Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6ae1e93ba22bc1ea4fde1d1f1876c599Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Future elections: Providing details in local language
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rikh-Tar (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Future elections: Providing details in local language Reply with quote

Hello there,

after the elections are over, I feel that we need a little change for the future. At least for elections at base/outpost level.

Not all members of our German Base can read and understand the details for the election posted in our local forum by the member of the international command staff.

Quote:
Voting for Base Commanding Officer will commence at 12:01 a.m. on 28 September 2020 and run for 7 days concluding at 11:59 p.m. on 4 October 2020. Please choose your selection for XXX (XXX) / XXX (XXX) for the next year.

The only allowable posts in this thread are "voted" posts if you choose. All other posts and/or phrases will be deleted by the COG.

Good luck to all candidates.

Of course, there is google. But I think every member should be granted the opportunity to read about the details for this important democratic event in their own language.

Because every other comment than "voted" is prohibited (I think, any similar term in the local language should be allowed, too), no one is allowed to post a translation of the election details in that particular election thread.

Of course, the base command can provide a translation in another thread. But that's not the same.

So I suggest to do whatever is needed to make sure that the translation of the election details on base/outpost level (CO, detachments/units) can be provided.

This should include the proper time frame for the particular time zone of the base/outpost.

Ways to achieve this could be:

- One(!) appointed member of the base/outpost is permitted to post in the election thread the translation including the proper time frame soon after the election post is made.
- Every base/outpost that wishes to, provides a translation of the details (as posted above) to the legion command. And it's mandatory to use this translation for the international command member who does the election post, alongside with the English version. (We have almost one year to do this, and it should be no big deal.)
- Other ideas?

I think this would be very helpful for many members all over the world who struggle with the English language.

Edit: Of course this should also apply to local nomination- and Q&A threads.

Last edited by Rikh-Tar (Marcus) on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this suggestion! It is a small procedural change that could potentially have a big impact on equity. Perhaps we could create standard templates in multiple languages, so folks running elections don't need a translator available at the time of posting?

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Marvel Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
MissyThing ()
Kashyyyk Base CO
Kashyyyk Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea!
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. Smile My base already has English as it's main language, but I can see the value of having translations for those who are not well versed in the English language.

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

Jedijoe89 (Joe Booth)
Assistant Legion PR Officer
Assistant Legion PR Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know language barrier are still a big issue and I think this is a great discussion to have and hopefully we can come up with something down the line.

Joe Booth
Regional Captain Syracuse NY
BXO 2017-2018
BCO 2018-2019
Base Event Coordinator
KJO Blum Fruit member
501st Garrison Excelsior
501st IOC
strider (Tim Helbing)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a great idea, but we would need members fluent in those languages to step up and help. You don't want me relying on Google translate. 🙂

For the record, if anyone had messaged me and asked to post a translation I would have been more than happy to approve it. If I'm still COG next year I'll make sure that is included in the template going forward.
longshot7014 (William Holmes)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing we are putting together an announcement is a translation team. This is help with this process.

This is a good idea and should be heeded!

NavySith ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea

Cyclops ()
Suspended Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good idea borne from identifying a shortcoming in our procedural functionality, while on that subject the appalling turnout by voters in the LCO elections might improve if members globally knew it was on , if we actually bothered to send mass email notifications at the commencement of each phase of the cycle instead of relying on BCO’s to cross post information onto local forums , there was nothing at all from our base command on legion level elections this year and it relied on individual members to keep our base informed, a simple mass email can solve most of that dilemma and maybe get some less embarrassing participation results.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As regards the voter turnout: I think it's important here to not assume malice or negligence from our leadership without acknowledging the technical limitations that are in place at the moment, or the conditions in world outside this legion. Folks who are not as involved here on the forums may not be aware of this, but unfortunately our mass email function is decaying pretty rapidly. The charter committee also experienced this when sending out notifications about that voting, where emails never reached many members, were sent to spam, or reached them only after long delays. Additionally, all the clubs are seeing a decrease in global participation during the pandemic, so the RL is hardly unique on that front.

Fortunately, our new LAC have identified replacing the forums with modern, more technologically stable alternative as a top priority for this year. Hopefully by next year we'll have a forum and email system that is able to better serve our members.

DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Cyclops ()
Suspended Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That statement alone almost nullifies an election with something akin to a 10% participation level , archaic structure is hardly an excuse for not trying at least.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the charter has no quorum that must be met, a low turnout can hardly be seen as grounds for nullification.

DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Cyclops ()
Suspended Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking metaphorically as we’re all aware of the fact participation isn’t required to validate it by the charter , doesn’t make it any more palatable.
Thorn_Korrd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure the leadership of an organisation like the RL has a full plate of all kind of chores as is, but I am also sure the low numbers of votes cast on several occasions hasn't escaped their attention.

It is about time the RL investigates why so few of its members care to vote on important issues.
The language barrier might be one of various reasons and if we can take steps to get more members involved in the process of decision making, we should do so.
MissyThing ()
Kashyyyk Base CO
Kashyyyk Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are many competing priorities for members during the best of times and I think that we can all agree that this year has been an exceptional one for better or worse. Between dealing with the COVID pandemic, social unrest, and whatever personal challenges everyone is going through I would argue that our members deserve a little bit of grace.

Exploring strategies to increase member engagement in general is a great initiative that I would love to explore and support. It's up to each member to decide for themselves how much they want to be involved. You can't force participation, but we can make it as accessible as possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: