Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=002ae42c30f814ccbc98093e97127691Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Flight Suit Question (Red Kap modifications)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErynnKaycien (Leah Williams)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Flight Suit Question (Red Kap modifications) Reply with quote

Hello,

I have bought myself a couple sets of Red Kap coveralls to combine to make a flight suit.

I have found some patterns for pockets on the forums. I noticed that the opening of the waist pocket (where your hand would go in) on the pattern didn't match the shape/ curve of the existing pocket on the coveralls. I was wondering what people did for this, as I noticed that many have used the Red Kap brand for their flight suit. (Adjust the pattern so that it matches the curve of the pocket as the Red Kap suit has it, or is there a way to adjust it to work to the way the pattern has it.)

Or am I just overthinking things. (Which I tend to do.)

Thank you for any help. =)
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply sewed a second pocket over the first. You can sew the original, factory ones shut and then just have pants that you sew the new pocket on. Or, be even simpler and leave the factory pocket and sew the new one on and then you have two pockets on each hip. That's what I did. Occasionally, it leads to confusion about which pocket things are in, but rarely.

Shows up best on my Willrow pics:

It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend just sewing the hip pockets closed. Back when I was still a judge we'd ask people to sew them closed if we could see that they were obviously there (as in, we could see the inside of the pocket, making it obvious that the pocket was there). Of course, if you can't see the pockets in the pictures then it shouldn't be any big deal... But I'd sew them closed just to be safe.

I have the hip pockets sewn closed on all of my suits and you really don't notice them.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for responding. I think I am going to sew the pockets shut just to be safe. And thank you for the picture to reference to! I am a very visual person, so this helps greatly.

I was also wondering how thick the boarder around the comm pad needs to be. (that's the only pocket I don't have a pattern for.) I think I can handle making a pattern, I just want to make sure that I have made it the correct size.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ErynnKaycien wrote:
Thank you so much for responding. I think I am going to sew the pockets shut just to be safe. And thank you for the picture to reference to! I am a very visual person, so this helps greatly.

I was also wondering how thick the boarder around the comm pad needs to be. (that's the only pocket I don't have a pattern for.) I think I can handle making a pattern, I just want to make sure that I have made it the correct size.

I'd have to go measure, but I think maybe 1.5" or so? I did have a pattern, but I can't find it now. I have one for everything else, but not that one. Sorry! I would advise putting some velcro on the comm pad in some way to keep it in place. Just FYI. They fall out like crazy if you don't. I put sew-on velcro on the inside edge of my pocket at the corners and then put sticky velcro on the corners of the comm pad. Others put the velcro on the arm of the flightsuit and the back of the comm pad, but I like the edges of the pocket being adhered down to the pad. I think it looks better.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just noticing the stitching on the pockets and I was wondering if this stitching is what they are looking for, or if it needed to be more prominent?

Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: