Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a57e212d5b49119a229a46095b37d8e4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Suitable ROTS Innter Tunic Fabric queery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MomentarilyEpic ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Suitable ROTS Innter Tunic Fabric queery Reply with quote

During this pandemic, Ive been wanting to start an Anakin ROTS costume and ive spent the few months researching and practasing sewing. One of my main concerns is finding a suitable inner tunic fabric that doesnt break the bank a great deal as there is no more actual screened used material left.
Through my research, i found that the inner tunic was a 95% silk 5% lycra stretch blend (please correct me if im wrong) and so by googling that i came across this link.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/793891439/stretch-silk-satinchiffon-5-lycra-95?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=silk+lycra+fabric&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&frs=1

after comparing it to the photos of the actual costume i feel that it has the correct texture but im incredibly new to this. Ive ordered a sample and will send a pic when it arrives but for now i was just wondering if this is a suitable option for the inner tunic and if not what would you suggest (im based in the uk so specific websites might not offer international shipping)[/img]
MomentarilyEpic ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sample arrived and i used my hand as scale for the grain and texture of the fabric and i feel like this could be a very suitable inner tunic fabric for anakin but would like some more feedback

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D7gLodixLn8ZHOXlMCLbiG1duaMA1L9X/view?usp=sharing
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks great and the texture looks really really close to the real thing. I also think it's really cool that the fabric percentages match the screen used material. If you end up using it to make your inner tunic what dye method will you go with?
MomentarilyEpic ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thank you, honestly means alot hearing it from you, ive been browsing the forums for months now and I keep seeing your stuff and it truly is amazing

In terms of dyeing, I hadn't actually got that far in terms of research lol, I know that silk prefers vinegar to salt but other than that i'm not too sure. As I don't need a lot (as i'm only doing the dickie and one sleeve) I was thinking of doing it in the bath or something but am open to better ideas and dye recommendations for a good colour
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very kind of you to say. Thank you!

I'm still learning how to mix colors with RIT dyes. In fact one of my next projects will be trying to create a custom color from their dye recipe chart on their website.
MomentarilyEpic ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thats cool, I think at the moment my main focus will be the outer tunic, obi and fabric tabbards as i already heave the heavy cotton gauze people suggest for anakin and i was wondering what was your dying process/what dyes you used for that because i saw the one you made with the fabric and it came out looking really good, i was also wondering if you doubled or tripled any layers as well as lining
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use RIT dyes. I'm sure there are other brands that work well too but I just used them because they are readily available in Joanns as well as most grocery stores and they are relatively cheap. Plus you can mix colors very easily.

For the tunic sets I made I used a combination of 2 Dark Brown RIT to 1 Black RIT and in some cases I added some Gray to the mix to tone down the reddish hues so that it steered the color away from purple which can happen at times. If you use that brand I suggest experimenting on scraps of white fabric (muslin or an old t shirt) to get the color you want. You can also follow their mixing recipes on the RIT website to dial in really specific colors.

As for the added layers I found the heavy gauze to be adequate enough to not need much in the way of extra linings other than the sleeves and skirt (as the film used costume has). For the skirt and sleeves I used a satin or silk lining like they did for the real thing. One other thing I would suggest is adding shoulder pads to reinforce the shoulder tucks. It keeps the shape better and holds the tabards up nicer as well as helps keep the cloak from slipping off as easily. This was a detail that another member here was able to confirm to be part of the screen used Obi-Wan ROTS tunic and after considering it I suspect that it was part of most, if not all the standard Jedi tunics.

It's something I've used on all the ones I've made since I learned about it and it makes a world of difference in the look. I kept having problems no matter how much I reinforced the shoulder tucks. The second I added the tabard layers and cloak it just flattened the shoulders. But with the pads it helped them hold their shape much better.
MomentarilyEpic ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thats handy as rit dye is easy to get in the uk aswell
also im probably gonna line everything just so it looks a bit neater all together and thats good that the gauze doesnt need to be doubled up as it wont get hotter with the extra layers

with the shoulder pads, i think i get what you mean but i would love to see pictures just for a better understanding if thats ok
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScruffyScoudrel is a member here who has a friend who had access to the screen used ROTS Obi-Wan costume. He/ She posted a picture of the inside of the Tunic which showed shoulder pads. The link they posted is now broken but if you contact them he/ she may be able to send you the picture.
MomentarilyEpic ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give him a message
also thanks for all your other help with the inner tunic fabric
what dye to use,
the fact i dont need to double up my heavy cotton gauze
I really appreciate it

when ive finished my next mock up (my previous one was too big) ill probably start a W.I.P thread documenting my creation of the costume
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help!

I look forward to seeing your results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: