Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6a09a6b90e345aa9437f33ce6b9d7e4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia hair buns
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is true and very nice from a styling point. It sure ain't Sailor Moon pigtails!
Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile The wig I am doing will be the more loose style as seen in the movie, and not the really tight hair from the promo pics. The buns appear smaller and tighter in the promo pics. I like the bigger, looser buns from the movie, especially in the second half of the movie after Luke rescues Leia from the cell. I will definitely wear a brown wig cap.
I have the dress and the boots so far, and the blonde ponytail extensions. Still waiting on the brown wig to come in. My belt is cut out and dyed white with white leather dye/paint. Getting aluminum today to start working on the metal pieces, but the paper templates are already cut out Very Happy .
Still waiting on my blaster to come in as well, and then I will be attempting to modify it to be the long barrel DCC Defender Blaster, with the help of a legion member Cool .
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaclynGFC wrote:
Depending on the wig you got, you'll probably want to add some hair to it in the back where you part it for the buns. Most wigs don't have a huge amount of hair in the wefts in the back. If you can get sewn wefts that match, it's fairly easy to add more hair to a wig, but getting a nice looking part can be a bit tricky. The one thing about anime costumers is they often have to deal with crazy wigs, so you can find a lot of good information about wigs from them. Wink

True, I think I've even read where they sew long wefts of hair inside the wig (not outside) along the part line. You then pull the hair through with a hook so that the part down the center has the wefts hidden OK.

And if need be, add a row of wefts under the bottom edge neckline of the wig and pull them around and up. It could depend on the wig. My Jeannie Wig which I pin up didn't need any wefts added at the neck line. I make sure I style it loosely enough down at the neck so as not to reveal the edge of the wig itself, if that makes sense.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
66jedi (Frankie)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally figured out how to best do this for my hair!

http://img713.imageshack.us/i/leiahairbuns.jpg

I took two clip in ponytail extensions and attached them to my pigtails and then separated them into three parts... I wrapped each one individually and then pinned and hairsprayed the crap out of it

This is basically the ponytail I used, but I used the Conair version at Walgreens.

http://www.ultimatelooks.com/jonrenauwigs/rampagejr.htm
Ren (Renda Carr)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sola wrote:
For doing the Leia buns using ponytail hairpieces with your own buns/ponytails, I have to thank princess_lesa for letting me know about these clips - they hold everything!

http://sistersola.com/May-24-09-001.jpg

And for helping keep full wigs from sliding, I hairspray my own hair at the hairline above my forehead just before putting the wig on, as well as putting anchoring clips in around the sides and back through the wig cap mesh, where the fullness of the wig will hide them:

http://sistersola.com/May-24-09-002.jpg
http://sistersola.com/May-24-09-003.jpg

I love these, they hold the buns snug and it doesn't feel like the wind is going to pull the hair down.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: