Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=28b6ab0b7da445f2b44400f662b9d97eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pesky7567 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants and shirt are at the tailor. I have run into a couple of problems. To make the jacket the correct length, the zipper would have to be on top of the bottom band of the jacket, which isn't correct according to CRLs.

I have also gained muscle and I have a sinking feeling that my vest is too short. When we pinned the pants and I tried the vest on with it, the bottom of the vest just brushed the top of the pants. I'm assuming that won't fly and I need to have a new vest made?
Pamelibrarian ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pesky!

Can you explain more about how the zipper would need to be on the top of the jacket? Can it be removed entirely? We never see Jyn with the jacket actually closed, and while it theoretically could be, it would be very snug.

How far apart are the vest and pants? Did you try the vest on over the jacket?

You also asked about weathering: I used acrylic paint and oil pastels on mine. I also used acrylic paint to weather my blaster.
Pixeldust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Kessel Base XO
Kessel Base XO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this done! Looks great so far!! <3
501st Legion Captain of the Guard
Mother of Jawas

Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would be the best way to darken the gloves?

Mine are the same as yours, I believe (Endor Finders?). What I did was I rubbed them down with nail polish remover and then I painted over them with leather dye (I used "buffalo").

Quote:
I have also gained muscle and I have a sinking feeling that my vest is too short. When we pinned the pants and I tried the vest on with it, the bottom of the vest just brushed the top of the pants. I'm assuming that won't fly and I need to have a new vest made?

Before you get a new vest made, try two things:

- tug on the vest in the front. Jyn vests have a bad habit of sliding back on the shoulders. This will at least let you know if you have a sliding vest or if you have a problem that may require needle and thread.

- if the latter, another option would be to ask your tailor to remove the existing waistband and add one that is slightly higher. This would allow the vest to fall within the waistline of the pants.

When I gain upper body muscle, it tends to collect in the shoulders. If you have this same issue, then it might make sense for you to build another vest just so you feel like you can move. If your goal is not to make another vest, the stuff above is stuff you can try.

Quote:
To make the jacket the correct length, the zipper would have to be on top of the bottom band of the jacket, which isn't correct according to CRLs

I agree with Pamelibrarian that the easiest solution may just be to remove the zipper all together. You can get jackets approved without zippers (mine does not have a zipper).
natblack (Natalie Black)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pesky!
Looking good so far! Love the weathering I could see on the scarf (that's my next project).

I was also going to recommend adjusting the waistband on your pants if possible, but Em beat me to it =)

As far as the stitching on the boot flaps go, I have photo I took during my build that you might find helpful. Here's a link to the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmoTxi1y
Or you can find my build thread here. And the less shiny your boots, the better.

For weathering the rest of your soft parts, I put black and dark brown acrylic paint into two little squirt bottles with water and would mist the clothing in wear areas and spots to match my reference photos. I was really happy with the way it came out. I did it over the course of a few days by adding a little, letting it dry and adding more until I though it looked pretty good from a distance and would show up in photos. I also dry brushed very lightly some off white/cream paint for dusty areas.
A lot of Jyns also use something called Otter Fabric wax, which I did as well.
You can see some of the weathering at the end of this album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmpgbsuV

Good luck!
Instagram: @natblack1971 and @crosswindscosplay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: