Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ea5f12023dcc6ad6ae917cb6c99e77e5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[WIP] - Suralinda Javos (Poe Dameron Comic Issues 18/19)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFthegirl ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: [WIP] - Suralinda Javos (Poe Dameron Comic Issues 18/19) Reply with quote

Since there's no existing standard for Suralinda Javos I'm going to take the strong recommendation to make a WIP thread. I think she fits best in here, but I'm open to this thread being moved wherever it needs to go. I sent an email to our lovely LMO team and after receiving a reply this seems like a good place to begin my journey. Smile This project definitely extends out of my current skill set (especially bringing her distinctive alien features to life) but I love learning new things.

Here's a reference image if you're not familiar:

(I hope that embedded the image correctly. Forum usage is a learning curve for me.)

These are my current notes as I begin amassing project materials. If you're familiar with the comic and character I'd love any feedback or opinions you may have! I'm working out translating the inconsistencies and fabric choices. I anticipate a lot of trial and error. I will be adding more reference pictures as I work on individual pieces.

Suralinda Javos
Poe Dameron Comic Issue #18 and #19

Character/costume Notes:
1. Skin: *Skin is aqua in color. There are distinctive patterns of black lines on the face. Lips are bluish purple.
2. Cranial ridge: A slim knobby cranial ridge centered on the forehead and bisecting the hairline extends from approximately between the eyebrows to the ponytail at the back of the head.
3. Pointed ears
4. Nails: Nails are pointed and match skin tone.
5. Hair: Two sections of long dark hair** wrapped in brown fabric pulled in front of ears frame the face. Both sections are twisted together at the bottom and secured. The remaining hair is secured in a ponytail at the back of the head.
6. Bodysuit: Long sleeved bodysuit is black with a collar. It is formfitting in the torso and sleeves. The pant legs are formfitting through the thighs but slightly loose on the calves to blouse into the boots. The fabric appears to have somewhat of a shine. There appears to be an invisible zipper (or a seam but a zipper makes sense) at the front of the bodysuit extending into the collar. There appears to be a seam in the center of the back.
7. Gauntlets: Flared black gauntlets cover the forearm extending to the back of the hand. Gauntlets appear to be made of leather-like material as they retain the flared shape. They are secured to the back of the hand with a black cord across the palm bisected by a cord in between the middle and ring finger. There is a matching piping along the edge of the gauntlet on the back of the hand.
8. Boots: Boots appear to be black leather-like material. They have a flat sole and extend to mid calf height. They are plain without any straps, but resemble the overall shape and sole of the Well 2 Po-Zu boot.
9. Body Armor: ***Shoulder bells, elbow pads, knee pads and a chest harness in a light gold color. Chest harness pieces end at the shoulder and do not extend to the back. They run across the body from the underarm and end slightly before the apparent zipper on the bodysuit.
10.****Belt/pouch: Belt is positioned on top of the hips. The belt has a rectangular buckle centered on the body.

Optional accessory: EL-16 blaster rifle

*In these issues, her skin tone is much more aqua. In other issues she appears, her skin tone leans more toward a medium blue with an aqua undertone.
**Hair color is inconsistent across issues. In this issue it appears dark brown/brown black, taking into consideration the coloring against other items in the panels. My hair is dark brown, very thick, and an appropriate length for her hairstyle. I intend to use my natural hair if possible.
***The belt and pouch are very inconsistent throughout the panels. In issue 18, the pouch hangs on the right thigh. It appears to be made of the same material as the belt and secured to the leg with a thigh strap. The pouch is wider at the top than the bottom and hangs from 2 straps that attach to the belt. (The second strap at the back of the hip is visible in some of the side views. It doesn’t appear viewed from the back.) In issue 19, there are two pouches/pockets attached to each side of the pants of the bodysuit in the bodysuit fabric. The belt color is inconsistent, though in the majority of the panels it trends toward a brownish tone. The buckle appears to match the armor, though on some panels it appears silver.
****The exact shapes of the armor are inconsistent across panels.
MFthegirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quick makeup test to see what color might work best. I know it's not completely even. I'm not super familiar with bodypaint outside of research so I've been checking out YouTube tutorials on application.

This is Mehron Paradise as I have somewhat sensitive skin. It doesn't seem to bother me, unlike the lipstick I tested that gave me a rash on my arm. Rolling Eyes
I also ordered their Skin Prep Pro to help with sweat as I currently reside in Texas. I also have their barrier spray to seal. Lots of stuff to learn about and test!

The top is Mehron Paradise Teal. The bottom is Merhon Paradise Brilliant Azur with a Teal layer on top.

A quick check against the page shows teal as being a good choice!

This is what I mean in my first post about the skin tone changing between issues. This is from the first issue she appears. Her skin tone seems to fall in between the two test colors. I know it's probably the artists taking in account for lighting and environment, not a random inconsistency.
MFthegirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauntlet version 1! I'm pretty happy with them, but the inside seam is bugging me a bit. I haven't finished putting the cording on because I'm still debating if I want to remake them entirely.

It seemed to make the most sense to put the seam on the bottom. When the gauntlets flare to a point, it usually seems to be in a singular direction. It also seems to flare more vertically than horizontally most of the time.

I could have pulled them down a bit in these pictures but in some of the references images they do cover the knuckles.

Edit: After posting and walking away for a bit (a clear head always helps!) I’ve got version 2 cut and ready for assembly. I made the back of the hand part smaller (just a little), flared it out at the forearm a bit more, and I can see the construction error that lead to the inner seam showing too much.
MFthegirl ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I've done since my last post:

- New gauntlets almost completed, will add pictures once that's done. It was definitely worth the extra time to remake them.
- Started on the jumpsuit. My pieces are cut and I've begun to sew. I'm using a 4 way stretch matte pleather from Mood and it's gorgeous to look at but has been a learning curve to sew since it's very thin and slippery. It's got a sheen to it that embodies this comic look very well I think. It drapes exceptionally well so the pant legs blousing into the boots should work well. Pictures to come soon when I finish sewing!
- Boots! The only modification the boots needed was a removal of straps on the side and that was fairly easy with a bit of patience. Here are the boots compared to a few panels:

Hoping to forge ahead this weekend and get more research done on how to approach the alien aspect of the build. Going slow and researching because I know the detail execution of her features will make or break how everything else looks. Smile
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting character. I really need to get caught up on that comic series.

Good luck on the costume!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: