Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=db4166fb14fcc8cb10d44e4a5158c46eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

G'Day from Tampa Bay, Wookiee style!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Btabc ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: G'Day from Tampa Bay, Wookiee style! Reply with quote

So I have just made the decision to embrace my inner fuzzball! I currently have ONE costume in the works and after I finish that.... I'll probably only have room for one more. I'm already approved as a Stormtrooper, Jawa (both legions) and Starkiller so I wanted to do something a LITTLE more recognizable... and the only characters I thought of are Vader and Chewie. Now I'm about 5'8"... so Vader is immediately thrown out of the window, however a Wookiee isn't off the table. I know it's a costly costume, but I have seen several builds where it's "budget friendly".

My main concern at first was the mask... how... where... what mats? So I asked a few people and their first response "There are plenty of threads, read up". Now I draw a lot... and the things that I have questions on aren't necessarily what others have covered so I tend to be... shall I say... OCD?! Surprised LOL! However once I asked exactly what my concerns were, I got the answer I was looking for. One question down!

I have also started making a list of things that I'll be needing. Mesh, DIY bucket style stilts, mask/kit (which for me will cost the most upfront and not combined) and the fur/hair........... PLENTY OF FUR/HAIR!!!! Thank goodness I know a few peeps at my local JoAnn's! Now, even though I want to start this project NOW and my obsessive nature wants me to, life comes first. Helping my family with their Bills etc... lol. There are a lot of things going on right now in my life, but I can acquire things here and there to help make it easier for when I DO get ready to start! I'm estimating either next summer to start in on this project or next Christmas (if I have to go the buying a full mask route).

So with that being said, I look forward to completing this major journey in my life as this'll probably be the last costume I can own (with current living quarters) haha. I'm hoping that I'll be able to make the mask fairly cheaply just to get myself in the door (which will make things a LOT easier on me in the long run). Now I'm not aiming for Chewie as I already have a color scheme in mind and it goes nowhere NEAR what Chewie is, but I always thought it would be interesting. I am an extremely creative person and this gives myself a creative outlet. I got the color scheme from my dog... I know it's weird, but I've always loved the different colors and how genetics play a role into things and patterns!

I'm aiming to be your "Different Wookie". Same natural browns, white's and grey's that are allowed, but I don't know which colors are ones that people stick towards? Anyone know if these are the only colors? The color I'm wanting to go for is like a light brown on the head with a darker brown undertone

The Reddish Brown Mix: #27, #4, #6
The Dark Grey/Brown Mix: #44, #4, #6
Thetruth1777 ()

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from another TBS member! I'm currently working on my TLJ Chewie, my build thread is here:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99756

It'll be nice two multiple Wookiees at events. I'm hoping to be completely done with mine by this December.

Again welcome and Good luck!
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My generic Wookie cost me less than $1000 dollar (CAD) and about $300 of that was the shipping from the US to Canada. That was even with buying the mask, theeth and tongue from Wookie Workshop and an amp off Amazon.

I did make my stlts and toes so that also helped cut down on the cost.

Not too bad a coat being it's this costume. I have about 125 hours into it.
Btabc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thetruth1777 wrote:
Welcome from another TBS member! I'm currently working on my TLJ Chewie, my build thread is here:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99756

It'll be nice two multiple Wookiees at events. I'm hoping to be completely done with mine by this December.

Again welcome and Good luck!

Thank you very much! I'm "lurking" in the shadows and building my knowledge of what to do for my wookiee, so thanks for the update Smile. I'll keep an eye out on your thread!
Starkiller
Btabc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bear wrote:
My generic Wookie cost me less than $1000 dollar (CAD) and about $300 of that was the shipping from the US to Canada. That was even with buying the mask, theeth and tongue from Wookie Workshop and an amp off Amazon.

I did make my stlts and toes so that also helped cut down on the cost.

Not too bad a coat being it's this costume. I have about 125 hours into it.

I was pricing around on different masks and found out who I'll be going with. I will reveal this once I actually make the initial purchase Wink lol

I'm going to be making my stilts and toes as well as I'm not TOO bad with fabricating things (plus I have WAY too much EVA foam laying around lol). So that should also help me as well!
Starkiller
Btabc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so just a SMALL update...

I have another prop for my Jawa that I'm making and it looked like it could have used a bit of hair to it, so I went ahead and made myself a SMALL danger board... hackle. 3 rows of nails with 15 total, sandwiched in-between two extra boards I had laying around (cleaning up at the same time this way... win)! I will post pics soon once I get the ability to (busy with other things, but those will be slowing down soon).

I have been looking around at different masks and I have made a decision on what to get, but I'll reveal that once I make the initial purchase. Till then... working on a way to make stilts and might work a little on the toes (since I have WAY TOO much EVA foam in my garage). I have also decided to go with a bandolier... might be going a Chewie route, but I can always lose the bando if there's another Chewie at an event and go as a gen wookiee Very Happy.

So that's the plan for right now. Only time will tell. Here's to getting things started! Dance Chewie
Starkiller
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are on the right track. Maybe I missed it, but what height are you going for? Something to remember is proportions. You don’t want really big feet and short arms, or really long or short looking legs with the opposite appearance on the torso. Looking forward to your progress. If you have any questions please post them.

Wear the Hair!
Btabc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcamaro wrote:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Maybe I missed it, but what height are you going for? Something to remember is proportions. You don’t want really big feet and short arms, or really long or short looking legs with the opposite appearance on the torso. Looking forward to your progress. If you have any questions please post them.

I might not have said it, but if I didn't, my bad Smile. I'm 5'7" (and sometimes 5'8" on a good day lol). I am planning on making lifts/stilts either 17" or 16". Thankfully proportions aren't too much a problem with me (I'm OCD with my art) and I have seen where a lot of people add a little more fabric to their sleeves (which gives the appearance of longer arms). I'm leaning more towards lifts (making my own) or those high steppers and altering them. Depending on how well I do with this... I might make another wookiee later on. I have a few questions, but I'll save them for when I actually start in on this, so thank you very much! My only question at this time is this... from the leg, how far out do the toes go? I was getting a visual of perhaps 5-6 inches?
Starkiller
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: