Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=143f6e1ca0ec0239c64f3093186dad6eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep II padme Light Blue Tatooine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another WIP post. Smile My sis (Lutetia) and I worked in the weekend, and the costume is taking form!

I did tire somewhat of trim, but not too badly. Glad I got nine meters 'cause seven would have been too little. I've got exactly 53 cm left of the trim. Razz

Well, unto the pics. I finished the trim on the cape:

And then my sis did the 'f' pattern, while I started with the trim on the hood.

She did her best to get it as screen accurate as possible. Amadalia

This is the finished 'f' pattern:

The top is close to finished now. The back piece, front pieces, cape, and sleeves are all sewn together. I still need to do some basting/sewing before adding the hood, and sew the cape together behind her back.

The bottom of the cape with the sleeves hanging out:

After finishing the 'f' pattern my sis startet on the front skirt piece (which I've realized I haven't shared the pattern to. Yet).
First some guide lines for making the folds:

Then making the actual folds. We ended up using white china thread (don't know if that's the name in English. It's 'kinatråd' in Danish), because we don't believe ordinary thread will be strong enough for all the pull there will be on this piece.

And that was the update for this time. Smile In the weekend we will be at work again, and should get the costume done! Can't wait for it!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of china thread, but in the US I know that Hymark thread is much, much stronger- it's what we typically used for buttons back when I worked in the costume shop.

This is looking fabulous! Thanks for all the detailed build pictures- I did this years ago (nowhere near this good), and I'm looking to redo it, and I will definitely be heavily referencing this thread. Awesome work!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Princess Sandy ()
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful progress, thanks so much for sharing this with everyone!
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to both of you for the kind words! Mr. Green I think maybe 'kinatråd' and Hyman thread may be the same thing or something alike.

This will be the final update as we finished the costume this weekend! Our plans was skewed a bit due to unforseen circumstances, but we made it none the less.
So, to the pics.

First the last pattern I forgot to take a pic of and share. It's basically just a big square for the front skirt piece.

I took a couple of pics of the top/cape detail before the hood was added. The first is of 'the turn' from shoulder to armhole seam the cape takes, and the second is the three front piece layers sewn together before sewing the hood to them.

Unto the hood. It's too big to get it all properly in one big pic, so I focused on the details instead.
The double layered hood with trim on the edges:

And the squared tip with beads:

I hand sewed the hood to the top, so no stitches would show on the right side:

Then I sewed the two hood wrap edges together (the one hood wrap edge and wrap piece had already been sewn), also by hand. This time doing it in a way that would make the trim less visible:

A close up of the beads on the hood:

(Ignore the extra black bead that seems to have snuck in). Rolling Eyes

And close up of the skirt beads:

They ended up lying closer than supposed. Our fabric was slightly thinner than our mock up fabric, so our attempt at counting folds failed slightly. My advice for others will be: do a fold test with the actual fabric, and then count folds per transparent bead. The transparent beads are 8 mm, so count the number of (tightly folded) folds you need to have to have 8 mm worth of folded fabric and then multiply with the number of bead rows. (11). This should give you the correct width.

The full skirt and shoes:

It ended up working out pretty well, even with less width in the folded area. (Which unfolded is almost a meter wide). There's a zipper on the back of the skirt (hidden by the cape), so she can get in and out of the skirt without ripping it apart at the seams.

And finally the pics of the finished costume.
Front:

Back:

A detail shot of the cape and beads:

And finally the first attempt at the hairdo:

We couldn't find any good pics of it, but we think we figured it more or less out. The headpiece should hopefully arrive soon and then we'll take approval pics. Mr. Green

Princess Sandy ()
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The costume looks fantastic!!!!!!! Great work on this! Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!! It looks great. Mr. Green

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy The headpiece should be in the mail now, so it should arrive friday or saturday.

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!! I know how excited and proud you must be feeling. Great job!!!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just waiting for her to get approved. Very Happy Hope it happens soon, I know it's always hard not to be a bit anxious when it's your first costume.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My obsession with this gown continues! Currently making three (three!!) one for myself and two for lovely legion ladies Smile I was incredibly lucky to have finally been able to purchase the roll of pale blue crepe knit from my local fabric store. they've had it in so many different colours and then it went from $15/m to $9/m and woohoo! It just never seemed to end so when I realised I could hoard this or share I decided to share. I am going to see if the fabric is left in any other stores as they like me and they managed to find just enough Maleficent fabric for me to redo my gown Smile
#padme #tatooine dress, this fabric is i think a perfect match. I need more piping but i have at least got enought for the cape Smile by pinkdiamond, on Flickr
I wasn't going to get going until I found the beads (and thank goodness Spotlight stocks them again! So I can get beads (8mm diameter flat glass 3mm thick. I think about $NZ7 per 50, but I would need to check. If there is enough interest I can go to all my stores and grab some Smile

This fabric is a little tricky to work with as it's so soft, but it means the piping is easy to push out to be seen. Ans the drape is lovely:
And this is how it drapes Smile #padme #tatooine dress. by pinkdiamond, on Flickr

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/historic-costumes/historic-inspired/elissathink-of-mehannibal-balletdressing-gown-phantom-of-the-opera/
And this is the wig I'm using Smile It's from WigFashion on ebay and is a lacefront. I have since figured out how to wear my hair under them to get the hairline further forward Smile
They sell these as 26" "spiral curly" wigs with a ace front. I have several of their normal curly and wavy styles and they are more able to be easily brushed Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no more of the piping left so I picked up some white and dyed it (yay, it worked! For reference I used 3 droppers of FW black acrylic ink in about 2L or gallons of water, I soaked the piping first and squeezed excess liquid out before drying.)
I also picked up an exact match of plain bias tape to make enough to match the already sewn piping Smile So, I'm going to pin tonight and hopefully get all the hoods and cloaks out of the way Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. Smile I'll need to send that wig info to my sis as she wants a new and better wig.

Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reworking on mine !
Trying to do the headpiece....
Rowane ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wahou It's wonderfull. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: