Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=960780502f16e6f7c5e61c775d942313Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep II padme Light Blue Tatooine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't updated, had a lot of stuff happen and some of it has had a direct bearing on participating as a member.

I also had a shock loss of my kitty companion of almost exactly 13 years- I had a day do say good bye. So getting back to sewing is emotionally draining.

But I am getting back.

I also tested some Smooth-on flexible urethane for my headpiece and was very disappointed-it's very brittle, urethane tends to be which is why I don't use rigid formulas either. I have used BJB urethane and had a lot more success, so I may have to try and get a small amount through a company reasonably close to me. I may also have to just see if I can.
But there is supposed to be one more SO option that is already here so I may just have to bite the bullet Smile

I did also find a stash more beads, the right size and shape at 8mm across and very clear. I have to see how many I have but they are about $US15 for 150 so

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your cat, but I am glad that you are getting back at this. I find sewing can be soothing.

I look forward to seeing your progress again.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement Smile It looks like we are getting an electrician to have a look at my studio to see if we can get it wired back up, otherwise I'll be a bit hampered by the weather Smile But it's becoming a bit more manageable Smile

I managed to not so much start sewing but move all my projects into easily accessible storage. Which means I can indeed start working again Smile There are better shelves and arrangement of my room now Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My studio was tested and it's safe to have the electricity on Smile

So I found the last of the fabric and just managed to cut three skirts double layered. Also just managed sleeves that go to the fingers to be able to be ruched a little at the wrists.

This fabric, I mean it's just so beautiful

So I have three of these, two will go on the sale board- I still have some impressions from my paint swirls so can resize them to be slightly smaller Smile
There are two skirts that are too long for me one that just skims the ground so will need a facing for my height.

Right now though that form has collapsed under the weight due to it being 1" too short to be really stable and so a second lever will be going under it. I may have to get creative as it really ought to be able to get to the height of someone 5'7" in flats. It really should.

I may want to remake that undershirt- it's a mechanical stretch cotton to help control the super soft and loose knit. Being cotton though it's quite crisp so the darts can be a bit aggressive!

Peytonriley ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Thanks to all the tips in this thread I was able to make my gown in a week before leaving for a trip, and I also managed to get it approved so this is my formal costume! The color looks much more saturated there than it is in real life but anyway, here are some photos!

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great, nicely done!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such great progress, Neimhaille! And I love the fabric, it looks so nice. Very Happy Some day I'll make this for myself (got all the fabric), but I need to finish some other projects first. Wink

BUT! I have found some fabric for making the cloak. It's not 100 % correct, but it's close, which means I'll be making that version with the balaclava. (I'll still need the headpiece though so I can do both cloak and no cloak version).

Great costume, Peytonriley. Very Happy But I hope you will not trip in your long skirts. Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Red5mom (Devon Meyers)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finally getting on with this project. Sourcing and preparing materials is always the hardest part, in my opinion. Your help has been immeasurable.

I have a question on the photo with the patterns laid out on fabric. What are the two rectangles and the long piece at the edge? Are they the skirt? Can I have dimensions for those please? And if you already gave me that information in a previous message, I apologize.

I made a pattern piece for the back of the skirt, cape and hood based on your photos. I also made the patterns and cut out top, sleeves and first wraps. I finally found some beads. Still looking for silver cording. I might just make it myself with satin ribbon and cord

Finally, what is the dimension of the large square for the pleats?
Im sure I will be contacting you again soon....lol
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rectangles are definitely part of the skirt. Smile I had two small front-side pieces and the large front piece. It was about one meter wide, but it will depend on the thickness of your fabric. When done in cartridge pleats at the top at should be about 10-11 cm wide (4 inches). I think we made it about 25-30 cm long. The fabric just falls down and opens from there in natural large folds.
The long rectangles should be measured from side seam to seam minus the 10-11 cm and divided in two to get the correct width. So it depends on hip size. The easiest would be to find all the measurements around the hips for all parts at the same time.

Good luck with it and post some pictures. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I'm not doing this now, but Jenna got me to buy this fabric, and I just did a color test after buying some new fiber reactive colors... so yeah. It will get done at some point, but flame gown takes priority.

The fabric:

First test dyes:

Mist Gray: (drying)

Note that this turned out lightly purple on the silks, but not on the rayon fibers. I used the dyeing method for rayon fibers.

Safari Gray:

I also did some fiber etch testing with my sis as I think the pattern in the fabric is a bit dense and thus I'm planning to do additional burnout.

How it looks after ironing:

The fibers washed right off when I turned on the tap and put them under. Smile Will need to practive a bit more as the burn was better in some places than others.

And the Mist Gray after drying:

I love the silvery color it ended up being and it's very fortunate that the backing isn't silk. Next up is making another dye sample I can take with me when I go look for the blue fabric to have in the middle of the cloak. But that is not right now. Just wanted to share this. Very Happy

Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job !
I am trying to re do mine.
Any tips for The headpiece ?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That silver turned out really lovely Lora! I need to go back to that shop and see if there is any more.

For the headdress, I would probably try using something worbla with foam in the middle, so you can cut it and shape it to your head using heat, and then paint it silver. (Something like this.)

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jenna. Smile And yes, please. My sister is eyeing my fabric for herself, so I need more of it. (!)

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a base pattern they have used for this costume? I think it's next on my list of costumes and I want to physically make it myself (with help, of course!) so any help would be appreciated!

In progress/planning: Bespin Escape Leia, Hoth Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ewok78 (Mange Caroline)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Does anyone have a base pattern they have used for this costume? I think it's next on my list of costumes and I want to physically make it myself (with help, of course!) so any help would be appreciated!

I used his topic
http://padawansguide.com/cape_makingof.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: