Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0dd621ee85c4b0e5366d5b3447923e8dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Qui Gon options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Qui Gon options Reply with quote

I have a friend who's working on a really great Qui-Gon costume, and now it's time to buy the lightsaber. He doesn't want to build or modify one, he wants one right of the box. I've been helping out by checking around and these are the options I can find, but since I'm not an expert on the original I would like to get some feedback.

His first choice is the Saberforge Elite guardian lightsaber - https://saberforge.com/collections/elite-sabers/products/guardian

The Korbath neopixel seems to be a great saber, but I think it's out of his price range. (with shipping and customs we usually have to double the actual price for expensive replicas like this before they arrive) https://www.korbanth.com/collections/neo-pixel-installed-sabers/products/neo-pixel-installed-master-qg-saber

I've checked KR/Saber armory, Ultimate Works/Pachstore and they are sold out of Qui Gon's ligthsaber.

I have seen some FX sabers on ebay as well.

My initial suggestion would be to buy an FX saber (if they are good enough for approval) and wait for a run from KR or UW, but if the SF option would be good enough for approval I think he would like to go for that.

Any feedback is appreciated.
General_HighGround (Chris)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the UW Quigon in person and its really awesome. I actually sold that one for the KR sabers Quigon, have yet to install it.
The SF Quigon is a decent choice, though I highly HIGHLY recommend you steer clear of any SF electronics. They have poor quality control and the price for a fully installed saber can get you something much better if you buy the empty hilt and then send it to a installer to get your electronic work done.
I used to offer my services, but now with how busy work and life are, Im afraid I can no longer be of help.

I do have several suggestions for installers; Smugglers Outpost, RGV Custom Sabers, Soroc Sabers, ANW Saber Services. The optimal setup would be Neopixel blade with a CFX or Proffieboard 2.5. Though a good green/lime tri-cree setup can be wonderfully bright.

Another thing to remember is although Ultrasabers is good for their empty entry level hilts, their canon inspired hilts are very very oversized and unwieldy.

Costumes:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Episode III
Stellar Corona ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top recommendation would be the UW/Pach store, but with electronics and string blade they tend to be higher priced. The neopixel string blades also aren't great for dueling.

SF is a good, reasonably priced entry level hero saber. I guess the electronics can be hit and miss, but I own 4 of them and have never had an electronics issue. They're also much brighter and correctly sized compared to other entry level options such as ultra sabers. You can also cut the price by getting just light (it's not like people can hear sound on con floors anyway). So perhaps get the SF with just light to start to keep it affordable, and then save up for Pach Store's next run.

I absolutely do not recommend Korbanth.
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, I have passed them on and they are really helpful.

I have also found this German sabermaker, and it would be easier to buy something from within the EU to avoid too high shipping and import fees.

https://argentumsabers.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Shop49846.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop49846/Products/4580
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: