Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6af17ae61bdb6dd427a07b070538f051Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

dkiaraboushh Boushh Repairs (pic heavy)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkiaraboushh (Destyni Baca)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: dkiaraboushh Boushh Repairs (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Because I have now surpassed 50 (!) troops as Leia in Boushh disguise, she’s in need of a little TLC. I will be updating this as I make repairs and document how certain aspects of the costume were made to begin with, while including the reference images I used while building this in 2017.

Encantada Delegation Vice Leader
Instagram: @destynikiara

Last edited by dkiaraboushh (Destyni Baca) on Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! Very Happy I'm sure that will be helpful to other Boushh Leias out there.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I will not be repairing the staff because it was the last part of my costume to be made, I will explain how I went about doing so.

First, I followed this thread as a guide: https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/boushh-electro-staff-budget-build.29636/

Then, as we went to the hardware stores, we compared the bottom bit of the staff to this one from the Sideshow collectibles figure:

This was the hardest part to figure out due to there being hardly any accurate/recurring renditions or reference images of it. The trapezoidal ”box” is 3D printed, as my dad designed the file based on the figure’s staff. The rest pieces of PVC/plumbing materials.

Taped together to get an idea of shape before gluing/assembly.

Checking the height.

Ready for paint.

Top detail.

Bottom details.

Spray painted with flat black+primer, then dry-brushed over with silver acrylic paint!

First troop showing it off!

VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, it will be very useful. I love this costume and i hope to make it one day Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the reference photos that I primarily used, along with the pages from the Star Wars Original Trilogy Costuming book. These photos were taken at Star Wars: The Art of Costuming Exhibit at the Denver Art Museum.

The main thing to note about the costume on display at the exhibit is that a couple of pieces are actually missing from it. One is the tan leather belt with the rectangular buckle, and the other is a couple of the metal rods on the top part of the bandolier (right shoulder). There should be six, but here only four are intact.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now onto the helmet... the Holy Grail...

I got my kit from Todd (Sandman), but not directly. A friend of mine had bought one in order to display it, but sold his to me so I could get started on my dream costume!

Here are some progress photos:
I couldn't seem to find any photos of the helmet kit before cutting anything besides these:

Now, this is after greeblies have been glued on and the lenses have been cut out:

Greeblies for strap, scope, (and parts of bandolier and boot disks):

The snout where leather goes is masked off:

Primed and ready for paint!

My dad and I learned how to airbrush for this project, and we followed the technique and process of this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7gZg4yHbplsJ8ZoSlP8vNg
We deviated a bit from the exact process because we felt that our reference images conveyed the helmet to be a little lighter in color and more gray. We used acrylic paints, I can add a photo of them in later, but she mentions the brand in the paint videos.

First coat of dark brown/black mix:

Added more chocolate brown:

Adding a mix of white and brown in areas for chips/weathering:

I do not have any progress photos of the gray airbrushing before adding the details.

Added finishing details. I hand-painted the symbols and dry-brushed the silver weathering on:

The scope and lenses were then installed, as well as a fan for circulation. I will add a photo of the inside.

This is after the leather was applied. A friend of mine bought a humongous piece of leather for this part because the color was perfect! We also chose it because it was not too thick and laid better on the helmet. I will see if I have the detail of this written down and will add it in later.

To note, make sure you trim the piece of the helmet behind the ear enough that there is room for your head! Make sure you account for the thickness of the leather as well, as the space is rather tiny and will catch your ears. That's one regret I have because I can barely fit my head into it (and I'm super small at only 4'10").

VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this is so precious Very Happy .
Thank you so so much Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these write ups. Very Happy They are really helpful. Amadalia

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: