Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7df5eac18edc4843b25bada0e9226acfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

1st build! Endor Leia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre-9 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: 1st build! Endor Leia Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Nicholle and I am working on my first build for (hopefully) future approval. I met a few Rebel Legion and 501st members at the Calgary Expo, and seeing their costumes really inspired me! I have posted most of this one the local page, but figured this was the place to go for guidance on the costume I am interested in submitting.

For this years Expo (like our cities version of Comic Con)I worked on my first costume attempt: Endor Commando Leia. I thought it was a good start, but needs obvious work to bring it up to standard. I am planning on doing most of the work myself, since I would like to build the skills to continue on to more costumes! I have no real deadline, but would love to become a member by Celebration 2020, which will be my first time attending!

I am starting pretty much from scratch with the Briefing Room Leia since I need the shirt anyway. I would like to eventually add the poncho back in and helmet. I think the poncho I made is reusable, it just needs a touch up and to be worn in a bit more. The cut seems right but the fabric paint washed out somewhat and I couldn't find the forest green colour before the Expo, so that is something I will need to add. I think I have the hair down, so at least that is one thing!

I also need to make the leather pouches and holster (I did a last minute job with duck canvas, and it is not quite right). The pants I used have pockets, so I am not sure they are up to standard. Likewise the boots have a strap on the outside, which I can ask a cobbler to remove but I want to make sure they are approvable before altering a nice pair of leather boots. I found a 3D print pattern for the compad and rank insignia, so I am going to try a local library maker space to get it printed.

I have tried adding pictures, but for some reason the tags won't work. It says HTML is off under options and I don't see a way to turn it back on.

I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed :-)

Nicholle

Last edited by Spectre-9 () on Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Spectre-9 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Pictures! Reply with quote

Since I couldn't figure out the Img tags i(t just ended up with a string of open/close tags and the url) here is a link to my build gallery on Imgur. https://imgur.com/a/177ihl0

I followed the instructions that I could find for the poncho on the Rebel Legion forums and the shape turned out quite well. If the cut or anything doesn't look right I can make another, but I thought it would be nice if something was reusable :-)

I had some difficulty finding exactly the right colors. I used Design Master spray paint, but unfortunately a few of the colors listed by other members were not available in Canada (or at least Calgary) so I was missing the forest green and the brown wasn't bang on.

I used Design Master Basil, Holiday Green, Sprout (ended up close to Basil, but more yellow) and Walnut Wood Tone. I picked up Tulip Spray Green from Michaels, so I will try that for the forest green but it is a tiny can and will probably not go far.

I read that some others have used RIT dye in a spray bottle, so I will research that a bit more and maybe try it on some scraps.

The picture of the back is to show the hood, this was before I added the brown paint so it isn't complete. I made the hood to fit over a bike helmet, so it should be big enough.

The hair is kanekalon. I think the color is a great match, I just need to hide the hair pin and smooth the back (my hair is NOT that long). I used my garment steamer to straighten the synthetic hair so it matched the texture of my hair better.

These are the pieces I have had printed at a makerspace:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2373722
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2914449

They're finished, I just need to go pick them up.

Any feedback is appreciated!
bekahsoka ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spectr-9! This thread looks really great! For adding pictures (I also use Imgur for photos) when you click on the image you'd like to add there should be a section on the right side with a bunch of links. You can click copy for the BBCode link, that works best for sharing here. Hope it works in the future!

To answer your questions, the pants wont work with the pockets sadly. The color looks good though, so I'd search for fabric similar to that. Boots should also work with removing the strap. They sit very nicely on you, since her's were not full knee high boots.

Poncho looks nice and the colors work well! Design Master is my favorite to use for Endor Troopers, though living in LA makes it easier to get haha. I can't fully tell from the photo, but is there a seam on the back of the poncho? If so that sadly wont pass, but the poncho wont be hard to remake luckily.

Hair and shirt look fabulous!! I'm in love with the color and fit you got from the shirt, very well done! The only thing is the hem on the sleeves need to be a bit wider, about 3". I can't really see the vest fabric well in that light to fully know if it'd work. Maybe take photos of it outside in natural lighting to better know?

Everything looks great and I'm excited to see this fully done Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely job on this so far!

Couple of things I noticed. The pants should be fine *IF* you use them only with the poncho. I've been told by many LCJ judges if it can't be seen when worn, it's fine ie; zippers/pockets etc. I've seen many Hero Rey's with pockets on their pants that aren't visible when the full costume is worn as an example. You may want to double check this with an LCJ but you should be good on that end for Endor.

Now if you are also planning on using them for Briefing Room than unfortunately, they won't work as they will be seen. Have you tried your local thrift stores? That is where I found mine. They were originally taupe and I dyed them blue. That may be an option for you if you don't wish the hassle of making pants.

The blaster is perfect with some mods. I wrote up a whole saga on my builds for both these costumes (which are both approved) and in it, detailed what we used for the pieces to modify it. Was surprisingly simple with some pieces added from the hardware store.

Your shirt pattern is great! I may grab it to add to my stash as I like the look of the collar.

For the vest, I would suggest a bottomweight twill. It holds the shape well and is easy to work with. Your color looks a bit dark but that could be the lighting?

Hidden zippers are fine. My boots have an inside zipper. I would remove the straps though, if possible.

You're off to a wonderful start. If you have any questions though, please post away! Another resource you may find useful is the Facebook group "Bun Squad". Many Leia's in there willing to help out a new Princess. Good luck!

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Spectre-9 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your feedback. I really appreciate it! It's nice to know that I am on the right track.

LeiaAurora I have seen your build thread. I am sure it will be super helpful for the vest/blaster construction!

Image worked!

I will certainly start look for a new pair of pants and look into having the strap removed from the boots. There is a local shoe shop that does repairs, so I think it should be an easy fix. There isn't a seam on the back of the poncho, it just needs to be ironed.

I picked up my 3D print for today for the communicator and rank badge. It's a bit rough, but it was free so I am happy! I think it will do nicely with some finishing work and paint.

Leia/Endor Rebel Commando Trooper Rank Badge by JohnMorog is licensed under the CC-BY

Endor Leia wrist communicator by SuperheroGi is licensed under CC-BY

Cheers,
Nicholle
RogueLeader1995 (Giulia Andriulo)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sprectre-9!! Smile

Your costume looks good so far and I have to confirm what Bekahsoka and LeiaAurora said! But don't worry we are here to help you Smile I am an approved briefing room Leia and I'm plannig to start the poncho soon so we can help each other.
But if this could help, here is my complete WIP of the briefing uniform: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97105

good luck and if you have any questions please ask!

Special Projects team in Galactic Strategic Command Detachment (build guides/ resources).

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I used both those prints for my costume and they are great!

In progress/submitted: Vice Admiral Holdo, Clone Wars Padme Amidala, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Spectre-9 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for the Bun Squad, thanks for the tip! I got some good feedback on a 3D print pattern for the donut part of the helmet. It sounds a bit hit and miss whether it worked for people, but I decided to just go for it and see if I can make it work. I will post a picture when it is ready :-)

Also, good to know about the pockets on the pants perhaps not being a big deal with the poncho! When I finish the shirt and wrist communicator (and a touch up on the poncho dye) I will try for approval first with the Commando costume and work on the vest and pants without pockets later. I am in the middle of moving right now, so probably won't get to it for a few weeks.

RogueLeader1995 (Giulia) thank you for the link to your build thread. I love your costume! I am excited to see your work on the poncho. I found the hood to be the most difficult part (I made 3 attempts). I ended up using a pattern for the hood on a children's jacket (enlarged, of course) and just cut of the fold of the fabric so that there was no seam on the part surrounding the face. I had to top stitch to make the donut shape and tuck it in a bit on the top to make it fit. I have the Star Wars costume book and it looks close to the hood on the original. I know some people cut out a donut shape and attached it to a hood, but I found this easier.

Are you building the helmet as well? If you or anyone else with a completed build have any tips on that part I would so appreciate any help! I looked for an AN-H-15 helmet on ebay, but they are pretty expensive (shipping to Canada is really pricey) and mostly stained/dirty looking for something I want to put on my head (mystery stains, eek!). I know they are ~70 years old, so it is somewhat expected. I guess I could wash it! I tried the pattern that is floating around but it is clearly for a man with a larger head. I didn't have much success with it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and words of encouragement! I hope you are having a great weekend.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.
Your progress is looking good so far; keep it up. Smile

The thing about the 3D file for the donut is that you have to size it for your head (with helmet on). That's the hard part. The file itself should be fine and has been tested out, but you need to make sure you print it the right size or get it scaled as needed before printing.

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a sticky in this forum wherein all build threads are listed based on what costume they refer to, and it is frequently updated by the DCO. I suggest going through the threads there for information and inspiration. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: