Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=625cffce8649301f340e1cfd1cfde957Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help with costume website references in Australia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RebelGab29 (Gabrielle Neill)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Help with costume website references in Australia Reply with quote

Hi again

I need some help and tips. I was just discussing with my mother (who is going to help me out) about where on the web in Australia we can look for legion approved costuming. My mum has little knowledge of the Star Wars universe, while I have some knowledge.

I am wanting to become an Rebel X-Wing pilot (from the original trilogy and Rogue One). We (my mum and I) both looked at the costume kits on Imperial Boots's websites, but because of a tight budget I have and the different currencies (US dollars to AUS dollars), we were looking into something that is suitable to my budget. Plus, we cannot find an Rebel pilot helmet available in Australia.

Please help
maximus (Teddy)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gabby,

Unfortunately there aren't really any vendors for full costumes in Australia. The cheapest option by far would be to make the flightsuit yourself if at all possible.

If making it yourself isn't an option, Wampawear is located in the US but runs a little cheaper than Imperial Boots. If you buy more than one item though be sure to contact them for shipping as their shipping calculator isn't always correct. Wampawear sells everything for an X-Wing pilot except the boots, chest box, and helmet I believe.

For the helmet the best option is probably to take a look on Etsy. The chest box can be commisioned from a guy in Melbourne but I don't have his contact details. The boots you will probably have to hunt down depending on price and availability but they're generally known as 'jack boots.'
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabby, if you can give us an idea of how much you can afford we can have a think and put forward some costume suggestions that we think you would be able to get for around that amount.

This is probably the better way forward.
Archivist32 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really feel for you. Unfortunately the Aus Dollar has deflated against the US Dollar. You mentioned the word "Budget" in your post. My suggestion is you start off with a generic costume based on cloth, with the base pattern and materials available here in Australia.
This would get you approved fastest and you could get to work on a second costume. It's always good to have a second costume in case your favourite gets damaged.

May I kindly suggest a generic Jedi? Simplicity already has an adaptable pattern on the market and I am sure the Jedi forum will have modification suggestions already.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/costumes/simplicity-pattern-5840-adults--teens-costumes/

Also, big discount fabric shops readily have a supply of linen in stock. I can recommend Remanent Warehouse in Sydney for linen: https://theremnantwarehouse.com/white-linen-153156.html They have a fantastic quick turn around service if you are in a hurry! Also on Gumtree there's plenty of pre-loved lightsabres if you search for one. Make sure it can fit dismantled in a suitcase if you are going to travel.

The only difficult bits I can see is getting yourself a movie accurate jedi belt and buying some knee length boots that you can modify.

I think a generic Jedi is a great first costume and you'll be trooping in no time. However, you are welcome to wrangle at events. It's a great start to trooping and you help other troopers with their OHS.

If you need to know about fabric suppliers I am happy to share the ones I know. Sometimes it's worth a trip to Sydney's Surry Hills just to get your supplies.

Best wishes.

Archivist32.

Cosplay takes you from the ordinary to the extrodinary.

2019 - 8 Troops
Archivist32 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had any thoughts about the direction you want to go Gabby? We're here to help and want you to succeed with your first build. The first build is always the hardest but the most rewarding.

Cosplay takes you from the ordinary to the extrodinary.

2019 - 8 Troops
RebelGab29 (Gabrielle Neill)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to figure that out
omiv0re ()

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am new and kind of in a similar situation, just starting out and as a stay at home dad - money is a little tight but not overly so.

Thanks for the heads up Archivist32 about the simplicity pattern; the issue I run into is that at the moment i'm a bit of a plus size Jedi - i'll have a look in the Jedi forums to see if there are any hints on patten adaptaptions.

Also, i'd be interested in your suggestions for fabric stores, i actually live in the inner west of sydney so can easily get to surry hills stores - there's also a lincraft in the city and a spotlight nearby too.

Any other hints you have would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon.

Archivist32 wrote:
I really feel for you. Unfortunately the Aus Dollar has deflated against the US Dollar. You mentioned the word "Budget" in your post. My suggestion is you start off with a generic costume based on cloth, with the base pattern and materials available here in Australia.
This would get you approved fastest and you could get to work on a second costume. It's always good to have a second costume in case your favourite gets damaged.

May I kindly suggest a generic Jedi? Simplicity already has an adaptable pattern on the market and I am sure the Jedi forum will have modification suggestions already.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/costumes/simplicity-pattern-5840-adults--teens-costumes/

Also, big discount fabric shops readily have a supply of linen in stock. I can recommend Remanent Warehouse in Sydney for linen: https://theremnantwarehouse.com/white-linen-153156.html They have a fantastic quick turn around service if you are in a hurry! Also on Gumtree there's plenty of pre-loved lightsabres if you search for one. Make sure it can fit dismantled in a suitcase if you are going to travel.

The only difficult bits I can see is getting yourself a movie accurate jedi belt and buying some knee length boots that you can modify.

I think a generic Jedi is a great first costume and you'll be trooping in no time. However, you are welcome to wrangle at events. It's a great start to trooping and you help other troopers with their OHS.

If you need to know about fabric suppliers I am happy to share the ones I know. Sometimes it's worth a trip to Sydney's Surry Hills just to get your supplies.

Best wishes.

Archivist32.

Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Glad you found us.

There should be some good info in the Jedi detachment section, especially about adapting patterns.

The area most people slip up with on generic jedi is the length of their tunics and tabbards, plus the width of the obi's.

The CRL does explain each part IN DETAIL. Let it be your bible.

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-standards-generic/

I suggest starting a build thread either in our Base section of within the detachment and document your project as you go. You can then ask specific questions and people will provide you with as much help as they can.

Boots, belts and sabers are the most expensive part of any Jedi costume. Do your research and check in with us before purchasing anything expensive if you aren't sure.

When it comes to fabric stores in Sydney, no idea sorry. I'm based in Canberra. But you can't swing a cat without hitting one in Sydney. Have a think about what you want your Jedi to look like in the end. Colour and texture is very important in making a Jedi look and fell right. Do you have any characters that you like the look of in particular?

We always recommend natural fabrics like linen and cotton blends for tunics/tabbards/obi's. They look more accurate and are lighter to wear with all the layers required.

Best of luck and please keep in touch.

Cheers, Sair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: