Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=41aeb1f6253a34e526f43f58008f7af0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

PZ-4CO build any help appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew55 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: PZ-4CO build any help appreciated. Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm new and I've been working on a PZ build, well at the moment I'm going to do the bust of the Droid it will be my biggest project to date and in order to not bite off more than I can chew I don't want to commit to a full costume. As someone mentioned the arms, legs, and abdomen are very similar to C-3PO. But the head and neck are really unique. This is my first foray into costume making I've only done props previously.
I really like the look of PZ and like her role as Leia's droid. I prefer the force awakens version rather than the last Jedi version. The collar was changed quite a bit and the neck is less pronounced.
I started posting about the build on the rpf but hoped I could increase potential feedback by talking about it here too. If I can get experienced Droid builder feedback it can only help.
I seemed to get the impression reading other people's concerns about Droid costumes being limited to certain body types. Very short for the smaller droids or relatively short andvery thin as in 3PO. While PZ is 6 foot 9 inches and a larger scale from 3PO. I'm a 6 foot 220 lb dude I'm not extra large but PZ affords new and I hope others a chance to expand into droid costuming.
I mentioned I'm super new to the forums I'll figure out picture posting and fill you guys in on my progress and reference materials as I go.
I'd say any advice is appreciated but it may be vital. I'm in unknown territory when it comes to costuming.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely interested. Do you plan to do 3D printing? Eva foam construction?
Drew55 ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva foam for the most part. Not equipped for 3d printing.
I'm still trying to figure out picture posting so I can go over what I've discovered and what progress I've made. It's usually a no-no to recommend another site but the pictures are up on the rpf if you want to look before I can transfer them. I'm the only one on either site doing a PZ build so it's easily found through a search.
I can try to verbally describe what I've accomplished this far.
I started thing to find the differences between the person in the costume and the Droid (as well as the actress in the costume and me I'm about 5 inches taller and probably 75lbs heavier). The actors head is in pz's neck the human shoulders are at the very bottom of the Droid pauldrons. The bottom of the Droid chest piece is at the actors nipple line. The bottom of the Droid neck is around the humans chin... This sort of calculation ... I did this with the approximation that the human body is about 8 heads tall took the actresses height from imdb divided by eight then a bunch of other math stuff that I'll share if asked for but don't want to bore the uninterested with.
After a few false starts I ended up buying from the top down working on the droids head then neck then I'll get into the shoulder pauldrons and chest piece. The face is luckily pretty smooth unlike 3p0's. The dome head is 2/3s done now. I have to attach the bottom of the face and deal with the lights for the eyes yet (I really dislike soldering and my last project has a lot of it so I'm saving that for later) the ears are still needing to be attached. The long neck took me a while to figure out also but that is constructed too. The neck is divided into the bottom still part of the chest piece and the top neck where the actors head is. I haven't done any chest piece stuff yet but the neck is well underway.
Before I hit submit I'll try attaching a picture maybe I can put the picture directly from the other site if it doesn't work and someone can instruct me I'd appreciate it.
Drew55 ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops double post but it looks like I can do that picture thing. But as it's after 4am here Ill wait till tomorrow to put more pictures up
Drew55 ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture post to catch up what I've done so far

first 3 pictures are general reference picture one I got from the net when I started researching it. I later found that's the picture in the character encyclopedia by DK. Picture 2 I took it's the PZ page in the visual dictionaries of TFA and TLJ The Last Jedi book had a bigger pic of PZ but I still prefer the TFA version. Pic three is some behind the scenes from the net I'm assuming it's ilm but can't be sure.

These were me trying to figure out the height the first with Carrie and Billie (Leia and Connix, if you prefer) is more detailed but weirdly angled messing with the perspective. That was from a magazine I believe. The next picture was just from Google images some grainy behind the scenes pic but it was helpful. I put the measurement picture next to it and could determine/calculate heights and where the actor's head is.

I got this one up yesterday I went over the detail lines in red to see the cuts better. (I'm still not planning on doing arms for the scope of my current project but I was on a roll)

various notes and reminders taken and jotted down. The last 2 are from the last Jedi but the others are TFA
Ok one more too

Then the rest are my work in progress pictures:

Earliest ones

Back and sides of the head

Droid neck

Self portrait

The droid face
Drew55 ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't given up, and I am still making progress. I don't think I could convey with still pics what I've done. I did upload a video... And I keep thinking that is against a rule but I couldn't find that when I looked if someone calls me on it I'll take it down and try taking a bunch of pictures and explanation. Somehow... Anyway YouTube link here https://youtu.be/jqsjg8tW0ns
D-3po ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Quite the build so far!
Keep going. Can't wait to see it finished!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: