Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d69ab7cca611405196e1cf7c071fb52dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kal Argos ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerrick Sunrunner wrote:
I think the concern was that it would be too small to wear, the Poe's black series helmet is snug on most folk.
If you look at the helmets that RS props offer cast from a found part they look alot smaller than my DFX.

Oh, okay just overall fit for most costumers here may be small.. okay.

Yeah my DHPFX fits way better than the efx luke one... if memory serves DHPFX used the large size APH helmet. Visually the BS looks closer to my DHPFX one... the efx dwarfs them both. Efx says they used the real helmets to get measurements but its definitely bigger than my DHPFX one.... all still great helmets.
sabino (Ann Collins)
Ra Kura Base CO
Ra Kura Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert nor have I painted one myself but I have had a member recently approved here in Ra Kura with a black series that she modded and repainted as her own. It turned out great. So I purchased a deal on Amazon recently that was a buy 2 and get one free. Even if it doesn't get me approval at least they will be cool display pieces.
aimeekitty (Aimee Steinberger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more word on these? Is Luke’s small? Is it approvable?
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can’t say if it’s approvable.
But I just picked one up and it looks the same size as my DH-P/FX, just slightly shorter from front to back. I don’t know which is more correct. It’s actually wider at the base.

The mohawk is shorter, making it, I believe, MORE accurate to the onscreen helmets than DarthHair’s otherwise stellar creations.

If you’re looking to approve a Red 5 out of the box, it may or may not need some modding. Need a closer look at position of paint and decals, etc.

Mic “wire” is all metal instead of coated with grey plastic as in the original Racal Amplivox Minilite headsets that were used (also in the Falcon). But you could simply fold it away and hide it. Mics were only worn in craft anyway (because they were part of the headsets). No reason why you should need a mic in order to be approved.

Front button for electronics is barely visible but this could be a sticking point.

Costumes: Luke Skywalker
Lars Homestead/Tatooine | Death Star Escape | X-Wing Pilot | Snowspeeder/X-Wing | Bespin Fatigues
Pablo_Robo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts Reply with quote

I think the helmet is great - but can see the point about front button and the mic.
But apart from the above - can it be worn/cleared out-of-the-box?
I would not want to repaint it.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black Series X-Wing Helmet Thoughts Reply with quote

Pablo_Robo wrote:
I think the helmet is great - but can see the point about front button and the mic.
But apart from the above - can it be worn/cleared out-of-the-box?
I would not want to repaint it.
Until there's an official word you could always submit your costume without a helmet, and then just wear it when you troop. Helmets aren't required, after all, so that would be okay. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SageLeader ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of getting approved right now and I submitted the Black Series Luke helmet. This is what my judge said:

Quote:
The square push button switch on your helmet needs to be covered over so that it doesn't look like a switch. This is similar to the modifications we ask all Black Series Resistance pilots to make. With the resistance pilot helmet I removed the switch completely and then filled the cavity with Milliput (https://www.milliput.com/yellow_grey.html). Once it had hardened I sanded it and finished it with a fine grit before spraying. One thing I forgot to mention is the mic stalk should be covered in grey vinyl.

I will likely just submit without helmet and then try to work on this. I might try to 3D print something to fill in the button hole because I don't want to have to spray paint if I don't need to. To be honest the button is not noticeable at all from a distance but I get that it does need to be as screen accurate as possible.
Adam Mac ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the mike, could it be covered with grey shrink wrap?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a thin layer of air dry clay could work to cover the mic wire,

so long as the result is smooth.

The good thing is it retains a small amount of flexibility after.

You can either use grey or blend black and white to get the desired colour.

Or use plain white clay and paint it up after drying.

Lars Homestead/Tatooine | Death Star Escape | X-Wing Pilot | Snowspeeder/X-Wing | Bespin Fatigues
CGN1971 (Chad)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go ahead and get one, the mic and button should be a easy fix and even if we had to have a taller mohawk there is a good base to easily modify it.
Knights of the Jedi Order
2016-2017 Cloud City Temple Master
Jerrick Sunrunner (Mark Mulcaster)
Elstree Base CO
Elstree Base CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the 1.6mm heat shrink: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/254284414865?chn=ps&var=553756440644&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=553756440644_254284414865&targetid=855770227906&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046019&campaignid=7643169300&mkgroupid=91267744271&rlsatarget=aud-498165878543:pla-855770227906&abcId=1139576&merchantid=119152622&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9orxBRD0ARIsAK9JDxS-lM8LtC9JksD80W2GrO2ezpBHQ0ISCpAbKR2LZsxIIoeENLkiiOsaArGTEALw_wcB
OT X-Wing Pilot Judge
aimeekitty (Aimee Steinberger)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Sounds like its pretty much approvable with some small modifications!
Corellian_Creator (DJ Burgess)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the Hasbro B.S. X-Wing helmet is a pretty good size. It's not too snug on my head, and both taking it off and on is pretty easy/little to no discomfort.

I'm in the process of repainting my second one (as Gold Leader), I'll attach some pics of my Red Leader below (as I know this is an "X-Wing" thread Razz ), my helmet is currently shown on http://goldenarmor.com/red-leader/ as I worked with Cristofer Adrian on his vinyl decals.

I'm open for commissions - either for complete custom designs, or for canon/legends pilot repaints. Thanks everyone! MTFBWY.

~DJ B.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a great job on that helmet, Corellian_Creator. Most impressive! What did you use to cover the metal microphone arm?

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
A New Hopeful ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it’s beautiful!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: