Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75c1be45aaff8fea2f9a9401ad611c0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Luke RotJ Death Star Duel WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corelliandrygoods ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Luke RotJ Death Star Duel WIP Reply with quote

Hey all,

Hoping to wrap up my third costume of the year!

I have always loved the look of Luke in RotJ, and particularly the look at the end during the duel.

Awhile back, I had started this costume, but have ended up redoing everything (as I normally do hah!)

I am still going to upgrade my glove, and I need to source a wig for this one, but so far I am pretty satisfied.

My body proportions are a LOT different than Marks, especially at the time of filming, so some things still need to be tweaked a bit: going to take in the trousers a bit more in the thighs and maybe the sleeves too. Normally I am a bit more muscular than right now as I am trying to nurse a few injuries back to health, so maybe keeping things loose will be the motivation.

Little breakdown on the parts:

The tunic is a black twill exterior with a white linen interior for the bib. This one was done without a snap so I could wear it open, but I will hopefully be making the black linen wraps for the Rancor scene which I will use to keep the bib closed.

The sleeves have a cuff with a pleat in the closure.

I used shirt stays in these photos to keep the shirt down into the trousers.

This tunic has the shoulder seam moved forward as well.

The tunic also has the back center seam down the middle

The belt is 8oz veg tanned leather dyed black with acrylic on top. The pouch is 4 oz veg tanned leather that is hand stitched on the sides and closed on the bottom with chicago screws.

I had the buckles laser cut and they are painted with satin black spray paint that I will let naturally weather.

The trousers are a stretch twill and have the rear riding seam, tux stripes, and a high waist.

The saber is a 3D printed belt hanger

Thanks for looking!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Smile
And I agree; it would be good to take in the pants so they are more fitted to you.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the trousers.

But: the belt buckle is supposed to be silver? I know you're going to let it weather, but...that's a lot of weathering to get to silver?
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
corelliandrygoods ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
Agreed on the trousers.

But: the belt buckle is supposed to be silver? I know you're going to let it weather, but...that's a lot of weathering to get to silver?

I believe the buckle was black (either painted or Aluminum Blacked) It is hard to tell though as the set would effect this.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/attachments/aa95e19c-e875-46a6-a272-a62ff74a671e-jpeg.1045108/
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corelliandrygoods wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:
Agreed on the trousers.

I believe the buckle was black (either painted or Aluminum Blacked) It is hard to tell though as the set would effect this.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/attachments/aa95e19c-e875-46a6-a272-a62ff74a671e-jpeg.1045108/

I take your point and see this in other photos, too. I was just going by the standard here on the site. And it does look silver in other shots. Open to interpretation. The standard reads "silver weathered", is all. I'm no judge, and not sure how picky they'd be on that?
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding the belt was brown and then dyed black over that. When weathered it revealed the brown underneath. I got a good look at this costume up close in NYC at The Power of Costume exhibit. My personal favorite from the entire series and corelliandrygoods my friend you have certainly done it justice!

As for the belt, I suspect the screen used one was (like many of the props in the original films) a repurposed Luke ESB belt with the extra pouches and holster removed. It was dyed black and the buckle weathered with either black paint or aluminum black to have it better blend in with the rest of the costume.

I love how you captured the shoulder yoke on your shirt and the riding seam on the pants which is such a hard element to capture just right but I think you really nailed both. You should be very proud of this costume. You've done a fantastic job!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the best view of the buckle. it's more silver than black.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: