top of your body. This will give you three pieces (vs. the single piece, if you are smaller).

There should not be a center back seam, a shoulder seam, or outer sleeve seam, etc.

Quote:
E.g. 501st allows them.

The 501st Legion CRLs for Jawas do not mention allowing visible seams. The visual example shown uses the same pattern as the above image, with a single seam under the arm and down the side.
GRRRL 72
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there should definitely not be any seams visible on the tops of the arms. (sorry, someone tried)
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LCJs try to be as consistent as possible when judging costumes for specific costumes elements. Occasionally we are focused on other parts of the costume and one gets through... we are human after all. Wink A costume approved in the past is not an argument to approve a costume in the present. We are continuously improving our communication with applicants and updating the CRLs whenever possible. However, regardless of what the "text" says in the CRLs (not mentioning a specific restriction does not in turn mean it's acceptable), the end goal is to match the available film references.

Here is a visual to help explain the pattern posted by Kimberly:

Ideally a Jawa robe is made from a single piece of fabric, folded over the body, and sewn up the sides and the insides of the arms.

For larger Jawas, the body is made the same, and arms are attached separately. The body has no center back seam.

In this example, the sleeves are attached high at the top of the shoulder cap, and are obscured by the natural drape and folds of the fabric on the body.

In the example you posted, the sleeves are attached low on the shoulder, ad are clearly visible.

You want to have the sleeves higher as such.

Regarding "tops of the arms", you don't want to pattern the pieces like a traditional garment, where the front and back of the body are separate pieces, and the sleeves are from multiple pieces. This creates seams along the shoulder line, and tops (or outer sides) of the arms. You do not want seams on the top of the shoulder or down the outside of the arm.

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Rebel: RT, RS, JD, WH, RP, JD, RT, CL, RT, RS, RT, WH, JD, RT, RT
Apollo Base - Columbus, Ohio

Last edited by TrooperPX (David Ramsay) on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright.

ty so far.

i dont understand your last sentence with the shoulder / arm seams and what you painted in the picture.

i mean, in the picture there is no seam at the arms. should there be seams or why did you paint that line?

sorry didnt understand your explanation :-)
501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifai wrote:
i dont understand your last sentence with the shoulder / arm seams and what you painted in the picture.

You asked what I considered the "tops of the arms". Where those dot-lines are are where the tops of the arms are considered. There should be NO seams there. I was just trying to show you a location on the body.

501st: ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI, DZ
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
Saifai wrote:

You asked what I considered the "tops of the arms". Where those dot-lines are are where the tops of the arms are considered. There should be NO seams there. I was just trying to show you a location on the body.

Alright ty.

Don't understand me wrong. I think so, too that there should be no seams. That's why i am asking. :-)
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're contracting someone to may this robe for you, please make sure they understand the expectations. They can come to this thread and ask any questions too. Wink

Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
If you're contracting someone to may this robe for you, please make sure they understand the expectations. They can come to this thread and ask any questions too. Wink

roger that :-)
Shanakin (Shannen Lynn)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is this still the advice for jawas? Is it permitted to have separate sleeves to the main body?

Thanks Smile

Shannen Lynn
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanakin wrote:
Hi, is this still the advice for jawas? Is it permitted to have separate sleeves to the main body?

Thanks Smile

Yes, because sometimes your arms are just too long to make it work otherwise.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanakin wrote:

Thanks Smile

It's best to pattern the sleeves like a raglan, and not like a bathrobe.

A raglan sleeve goes into (or in the case of a Jawa, very close to) the neck, where the seam is obscured by the hood and bandoliers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Tuskens and Jawas All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: