Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a581330c56f9e126c32b1ed8efdc7eb7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Gungi Mask Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

Hello all, Josh here (I'm out in Oregon)

this is my first attempt at using photos in posts so I hope it works, we'll see! If all goes well I'll be able to post the bulk of my build process for this Gungi mask which is really almost finished I think. My hope is that I can create a few more of these in the event that others are wanting to build Gungi costumes as well. If worse comes to worse and it doesnt turn out well then I'll at least have a mask for someone in my family or perhaps I could donate it to Magic Wheelchair or something like that.

For a few years now (since being introduced to this group) I've been wanting to learn how to make wookiee masks. My Chewbacca costume, which I've had a great deal of fun in inspired this as I built the bulk of the costume by myself but ended up getting my mask from EvilChimp a few years back. When I recieved his mask in the mail a few years ago I immediately became interested in how the masks are built. Then watching a few of the builders on this forums sculpt and create their wookiee masks intrigued me even further.

So, I finally got around to giving this a try myself and I set a goal to sculpt a Chewie, Tarfful, and a Gungi as they are all charaters that either myself of someone in my family will likely want to make a costume of. To start I wanting to try Gungi simply because I thought if I mess up and end up wasting a bunch of materials I didnt want to have messed up the two characters that I am wanting most (Chewie and Tarfful). Along those lines I felt like I really wanted to have some experience with the process before I dove into Chewie or Tarfful.

Below is a photo of the sculpt I had going a few days before I finally decided it was good enough to make a negative of.

[img]Gungi Mask Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr[/img]
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

then I had some Smooth-On Body double that was old sitting around. I originally bought it to do a lifecast of myself but then we ended up just going and having our whole body's scanned (my daughter, myself, and my brother) for cheaper than what it cost to buy all the lifecasting materials. So, anyway we just had our heads 3D printed and sculpted on top of that. Then repurposed the Smooth-On products to make a mould of the Gungi sculpt.

Photo of the sculpt sprayed with mold release.
[img]Gungi Mask Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

Photo of the negative created with the Body Double Silicone
[/img]Gungi Mask Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr

the other side...there were a few thin spots but I think they'll hold.

then the Fiberglass Shell.....this was literally our first time working with ANY of these materials so I fully expected to mess everything up. I was just proud of myself for having the guts to open the box of Smooth-On materials that I'd have sitting around for over a year.

and another shot of the support shell after a little trimming.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

The next step was to make a plug for the master mould that would later become our underskull. I guess I didnt get photos of it but we lined the master negative with clay (about 1/4' all around inside) being careful to thin it out near openings of the eyes. After that we layed fiberglass over the clay to create of master plug. We then repeated this entire mould making process for the plug itself so that we had a separate mould just for the underskull. This allows us to make a skin and a underskull at the same time.

next we whipped up some Dragon Skin/Ecoflex mixture to make the skin and our first skin pull. This was actually really exciting because it worked. Again I fully expected this to fail and this was the point where I realized I probably shouldnt have made our master negative out of silicone so that I wasnt always pouring silcone skin material into a silicone mould and risking them getting stuck together in case I didnt use enough release materials. Anyway, we'd gone this far so I figure what the heck, lol.

Our very first pull of the Gungi face skin....happy to say the least!

then I painted it black with silicone paint

and we made another underskull and cut out a space for the teeth which I hadnt even thought about at that point.

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

From there it was time to sculpt some teeth and then tak them in just to get an idea of what we were dealing with and if this thing even looked anything at all like Gungi.

After this we cut the jaw loose so that it can move. added hinges, sanded and deburred all the edges and of course I forgot to take pictures of any of that. sorry.

then it was time to start adding hair.[/img]
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

I'm going to apologize ahead of time because I got in the zone bigtime with the hair and didnt start taking pictures until way late in the process. Not much too it really though, just lots of Sil-Poxy (which is expensive btw) and lots of looking at reference photos to make sure the hair is going to fall in the right direction.

after about a day of hair work

after about 2 days of hair work

I ran out of glue so I had to wait on another tube for about 10 days which sucked. During that time we tried the mask on my nephew who's 5 ft tall (maybe 4' 11')

Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

Then it was time to add the hair around the eyes and nose which is actually not easy. I hadnt yet glued the skin to the underskull so that I could pull it off and get the right angles to punch the hair in correctly so that I could get it to fall in the right directions. THis proved to be difficult thought because I had to punch hair then put the mask back on and see how it was looking. I had to repeat that MANY times and it definitely got tiring.

this is when I finally was able to look at what we had and really appreciate it. Aside from a few fine tuning and styling issues I felt like we had created a pretty cool mask.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Gungi Mask Build Reply with quote

And this is where we are at this point. I feel like I need to trim some of the mohawk hair a bit to make it stand out some. It's long so it tends to want to sit flush against the top of the head. This should be an easy fix. Also, it does have a moving jaw but I think we are going to add some springs to the inside of the mouth so that he shuts his mouth all the way when static. Otherwise I feel really good about this mask.

I am really hoping to get feedback from everyone hear (especially judges) about if they think this is enough of a Gungi likeness to be approvable. At this point I don't have anyone who's even planning to wear this but as the prototype I am just wanting to make the needed adjustments in case others are wanting help with this build and interested in this mask. Gungi is such a cool character and I'd just love to see more of them bringing joy to the world.

[img]Gungi Mask Build by Josh Beckett, on Flickr[/img]
Big Bear ()
Outrider Base XO
Outrider Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not judge or anything but I think it is amazing. Great job!
gato ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job. Im amazed at how neat and clean all the edges are on all your molds and how perfect they all came out.
How did you paint on the black part of the face? Did you brush on or use an airbrush? Im still trying to master this part of the process.
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Big Bear"]I am not judge or anything but I think it is amazing. Great job![/quote]

Thank you for the kind words
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gato"]Fantastic job. Im amazed at how neat and clean all the edges are on all your molds and how perfect they all came out.
How did you paint on the black part of the face? Did you brush on or use an airbrush? Im still trying to master this part of the process.[/quote]

I used Psycho Paint and Silc Pig from Smooth-On. Just brushed it on. Overall we're pretty happy. Literally it was my brother I's very first time doing any of this or even using any of these materials. We had a great time and we were just thinking the whole time that even if we mess it up at least we are learning so much about the process and how to use the materials and such. Really fun project.
IpoWook (Nowell H.G.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Awesome!
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="IpoWook"]Looks Awesome![/quote]

thank you, we sold it last week. When she's done with her Gungi I think she'll make a great one and bring tons of smiles and joy. I can't wait to see it all come together. She's 4'8" too so it'll be a nice short Gungi.
Tokana (Tonia Antilla)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!

A great student is what the teacher hopes to be.
~Jedi Proverb
Beckett ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tokana"]I love it![/quote]

Thank you Tonia, you do some really incredible work as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: