Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4c4f7b8f962219ffe4891abe0165f1cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Queen Amidala Red Invasion Gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent progress. Very Happy

Make sure your hoops under the skirt can't be seen; you might need a stiff petticoat layer between the skirt and the hoops and/or to alter your crinoline.

Look forward to seeing this done!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
abrookebrown24 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Excellent progress. Very Happy

Make sure your hoops under the skirt can't be seen; you might need a stiff petticoat layer between the skirt and the hoops and/or to alter your crinoline.

Look forward to seeing this done!

Thanks! Question, are you talking about seeing the white poking out at the bottom, or are you talking about seeing the ridges from the hoops along the skirt? Thanks!
abrookebrown24 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Collar details Reply with quote

I'm finally nearing completion on the collars for this dress. The material is from the satin (not the bengaline). The top collar I sandwiched a foam batting between two layers, then hand-stitched 1mm silk cord in the vermicelli pattern. This took a lot longer than I was expecting, but I'm pretty satisfied with the results. The small collar at the top I actually put a bit of foam between the layers to get it a bit more stiff. Still need to tweak it to get it to sit correctly.

I used a hidden zipper in the back, and added a second collar with the hood attached. Once I got that all put together, I finally started adding fur and the gold embroidery tabard. I did a test run with the whole dress, and I'm realizing I need to make some changes to my hoop skirt. The dress tends to get twisted, and I think I need a few more hoops to hold the shape. I was just excited to finally put all the pieces together! Wink

https://imgur.com/a/aw1OxqR
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking gorgeous!

How many hoops will you have total, do you think?

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant so the rings can't be seen through the skirt. Smile

Your progress on this looks very nice! Getting there.

abrookebrown24 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Headpiece progress Reply with quote

I have ADD with this costume because if I get frustrated on one aspect I'll switch to another.

Anyway, I finally tackled the hair roll. It was pretty much finished, but every time I touched it I'd get pieces of hair flying away. So... because I'm used to finishing 3D prints, I grabbed some fiberglass acrylic, and applied a very thin layer over the hair roll. Probably a little unconventional, and I had to be very careful not to pull the hair out, but it worked like a charm! (I wouldn't necessarily recommend this because there is no turning back after this point. Haha.)
I'd previously placed Velcro at the top of the hair roll, and the headpiece. I then added some ultra strong magnets behind the two egg/ear parts on the headpiece, and because of the design of my headpiece, that seems to be plenty to hold it in place.

For the top bead decoration I stacked it on a cotter pin (just something I found at Home Depot), using Swarowski crystals in red and gold, two different sizes of pearls, and the Cinnabar bead from a seller on Etsy. I purchased it from YumiSadamoto, and it was perfect. The rest I carved from clay, and covered with gold foil.

Once I finished this up I did a makeup test, and realized with the hair it was quite heavy. I put a cute little bow around the bottom just to hold it in place. I'll be experimenting with ways to secure it to my head, especially for wear around an event. I'll likely use a chin strap of some kind which should be hidden when I put on all the collars.

https://imgur.com/a/uQitnAq
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your headdress looks very nice, even if it's heavy. Smile You just need to make sure your natural hair is covered by it now so it doesn't stick out in front.

Hope to see updated pictures again soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: