Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f41616bb71f07d4f9ffb5a6d39cfb26fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Scorch build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Scorch build Reply with quote

Hi everyone! Starting my Scorch build finally after getting the kit last year.

As an asian guy, the kit is MASSIVE! (I'm 177cm, 73kg). Trimming the kit gets pretty scary.

So far i've only completed the bucket

Planning to start on the biceps next, but since its HUGE i'm quite conflicted on how much i can trim it.

Would really love to get some assistance on this if possible. Attached below is the desired trim lines:

Which will make it perfect size for me

But the problem will be resin attachment which will be smaller than the inclided area like this

Instead of it sitting properly like this

Is this acceptible?

Thanks everyone!

Kevin
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Kevin.

I have a few who know RCs better than I, and will see if they can join us here.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
GreenCloak (Reef J Johnston)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My four bothers and I talked about this very thing when building our Commandos. Ultimately we decided against it. If the arms are narrower than the resin detail doesn't fit properly in several spots, making it look too big for the arm.

Am I correct in saying that you have a PA kit? That's who we went with, as well.
ionicdesign (Michael)

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reef. Also, one of the defining characteristic of the RC is their bulky appearance.

I would use foam and or other supports internally to keep the size and maintain that look while still having it fit you well.

thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenCloak wrote:
My four bothers and I talked about this very thing when building our Commandos. Ultimately we decided against it. If the arms are narrower than the resin detail doesn't fit properly in several spots, making it look too big for the arm.

Am I correct in saying that you have a PA kit? That's who we went with, as well.

Hi Reef,

You are correct, this is a PA kit. Would it be possible to know your size and see the worn finished forearm? it would certainly be easier for me to assemble without trimming.
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
Thanks Reef. Also, one of the defining characteristic of the RC is their bulky appearance.

I would use foam and or other supports internally to keep the size and maintain that look while still having it fit you well.

Noted! Thanks Michael,

Attaching here are some pics comparison 2 different trimming done

1. This is without trimming. The hole on the hand end is the whole too big or acceptible?

2. With a little bit of trimming only on the hand end to reduce the size of the hole.

Both alternative will still require foam in the inside to make sure they don't roll around.[/img]
ionicdesign (Michael)

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reefs and others can chime in but I would do the first, and add foam / support on the inside.

I think that will look better and maintain the appearance of the armour.

GreenCloak (Reef J Johnston)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Reef,

You are correct, this is a PA kit. Would it be possible to know your size and see the worn finished forearm? it would certainly be easier for me to assemble without trimming.

PA does good work.

I'm on the smaller side, too. I'm 5'8" (177cm) and 150lbs (68kg).
It will take me awhile to remember how to post pictures here, but here is a link to a YouTube video of me wearing my armor ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpUU9_Ud-A ). Maybe it will help? Right around the 0:40 mark.
I kept the forearms their original size which worked out well in the long run. I wear security riot control gloves that fit me snugly while also keeping with the bulky look of the armor. Properly padding the forearm also allows for comfort during wear and not only keeps the armor in place, but helps with mobility (I padded the backside more so than the inner arm).
The spacing inside the forearm also allowed me to go back and add electronics for a voice glove.
Just some things to consider.[/youtube]
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ionicdesign wrote:
Reefs and others can chime in but I would do the first, and add foam / support on the inside.

I think that will look better and maintain the appearance of the armour.

Noted thanks Michael!
thisiskevin ()
Nusantara Outpost CO
Nusantara Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenCloak wrote:
Quote:
Hi Reef,

PA does good work.

I'm on the smaller side, too. I'm 5'8" (177cm) and 150lbs (68kg).
It will take me awhile to remember how to post pictures here, but here is a link to a YouTube video of me wearing my armor ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpUU9_Ud-A ). Maybe it will help? Right around the 0:40 mark.
I kept the forearms their original size which worked out well in the long run. I wear security riot control gloves that fit me snugly while also keeping with the bulky look of the armor. Properly padding the forearm also allows for comfort during wear and not only keeps the armor in place, but helps with mobility (I padded the backside more so than the inner arm).
The spacing inside the forearm also allowed me to go back and add electronics for a voice glove.
Just some things to consider.[/youtube]

Reef thats awesome! Seeing that we're of similar build, seeing this video gives me the confidence that i can pull it off!

Do you have a build thread by any chance?
Lt. Chops ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Fellow RC here from Virginia.

As far as the forearms go make sure whatever you take off on one side you kick on the other. Both sides should be mirrored.

What I ended up doing to get them (the forearms) to a more circular shape was this.

1. Big pot that is taller than the length of the forearm
2. Fill with water and heat but dont boil
3. Tape forearms on the open side to artificially bend into a circular shape
4. Leave it in hot water for a couple minutes then pull out and let cool

The plastic should cool enough into it's new shape and the forearms should be in a better shape to put together.

Also, dont worry about the ends of the resin pieces being a bit over the end of the plastic it sits on. Mine do that as well but it is barely noticable.once painted. It's just a few centimeters at best.

Now the biggest piece of advice. I would go to the cloneteooper detachment forum and go to the Republic Commando tab. That's where I got help and it's full of others who have built these kits before. It's a great resource and worth using.

Vode'an brother and I hope this helped. Keep up the great work 6-2!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: