Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=56d534cc45e6fd708f83e27fe7f338f0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia hair buns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaxxa wrote:
It works on the same principle as the sock, but has a little hook at each end to securely lock in place. I've seen them at several discount stores and the Claire's/Icing type stores in the mall usually carry them.

Twist clip
I've tried those, and for me.....they don't work so well. They don't make the buns very big (unless you wrap extra hair extensions around them), and the plastic pokes your ear. That's why I'm going to try the sock method. I hate having something poking me in my ear all day while I'm at an event Mad ...drives me nuts...
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something that looks like a mesh "donut" which you put over your pony tail and then spread the hair around it to cover it. You get the same look of this socket technique but with a cleaner look. Still, it's not big enough and not exactly the same style of the leia buns.
Princess Cryvo (Crystal von Oy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Leia Hair trouble. Reply with quote

Hello all -
I am working on a Leia Senatorial costume, and I am having trouble with the hair. My hair is too fine to do the buns, so I have to go the wig route. I found a wig and am in the process of restyling it, but every time I get it in to a bun, it looks braided even though it isn't. I have the "doughnut" tool from Sally Beauty Supply, and am trying to wrap around it, but to no avail. I'd post some pictures, but I don't know how yet. Hoping anyone can offer some advice.
Thanks! Leia Buns
Jaxxa ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH Leia in progress. I picked up the Tidy Twist wig and the buns looked more like antennae, so I took them out and restyled it. Here is my first attempt : Link

I'm thinking maybe they need to be flattened out a little? I think they look good from the sides, but I'm not sure about the shape from the front.
padme9055 (Tabitha McCurdy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right bun looks pretty good, but the left bun needs to be raised a bit and maybe flattened a bit Smile . But otherwise it looks pretty good Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just flattened a bit :)They look like they are one full length which will make it easier. If you just unpin the outside ring, push the inner ring and pin that flat then lay the outer ring to just touch it you'll wind up with a taller and flatter bun Smile

Do you have a head form to work on? I find it easier as I will use large florist/quilters pins to hold things in place before pinning. I also sew things like buns in place so they really stay in place Smile

The wig is a really nice colour Smile
Jaxxa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been pinning it together on a styrofoam head. Very helpful. I redid them and flattened them down, looks much better. Downside is that the wig's part isn't quite straight, it curves off too far to one side when I put it on my head. Hopefully it's not all that noticeable.
Otter (Andrea C.)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hair is too long and my head is too big to rock a wig anymore. Sad I've tried the hair extensions, which are great, but I can't get them to last longer than a couple of troops. They get crazy tangled and messy since they aren't actually bonded; they're loose extensions.

Any suggestions?
Jaxxa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my hair were a stable enough color, I'd be tempted to try pinning together individual buns that could be clipped over your own pony tails.
SpaceBuns (Sonya Hall)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of drawstring ponytails with a comb attached to them. I have a bit of the same problem of the middle being a bit big, but what I do is first make sure my own hair is braided and coiled as tightly as possible, then tighten the drawstring as much as I can. Then I take a rubber band (the metal-free kind from Goody) and pop it over the bun to help keep the hair as low-profile as I can, then continue to wind the rest of the hair around. Doesn't look too bad, IMHO.

Anaria Zar-Rel (Kristy Glasgow)
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaxxa wrote:
If my hair were a stable enough color, I'd be tempted to try pinning together individual buns that could be clipped over your own pony tails.

That's what I do. For my animated Leia costume, I made my hair buns from two really long wigs, colour matched to my own hair. I cut the lower 1/3rd from the inside of the wigs, to decrease the bulk of the hair (but not the length). With the help of my husband, we twisted the hair into the bun shape, then covered the back in mesh and hot glue to fix it all in shape, with a hair comb in the middle. I pull my hair into a pigtail on each side. The hairpiece is then held in place by sliding the comb into the top of my pigtail, and pinned in place.

It's a bit heavy, but it saves me the time trying to get them looking right each time.

Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to spam the thread but I just thought of it when I read this comicstrip some days ago. *giggle*

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha! Love the comicstrip Daritha.

Well, I finally did a Leia to use it for the Build a Bear event.

The buns "almost" look perfect, if it weren't for the center, which is not quite perfectly in place.

I used 4 hair extensions, two on each side to get the correct fullness proportion of the twists, when I used just one they were too thin.

It was a lot easier than I expected. Took me less than an hour. I had to practice 'though. Many of our event demand that we change into costume inside the building the event is being held (mostly stores)

I like the idea of those "ready-made-buns". I may try that.

...and yes, my buns are heavy too.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anaria Zar-Rel wrote:
Jaxxa wrote:

That's what I do. For my animated Leia costume, I made my hair buns from two really long wigs, colour matched to my own hair. I cut the lower 1/3rd from the inside of the wigs, to decrease the bulk of the hair (but not the length). With the help of my husband, we twisted the hair into the bun shape, then covered the back in mesh and hot glue to fix it all in shape, with a hair comb in the middle. I pull my hair into a pigtail on each side. The hairpiece is then held in place by sliding the comb into the top of my pigtail, and pinned in place.

It's a bit heavy, but it saves me the time trying to get them looking right each time.

This is a lot like how I do mine. I hate having to twist the hair perfectly every time, so now I don't have to.
padme9055 (Tabitha McCurdy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blessed with long thick hair, very similar to Leia's (except blonde), so my sister will be in charge of turning my locks into beautiful buns. And if needed, I can probably do it myself. I haven't tested them yet, but since I'm gearing up to get the Senatorial costume done in the next few weeks, I'll have to have her test them on me.

Are there any tips for keeping these buns in that you have found to be helpful? I know the hair net tip and I'm going to get some soon. Are there any other tips?

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: