Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2e78968bd6334cc216d59c6120acf663Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Construction of the Corporal Casrich helmet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenDutton ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Construction of the Corporal Casrich helmet Reply with quote

I recently had my Scarif marine costume cleared with two different versions of headgear, one of which was the Corporal Casrich type helmet. I've been told be a few people that this is the first one of its type in the legion and have been asked to create a thread here about it. This will use the construction photos used on the original thread over on the Elstree Base forum.

Anyway, here goes:
After I'd gathered reference images (screen grab from R1, image from R1 visual guide and Solo visual guide and a Lego dude) and sketched out the shape I began with a card prototype.

Note that I'm wearing an ANH-15 flying helmet underneath the Casrich helmet. The Lego figure appeared to have something similar as part of the helmet.

I still have enough of the pieces of this that I have been able to create a pdf of templates that I hope to use as the basis for an instruction document that I will make available (if it ever gets finished!).
StephenDutton ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was happy with the card prototype I reproduced it in 2mm thick plasticard (sheet styrene) for the supporting frame and lower section and 0.5mm thick for the curved upper section. I was able to bend this without the need for heating.
The helmet consists of more than one layer and what I had at this point was the inner layer only. The outer layer around the lower section need to stand off from the inner layer enough that I could fit the padded top between them so I cut 2mm wide strips of the 2mm thick plasticard and stuck them all around the base as well as sticking up at the ends of the flat plates and at intervals around the curved section. These came to about 25mm below the join between top and bottom sections. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of these.
I do have photos of when I then used ordinary cardboard again to prototype the outer part of the lower section.

You can see the rough nature of the upper section here. Extra plasticard was added to cover gaps and improve the shape. One of the spacing strips is just about visible between the inner and outer layers of the lower section in the second photograph
StephenDutton ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next I replaced the cardboard outer pieces with more plasticard.

This inside image shows the strips of plasticard used as spaces and the internal frame.

It was at this point that I painted the helmet and used grate polish to make it look dirty.

StephenDutton ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I built the top padded section from some thin cardboard covered in vinyl fabric. The sides used large pieces cut to shape and five strips of variable widths were used for the top. These all extend down into the gap between the inner and outer layers.

I have now finished the instruction document for this helmet, including templates taken from the card prototype pieces. Because there was very little exact measurement involved in this project it is a guide rather than an exact how to, but all the stages are included.
I'll be uploading the instructions to my website soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: