Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=536b82fda59aa1954b816484a7b26aedMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

MaraJade - Padme Purple Senate Gown - WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerxasJade ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: MaraJade - Padme Purple Senate Gown - WIP Reply with quote

So in amongst making several other Star Wars Costumes sometime last year I asked my partner to help me make a Purple Senate Gown.

Now obviously the burnt velvet is the main issue with this, so we did a lot of research and purchased a number of swatches including several that were recommended by the padme facebook group.

We ended up settling on a Purple Boutique Velvet Burnout seen below (the second picture):

A print of the actual pattern on cotton not velvet.

Burnout Purple Fabric

Like velvet does the colour changes depending on how you hang it.. it looks really purple in this photo but less when hung vertically.

Now I know it isn't technically the screen used fabric but the CRL doesn't actually say it has to be the exact screen used fabric, so I am really hoping this will be suitable.

The description in the CRL calls for flame or flame-like burnout velvet or other similar, velvet-like fabric. So based on the CRL I bit the bullet and purchased a not insignificant amount of it which hurt twice as much when I found it that it wasn't in AUD because of the exchange rate.

To the best of my knowledge the original fabric is not available at all anymore, so this is the closest I have been able to find that is currently available on market.

With the other costumes taking up most of my time its been sitting out in the craft room waiting.. Now the other costumes are pretty much finished its time to start getting on with Padme.

One of the reasons this has been sitting for so long is the bodice and undergarments for the bodice RE:Stays/Corset, there have been many discussions between me and my wife and quite a lot of time watching Bernadette Banner but we have decided to go with stays which is new territory for both of us so that's going to be an experience.

We plan on starting with a mockup of the stays out of old sheets so that we can get it right without wasting any decent fabric and working from there.

This is going to be a slow build I suspect but its probably my favorite outfit of all time so I am looking forward to doing it.

Bernadette Banner's Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHtaUm-FjUps090S7crO4Q

501st - Southern Dewback Garrison
ROTS Royal Guard & ANH Style Jawa

Rebel Legion - Ryloth Base
Jawa & Mara Jade Skywalker
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, that is an interesting fabric you've found! Yes, the original fabric is sold out in the only store known to have it and they have informed another member it won't come back.

I get a 'fire and water' feeling looking at your velvet, so I think you should be alright. (No promises though). It does look rather pink so depending on how it generally photograph you might want to overdye it more blue.

And I really look forward to seeing you do stays for this! I don't think I've seen anyone else going with that option for any of Padmé's costumes. (And while Bernadette is always lovely and snarky I'm not jumping down that rabbit hole right now). Wink

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything Lora said!^

No guarantees on the fabric but it does fit the criteria and has a similar vibe. And it could just be the lighting that causes the fabric to look so pinkish. But I’d check Smile

Super excited to watch this progress! ❤️
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
XerxasJade ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have had the same thought, about it being a little pink.

I have been meaning to get it outside on the mannequin to see what it looks like when it isn't laid out on the table under bright white LED's but we haven't had a suitable day recently to do it, now that its coming into summer ill hopefully get to that.

I have to admit dying is something that scares me no end as its just so far outside my normal wheelhouse but if it comes to that, its just another thing to work out and learn.

501st - Southern Dewback Garrison
ROTS Royal Guard & ANH Style Jawa

Rebel Legion - Ryloth Base
Jawa & Mara Jade Skywalker
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you on that dyeing fear; felt the exact same way before I started on the journey myself. XD The most important thing to know about dyeing is this: know your fiber content. You need to know that to figure out what kind of dye to use.
If you don't know the fiber content then you'll have to make swatch dyes with different dyes to see what takes and how. Smile

Luckily there are a few threads on the forum where people share their dyeing experiences, so you can take a peak at those and various youtube videos to learn about it.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: