Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d6763810a5afa47440f3f8691a37a47Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA - the shoe/boot debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: TFA - the shoe/boot debate Reply with quote

So, there have been some discussion about what boots to get for TFA Luke and how to go about recreating the look, so I want your input.

I know you can find plenty of sneakers with the right type of sole (Vans, Timberland, Lacoste etc.), but those will need boot covers attached. Finding actual boots/bootlets with the thick rubber sole is a lot harder. (I did find one of the right model in Kyoto, but the colors were completely wrong).

So what have you found that could be used, and what modifications were needed?
Post pictures and links, please. It will help everyone, who wishes to make this costume. Smile

Discuss all options. Ben

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I originally bought a women's Ugg boot that had a decent looking sole and wasn't TOO far out on the styling of the upper. A little small for me, and I thought I could do better. I then found a men's Chelsea boot in a good color/style (doesn't have the vertical striping on the elastic, but I figure that can be redone) - but I discovered too late that the sole is a dark-brown flat sole rather than a textured whitish rubber. I have no idea if I can take the sole from the Uggs and put it on the chelsea boots.

Following this thread for more ideas.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know if you try and how it goes. I know there's also been the idea of making a fake rubber sole around another sole, but I have no idea if it's been tried or how it's turned out.

The ideal:

Let's see how close we can get. Smile

Garet Jax ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for starting this thread. The boots are the one thing vexing me since starting to put together my Old Luke costume.

For now, I've settled on these with similar color puttees:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RC7NC5O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it bothers me that the soles aren't quite right. I'd love to know what other options are out there.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going through a company on facebook for mine. They're still putting the finishing touches on the boots themselves (I plan to make my own puttees). It's a low-top boot with the proper sole (they are cutting their own soles in the proper color). I'm not sure if I can post the name of the company, but let me know and I will.

The only other thing I can suggest is to check with a cobbler to get a pair of suede boots custom made.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those first boots you posted a picture of are the pair that I commissioned JDOS to make for me for my Luke ANH Costume and they are top notch!

If there is a suitable suede chelsea boot that can have the suede strips sewn to the elastic then that would work. One of the most distinguishing things that will make the TFA boots easier to source will be the fact that the puttees are cloth vs. the matching suede puttees for the ANH Costume.

As far as gluing a rubber strip to the sides of the sole of a similar boot, I don't think that it will be all that durable. Years before I got my JDOS boots, I owned a pair of the Motor Cowboy ANH boots and they glued a suede strip that matched the color of the main boot to the side of the soles and it wasn't the most durable thing. Not to mention that it should have been rubber. I hated those boots. lol Overpriced, oversized, wrong color, wrong pattern and took far too long to receive.

Here are a few alternatives that could be modded for a TFA or ANH boot:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=32251126&color=022&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-PLA-_-209904290464_product_type_m_product_type_shoes_product_type_boots_brand&adpos=1o2&creative=100432021144&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CLXQ86O1g9ECFYO3wAodnAQCdg

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=40053522&color=016&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Google-_-PLA-_-209904290464_product_type_m_product_type_shoes_product_type_boots_brand&adpos=1o5&creative=100432021144&device=c&matchtype=&network=s&gclid=CKDK4L21g9ECFRW1wAodmlMCQg

These are crazy expensive but they are an option:

http://www.barneys.com/product/common-projects-suede-chelsea-boots-503946234.html
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Jason. Smile

The sole is the tricky part, but also distinctive, which is why I suggested finding a good sole and then make boot covers to match.
But maybe a perfect boot can be found and make us all happy. Wink

erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These were the ones I got most recently: http://www.zappos.com/p/robert-wayne-garran-sand/product/8785412/color/621

The Uggs were these ones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JH4FHZI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither one was terribly expensive, in the neighborhood of $100 for each pair.

If I could just take the soles from the Uggs and put them on the chelsea boots!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erictank wrote:

If I could just take the soles from the Uggs and put them on the chelsea boots!

Wouldn't that be lovely. I've had that thought about too many shoes already and I'm not even making this costume. Laughing

erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note for those wanting to work with the Uggs - remember that these are WOMEN'S boots. Size differential from men's sizing is 1.5-2 sizes, so figure 2 to be conservative. I wear a 10.5-11, and was only able to get a 12, so they're tight on me. If I do use them, I will have to trim out some of that fur lining somehow and get a little more space. And the raised seams, too. But then I can put a false ribbed panel on the sides... That might actually work.
Garet Jax ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reluctant to go the Uggs route because of that lining. That would definitely be too warm to wear the majority of the time in Georgia. And, well, they're Uggs. Razz

Jason - would you mind PMing me the name of the boot manufacturer you're using? The pics you posted look great. And my inquiries of local cordwainers has proven fruitless.
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garet Jax wrote:
I've been reluctant to go the Uggs route because of that lining. That would definitely be too warm to wear the majority of the time in Georgia. And, well, they're Uggs. Razz

Normally I'd agree with you. But he's actually got a pretty rounded front to his boots, they don't really look pointy at all to me. The sole is thick and flat, and light-colored, with just a hint of texture on the sides and maybe some on the bottom.

I might be able to trim out a bunch of the lining with an electric trimmer, maybe. Then I can look into dealing with those seams and the side panels. JDOS quoted me something like 9+ months to get a pair from him, after a 2-month response time, last year. I've got something to play with in the meantime.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, if there was an easy way to turn black short boots into cream/tan boots, then I've seen two models that could be used so far. I'll see if I can't get a brand on the last pair I saw in passing and check out if it might exist in other colors.

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too need some good boots. I found some tan suede shoes that got me by for a con, but I need to go back to this costume and get it approved for Celebration.

I think those Urban Outfitters Chelseas, with the panels on the sides and resoled, might have to do. I think I saw close soles at the local leather shop. My only other thought is learn how to make boots!! Enough on my plate as-is, though.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Luethar (Paul Trupia)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updated info for Luke's TFA boots?

Lue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: