Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=16a932a713abd62631c592f43b1db6bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pesky7567 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso WIP Reply with quote

Good morning everyone! So over a year ago I started working on a Jyn Erso, Jedha version. Today I finally got my vest in and besides putting everything together, I need to get the pants and the jacket tailored. It's way too long as is. Anyway, I thought I would post pictures of the vest and jacket and see if there are any pointers I can get.

The pants will sit a little higher once tailored. They currently keep sliding down since they fit like ski pants right now and my torso is really long, so things sometimes look a little disproportionate, but it's really just my body type.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting Jyn finished soon!

fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso WIP Reply with quote

Pesky7567 wrote:
Good morning everyone! So over a year ago I started working on a Jyn Erso, Jedha version. Today I finally got my vest in and besides putting everything together, I need to get the pants and the jacket tailored. It's way too long as is. Anyway, I thought I would post pictures of the vest and jacket and see if there are any pointers I can get.

The pants will sit a little higher once tailored. They currently keep sliding down since they fit like ski pants right now and my torso is really long, so things sometimes look a little disproportionate, but it's really just my body type.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting Jyn finished soon!

It looks like you're off to a great start Very Happy
I love your jacket. It does seem a bit long but the sleeve length looks good.

I am moving this thread to the Jyn Erso and Other Rogues subforum which should help get more feedback!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pesky 7867! It looks like you're off to a good start.

I love the coloring of your jacket. I agree with fleurderys that when you take it to the tailor, it should be a bit shorter. I used a version of this picture when figuring out the length for mine: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/rogue-one-felicity-jones-diego-luna-alan-tudyk.jpg - it could be something useful to show the tailor when you're figuring out where everything should go.

The vest looks like it's about the right length and once you have your pants adjusted so they stay up, you probably won't need to tailor the vest. I can't see all the parts of the vest, but what I can see looks correct.
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome over to the Rogue Side...

The front of the vest looks pretty good. To be honest, when getting the entire costume to work together, I would possibly suggest starting with the base bits first and then build on those, using them as reference.

Looks like you've got an awesome start. Jyn is one of the most comfortable costumes I own.

The trousers /pants are high waisted, therefore until those are sorted, it can be tricky to work out the correct portions for the jacket and vest, and ultimately the belt.

I'll nab some pictures in the morning to illustrate what I mean...
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I'm going to go get the pants tailored first after reading through what everyone was saying so that the jacket hits where it needs to. I can't wait to finish Jyn and troop. All I currently have is my Mando and while I love my kit, it gets really uncomfortable fast.

I'm glad the coloring for the jacket works! I was a little worried it would be too green. Amelia, thank you for posting that length for the jacket! It will help immensely when I take it to the tailor.

I have a question. Do I need to get the straps on the bottom of the jacket removed? They are in the bottom part of the jacket and are in the back.

I don't think the vest will need any tailoring once I get the pants done. When I hold up my pants, the vest hits the top of the pants.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the next steps of your build! In answer to your question about the straps, I'd recommend removing them if they would be visible once you have the vest on. If the vest hides them, I wouldn't worry about it.
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and have them removed when I have the jacket tailored just to be on the safe side. Thank you!
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to work on this in awhile, but in the next two weeks this is going to the tailor. I'm thinking my jacket might be a little wide for my vest since it shows a lot under it in the front. Is there a way for the tailor to fix that or no? It's getting shortened for sure and I'm using the pictures that Amelia posted on this thread. The pants are also making the trip to tailor.

Thank you all for your help! I will get this costume finished...my goal is to have it done by March. I wasn't feeling motivated to get this costume done but I'm feeling ready again to rejoin the Star Wars community. I got a little burned out over drama in the area, but now that things have calmed down I'm ready to start trooping again and I need something more comfortable than my Mando. I cannot wait to get this finished!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm just seeing this now; I've been traveling.

As far as the jacket width, could you give a little more explanation as to what you mean? She wears her jacket open normally, but it's a functional jacket that can be closed. Here's a good picture - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/c5/e5/20/c5e52027e0ad606d5813e6d26679cfcd.jpg - the jacket's not closed, but it can fall across the body. For mine, I did it so it doesn't have a zip, but if I added a zip, it would be able to zip up.

I suspect the concern is just from how Jyn's vest has a tendency to hang. If you tug the front of your vest in a bit, it will make the jacket look less JACKET and more jacket-under-vest..
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! When I get back home, which will be on the 26th, I'll try it on again and see if I can tug the vest in a little more in the front. I was thinking my jacket may need to be taken in a bit on the sides, but I haven't tried it on in a couple of months and I may be misremembering how it fit.

Thank you for the second picture! It helps a lot seeing it from a different angle.
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to retailor my costume a couple times. If you put on the coat and it feels too big at the sides, taking it in is an easy thing for a tailor to do. Smile
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! I'll have it taken in then Smile I'm taking the jacket and pants to the tailor tomorrow along with the vest so they know where to take the jacket up to. In the meantime I have taken pictures of all the items I have!

The boots need weathering badly and I don't know if they need extra stitching or not on the flaps. The belt/holster also needs weathering, but I don't think that'll be hard. I think the boot flaps need more of a leather shine to them and I was going to use the conditioner I use on my riding boots to begin with. Is there a seal/finish that needs to go on instead prior to weathering?

Please let me know what I need to tweak or change!

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - taking a look at what you've got here.

Based on what I can see of the pieces, I'd agree that more weathering before submission is a good idea. The scarf and the gloves look pretty weathered, but the rest looks pretty clean. I suspect for the soft pieces, you're waiting until after the tailor works with them to weather (which is what I would recommend - wait til that's done). You'd mentioned adding a leather shine for the boots - mine aren't shiny and Jyn's boots are old and weathered, so that's not something I'd worry about. You might want to go the opposite direction and scuff them up a bit, actually.

You asked about stitching on the flaps. The CRL says:

Quote:
Both flaps have top-stitching around the edges.

Which is not the most helpful description. Are you in the Stardust Sisters Facebook Group? There's a pattern there with the screen accurate identification of where the stitching lines go and it might be helpful. If you can't get access to that, let me know and I'll see if I can download a copy and temporarily host it on our google drive.

It's early where I am, so I might have missed something. Let me know if I did not answer all the questions and I'll be happy to help with anything I accidentally left out. Smile I'm looking forward to seeing this after you get it tailored!
fleurderys ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking really great!!!

I would suggest darkening the gloves a bit more. Jyn's are nearly the color of her belt.

Re: boot flaps -- I have used Angelus acrylic finish on boots before to get that factory "shine", but hers are so weathered most of it might get covered up anyway. Smile
Pesky7567 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

I'm waiting to weather the clothing until after the tailor so it's easier for them to see what needs to be done. Plus I didn't want them to think I was bringing them dirty clothes lol. After the tailor I'll weather everything Smile I do need advice on what to use to weather the clothing. I read that charcoal dust works well, but I've never used it before.

I am in the stardust sisters group!! I'll find the files and have my boyfriend stitch around the outside. He's the one that made the flaps and the belt so he can easily put the extra stitching in.

What would be the best way to darken the gloves?

I'll put the shine on the boots flaps and the belt before weathering them so they have a slight sheen, but mostly weathered. In person it looks a little dry and I want it to be as close as possible.

I'm so glad I'm on the right track!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: