Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e1ec9126b2b24bd350e705d9353211e2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Commando Leia WIP/Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Endor Commando Leia WIP/Questions Reply with quote

Hi, I've been working on my Endor Commando Leia for almost a year now (with a huge break in between). I need to get her finished, but I have a few questions.

Also, I keep getting stuck on the poncho, and most of my questions surround that one piece.
1) The standards say that it is self-lined, but I have talked to and seen many ponchos that aren't. Does it need to be two layers? I live in a place where it's mostly warm all the time, and using twill, as most seem to recommend, makes it heavy with two layers.
2) The size of the oval around the face seems that it is smaller than I'd think it would be. It fits right over her donut, but looks like it would barely get over it. Is that correct? Also, I don't have a donut and don't know that I ever will (see #1 above), so should I just get it as close as I think?

Boots
1) The standards say black boots and the usual notations about zippers. However, it says doesn't mention stitching on the boots. However, I have seen several instances where boots with stitching around the top or bottom were looked down upon and even suggested that they may not be approved. What is approvable here? Can it have some stitching?
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Current progress Reply with quote

Although fabrics come and go, here are some that I used for the shirt and trousers. Maybe they will help give you ideas.

The shirt pocket pattern and tutorial here were an incredible help: http://www.rebelshaven.com/etshirt.html

This is the fabric that I used for my shirt:

This is the fabric I used for the stripe on the trousers. How I did the stripe was to use a 1" bias maker thingy to make a 1" strip. Then, I cut and applied fusible webbing to the back side. (I believe I used Steam a Seam Lite, but Heat 'n Bond or a sewable fusible product will work.) I ironed the stripe on (before sewing the left and right sides of the trousers together) so I could get it placed neatly and then sewed it down with matching thread.

The fabric for the trousers were, honestly, the hardest fabric to finzd. I ended up with some stretch Twill from Joann. Stretch has been a lifesaver because, well, sometimes I eat too much ice cream.

Last edited by jennyruth () on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello jennyruth. Smile

Your progress is looking great! And what I can see of your boots also looks good.
It's normal for boots to have a bit of stitching; it's more if it's overdone/purely decorative where it might draw attention to itself and away from the overall costume it might be a problem. Otherwise it should be fine.

The self-lining on the poncho is mainly to hide the back of the seams, you could say. And yes, it is a serious outerwear piece of clothing. If you think it'll be too heavy and warm you could consider doing the costume without the poncho. (Unless you really like it, of course). But that's up to you. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hello jennyruth. Smile

Your progress is looking great! And what I can see of your boots also looks good.
It's normal for boots to have a bit of stitching; it's more if it's overdone/purely decorative where it might draw attention to itself and away from the overall costume it might be a problem. Otherwise it should be fine.

The self-lining on the poncho is mainly to hide the back of the seams, you could say. And yes, it is a serious outerwear piece of clothing. If you think it'll be too heavy and warm you could consider doing the costume without the poncho. (Unless you really like it, of course). But that's up to you. Smile

Thank you!

I will try to get a better picture of the boots soon.

I may have to get the vest made at some point Smile I'll push on with the poncho for now.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Smile

I hope you end up with a costume that you'll love to wear. Or at least not feel like you are dying in when wearing it. Razz

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are doing a great job Smile.
My boots have no seams, they are riding boots.

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeroLeia94 wrote:
I think you are doing a great job Smile.
My boots have no seams, they are riding boots.

Thank you!
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Topstitching Reply with quote

Topstitching on the poncho (somewhere around the seam on the 6' piece) is listed as optional, but I cannot tell where the topstitching would actually go. Is it on both sides of that seam? Or just one?

I thought I saw a picture at some point, but I can't find it anywhere now. I may have just been dreaming of that.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Topstitching Reply with quote

jennyruth wrote:
Topstitching on the poncho (somewhere around the seam on the 6' piece) is listed as optional, but I cannot tell where the topstitching would actually go. Is it on both sides of that seam? Or just one?

I thought I saw a picture at some point, but I can't find it anywhere now. I may have just been dreaming of that.

It’s 6 inches past the edges on both sides. As for the lining of the poncho, I used the twill fabric for the outside and then I used muslin for the inside. It helped to keep it lighter but still hid the seams.
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the poncho with the pretty twill fabric, but it was just too heavy to be comfortable for long troops. So, I tried again with a lighter cotton and am much happier with it. I ended up using Kona Cotton (my particular shade was "natural") by Robert Kaufman. I found it both at onlinefabricstore.com and fabric.com. The lining was a thinner "basic cotton" (in the same natural color) that I found at Hobby Lobby.

The hood/neck still gave me some fits, but I think I’ve got it as good as I can without an expert in Leia’s poncho giving me patterns and/or lessons. I did enjoy painting it very much. I included a pic of the paints I used. I did many layers, after experimenting with order and looks on the old twill version, so it worked out to have an “extra” to play with after all. Those comfort grip handles saved my hands.

The size for the rectangle were based on my size and the description in the costume standards. The part that gave me fits and made me almost quit several times was the hood. So, I'm sure these aren't perfect, but maybe they can help you get started.

Head hole, meaning the hole you cut out of your rectangle to sew the hood onto.

As far as the slits for the belt, I basically made a really large button hole.

This is my very poorly done sketch for my color scheme. I think I made some of my brown blobs too big, so you may want to adjust size if you use this. The top right corner has my notes of how I did the layering.

Last edited by jennyruth () on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors look great!!!
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
VeroLeia94 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks incredible Laughing

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, LeiaAurora & VeroLeia94!!
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started working on my accessories.

This is a 3D printed blaster kit from Traywick Designs.

After sanding, priming, and using Bondo in multiple cycles, it is now black.

These are the two colors used after priming. The hammered first and then the textured. After they dry really well, I’ll add a top coat.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blaster is looking great!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: