Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b7b3ed3c776be43fcee5c6c782cc15fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cara Dune Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress today! I finished up painting the blaster and it looks great! I ended up giving it a nice base primer coat with spray paint and then hand painted the different colored areas using acrylic paint. Once it had dried, I added a sealant over it so the paint wouldn't chip.

With the blaster finally done, I could use it to pattern the holster and side piece. I used many reference angles but this was the best one for me.

I decided that the entire thing was made of leather based on other angles so I used a scrap piece I had in my stash and luckily had just enough for both pieces! I'd been holding onto it for over a year and a half so I was glad it would finally be used.

I referred to many photos and then drew a diagram of what was needed as well as took general measurements of myself and where i wanted the pieces to fall. You can see in the display that the end of the holster reaches roughly 2-3 inches past the longest finger so I made sure to do the same for mine.

I also took measurements of the blaster itself. The holster stops "hooking" at where the scope ends so I patterned the top piece and then placed it over the blaster to make sure the fit was right.

Once I had it finalized on scrap paper, I cut out the front piece out of the leather and then used that piece to trace the bigger piece needed for the back. I made sure to leave about a half inch of room so I could sew it together and then wet form it to shape afterwards.

Once it was sewn and topstitched, I placed it on the belt it would rest on and figured out placement. Since I want to be able to transport this costume easily, I added industrial strength Velcro to the belt and to the top of the holster so I could take it off easily if needed. With that done, I did a full try on.

I made a leather strap piece and added necessary snaps to it and installed them and was finished! I ended by soaking the leather and clamping it with hair clips. I plan to let it dry overnight so that it holds the shape.

It definitely needs to be weathered but other than that, it's ready to go!

My next step will be adding the waistband to the pants so that they are done also. I'm not sure if I will get to that tonight as I will be working till late but possibly!

Finally so glad to be mostly finished with all the soft parts of this costume!

Mr. Green
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added the waistband to the pants today between school and work. Loving how they fit! I apologize for the dusty mirror. Every time I clean it I think it's fine and then these pictures show it isn't. Mad

Decided to do a full try on of all the pieces currently in my possession and I am so excited!

I am going to take in the side of the tunic slightly as it is gaping just a bit under the arm but other than that, all the soft parts are done.

I plan on patterning out the knee and thigh armor today and making them with foam. That is my game plan for today and hopefully will finish them tonight as well. Fingers crossed!
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shift ended up being shorter than originally scheduled so I was able to get a lot more done tonight!

I always sketch things out after reviewing references so this was my initial sketch for the knee guard and the thigh piece. The knee guard sits on the right leg and the thigh piece on the left leg.

I started off with the knee piece as I figured it would be slightly easier. I took general measurements for this to start. Basically, the length around my knee, the height of roughly my knee cap and the width of my actual knee area. Once I had those, I made a very basic pattern on a piece of paper. You can see the start of the pattern here.

Once I had the fit where I wanted it, I adjusted the shape of the pattern until it curved more and looked closer to references. After the outer shape was done, I retraced the pattern on another piece of paper and made the inner shape pieces. I then cut those out and made individual patterns for them also.

Since this would be something that needs to be flexible, I chose to make it with EVA Foam instead of a 3D print.
My local JoAnn's was out of the 5mm craft foam I wanted to use and I was thinking I was out of luck until I stumble onto this in the kids arts and crafts area!

Here is a good shot of the thickness of it which was perfect for what I needed it for!!

I cut the base of the knee pad out of this and then used a 2mm foam piece for the inner section. I then glued the pieces to each other using E6000 and spray painted them with a flat black paint.
While that dried, I started on the thigh piece. I basically did the same thing. I measured my thigh and how far around it would need to go and made the armor piece 5 inches wide. Once the outer piece was done (made with the 5mm craft foam in black), I used my 2mm foam to cut out the middle section. I used a box cutter blade to cut out the rectangles and then glued it to the outer piece and then gave that a good paint as well.

I plan on letting them sit overnight and then using a hair dryer to curve the foam to fit my thigh area. Once I have that settled, I am going to sew Velcro to the pants where I want the armor to sit and then attach the armor that way. I also plan on giving these pieces a solid weathering once they are dry.

The knee piece is held on with elastic that crosses in the back. For that, I have a 2 inch piece of black elastic ready to go. Just need to wait for paint to dry to attach that also. With all this done, I am so happy that by tomorrow, if all goes well, those pieces will be done also!

The next step is to work on the collar armor piece. I have a general idea of what I want to do but still haven't quite figured it out.

The rest of my armor is arriving Friday and my boots on Monday so I am super close to completion on this! Can't wait!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is safe to say I am officially done. I really needed to get this done before school really got in to gear so I made it my goal to finish by this weekend and luckily, I'd say I did!

I sanded and painted all my pieces last night and this morning and then added magnets and Velcro, depending on which piece to help keep it in place.

Once I had everything set up, I did a try on of all the belt pieces and they all stayed in place and looked great. I was really happy with the end result.

I also received my custom Cara boots from Crow Props today and I love them! I had to cut the holding area on the right side to fit my 3D printed pieces and then put it back together but other than that, no complaints.

With everything "mostly" done, I did a quick try on to see how it all looked together. I know my back plate is not centered but since I had to put it on myself and the person taking my photos didn't know better, it was like that for the shot. I'll fix it for approval shots. Mr. Green

After my try on, I adjusted the Velcro on the shoulders so it would hang farther down and not touch the front armor. Other than that, I was pretty happy with everything else.

The collar was the last step for me and I was dreading it but it turned out to be surprisingly easy. I had sketched out a basic idea for the pattern at school this morning and made an actual pattern piece with foam at home this evening with my dimensions.

We found out that the collar is made of some sort of rubber material and is a gray/muted black so once that was confirmed, I used dark gray vinyl and set to work. I also used the same leather piping I had for the princess seams for this. I made sure to have the center back seam and the topstitching on either side of it as well as the darker color. I used some black shoe polish to give the vinyl a more weathered look.

Once it was attached to my liking, I put the entire top piece together and voila.

There are a few small things I want to fix like more weathering and also lightening the color on the center bands in front. I initially made a mix of teal and gray but it came out looking more black than teal so I'm going to lighten that up a bit but I think that should do it. I need to practice that hairstyle too! Amadalia
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on finishing! Your Cara looks great! Good luck with your submission!

Also, thank you for sharing your build! This thread is a great resource.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my submission photos today. This was the first time I did a full wear test with hair and makeup and I am very pleased! I think I may purchase the stamp that is being sold to make the Rebel symbol on the cheek. While I can draw a decent one, I would prefer to not have to rely on my shoddy artistic skills. rebelbird

I went ahead and did a side by side grab of my costume against the costume exhibit. I chose to omit the knife hilt as even the thought of wearing it made me extremely uncomfortable. Other than that, though, I kept to the standard proposal.

Just sent in my submission so we'll see what happens. *fingers crossed*
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amelia wrote:
Congrats on finishing! Your Cara looks great! Good luck with your submission!

Also, thank you for sharing your build! This thread is a great resource.

Thank you! I truly love this costume and while it was stressful at times to make, I am so glad I did it. Mr. Green
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved as is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: