Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0c487262f388ab5d067a269a3759c688Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Cloud City Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sara Sundae ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: My Cloud City Build Reply with quote

Hello! I wanted to start a build thread as I am now half way through the embroidery of my Spoonflower fabric for my robe and I have finally settled on some fabrics for the tunic, pants, and robe lining. I would love some feedback and I do have a few questions in here too as well.

I have selected vintage Butterick 5545 for my tunic, to modify. This tunic also has some bust darts and some darts in the back, are darts allowed? I believe I can make this tunic without them if that is the case.
I will be using Butterick B4377 for the tunic sleeves, I have used this pattern many times and the long sleeves have a nice point on them.

For the pants I plan to use McCalls M7576 view D with modification (the ankle bands especially need modified) they also might be too full? That is easy to alter.

Still need to figure that belt out!

I am using the DMC embroidery floss colors: 938, 3857, 3777, 3778, 745, and 746
I am currently working on my third of the 5 design panels.

I ordered the Krenick Copper trim. I have Alisha's excellent yolk pattern from the Bun Squad Facebook group.

I found (after many swatch orders and disappointing trips to Joann's) two good fabrics on FabricsDotCom. For the chiffon I ordered the "two tone cranberry chiffon". Not only was it a great match to the 3777 floss, but it is also slightly wider than the Spoonflower fabric! I selected "ruby rayon crepe" for my tunic and pants. I am including a photo of the swatches next to the 3777 floss and the shoes I got from Kohl's. The tunic/pants fabric might be off a shade (please let me know what you think), I think a little dye to tint it will fix that and I have plenty to experiment with. Everything else I swatched was either too dark, too orange, or too bright lipstick red. This Ruby color was at least the same level of red which makes dying easier.

For anyone offering helpful feedback: thank you in advance!

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks so beautiful! i've always wanted to try my hand at this costume but i feel the embroidery is just way past my skill (and patience Laughing ) levels.. gorgeous!
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they
bekahsoka ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a wonderful start on this!!

For the tunic, the darts should be okay as they wont be seen. If it'll make it easier to size/fit to you it's good as it wont interfere with the accuracy of the costume.

The pants pattern looks good! Might be a bit full, but thats easier to fix than being too small.

The colors look fairly good to me! Things like this are hard to get perfect matches, but you seem to have some great reds!

Can't wait to see more of this build Very Happy

RLGS DCO: 2020-2021
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you're off to a great start! Very Happy

Like bekahsoka said, the darts won't be seen unless you are planning for any center front darts. Wink Back and side bust will be hidden by the cloak, so go ahead and use those darts.

I also love the way the embroidery is turning out! It looks awesome! Mr. Green

And yes, there's a slight difference in color to the tunic/pants fabric, but it might be slight enough that it doesn't matter. But if you have enough swatches, well, then doing some dye experiments won't hurt ... Wink

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Sara Sundae ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the feedback! The rayon crepe came today and I am going to start cutting things.
MissyThing ()
Kashyyyk Base CO
Kashyyyk Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks beautiful!! This is one of my favorite Leia costumes. Can't wait to follow your progress.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looks amazing. Really

antoa ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great start!

Like bekahsoka said, the pants look a bit too full, but great that you found a pattern with the cuffs.

I removed the darts in my tunic pattern. This is the tutorial I used if you want to do the same:

https://www.mariadenmark.com/2014/10/removing-bust-darts/

I am so excited about all the Bespin Leias in progress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: