Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2392bf17409985fbbddcfc894c121467Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Does anyone know what these helmet symbols mean?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know what these helmet symbols mean? Reply with quote

I've been trying to google it, but not very successfully. I'm curious to see if anyone out there might have some information on what the Rogue One and ROTJ Donut-Helmet symbols mean. The R1 version looks kind of like an "L" and a backwards "P" in aurebesh; the Endor version escapes me completely.

[img]
upload[/img]

[img]
upload[/img]
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen mention of the graphics on the Endor helmet being referred to as a "Command graphic", indicating that the individual wearing it may be some sort of Officer.
I don't know if that is correct or not. It certainly doesn't have any bearing on costume approval to have that graphic on your helmet.

David L.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it labeled "commando graphic" so maybe it's a typo? I know it doesn't bear on costume approval, I just like knowing things. Lol

I don't think it's tied to command positions; I was under the impression that all the Endor commandos bore the symbol on their helmets.

I thought it might be a unit identifier, and perhaps some combination of letters and/or numbers.
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PageCdo wrote:
I've seen it labeled "commando graphic" so maybe it's a typo? I know it doesn't bear on costume approval, I just like knowing things. Lol

I don't think it's tied to command positions; I was under the impression that all the Endor commandos bore the symbol on their helmets.

I thought it might be a unit identifier, and perhaps some combination of letters and/or numbers.

Perhaps it is "commando graphic" and wherever I saw that at left the "o" off.

The majority of the Endor troopers did not have that graphic on their Donut helmets.
There are some behind the scenes photos of the Endor Trooper actors with Mark Hamill, and Darth Vader on the Death Star set (or the bunker interior set?), and from what is visible, several of them don't have the graphic.

Actor Trevor Butterfield (AKA Lieutenant Blount) has no graphic on his helmet either.

He is also seen in the Falcon cockpit with Lando and Nien Numb.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Good spot. And of course, there are like a million different reasons why that might be. Could be it really does have something to do with command or leadership. Could also be chalked up to individual tastes or even a special operations unit using "sterile" equipment.

Curse you, McQuarrie, for adding so much awesome detail without background stories! Lol
Blue Squadron Leader (Sean)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the R1 symbol was used by the Pathfinders.
PageCdo (Tom McCormick)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one only appears on the Pathfinders/Commandos/Marines/SpecForce troopers- the R1 and Endor commandos are, apparently, all the same unit, just in different time frames and with the natural revolving door of personnel; on Wookieepedia, they all hyperlink to each other (lol). For the purpose of this thread, I was just curious to see if the symbols represented something or were maybe a stylized letter or something interesting. Minutiae fascinates me.

It occurred to me the other night that with the pilot helmets, the studio didn't put decals on all of them, either- opting to only apply paint and decals/detailed pieces on a select few 'hero' helmets- ones worb by characters more likely to have close up face shots. Maybe the same was also done here, which provides yet another potential explanation of why some endor commandos have the decal and some don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: