Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7f2f8a3e49c34ce1e73a2e5ba086d373Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bespin Leia - My long term project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard for me to tell since all the photos are being taken with light behind it to make it appear sheer. I would prefer to see a photo of it taken with flash indoors, without being back lit to really see how sheer it is. (many thin fabrics can look sheer when taken as a back lit photo).

For example, I have a friend with a Leia Ceremonial gown. If she takes photos out in sunlight being back lit the fabric will look a little sheer-ish. But indoors it is not so sheer.

I'm not really an expert on this costume though, it is one that I have not yet really studied. So I'd need more time to study it and determine just how critical it is for the fabric to be sheer (this is the outer fabric, correct? You are speaking of embroidering it?)

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I looked at photos of the real deal. It looks like a crinkled silk georgette (or polyester) that's been ironed out. I suspect the sheerness of your current fabric is OK for the outer layer standards wise, but you may want to see if it drapes like a georgette if you are particular about how the fabric flows and drapes. (nothing too stiff).

I'd just hate to see you spend months embroidering this, and find the fabric is stiffer than you'd ideally like it to be.

If you want to go with your current fabric rather than a georgette, it might need to be overdyed a bit darker. Your fabric almost looks too white, I worry it is going to read white in many photos which could potentially cause a problem. I feel like the color of the real costume reads more of a pale ecru.

However, perhaps before dying it, see what it looks like when you put the sheer burgundy chiffon lining inside of it. If the outer fabric is sheer enough, it will pick up some of the darkness of the sheer burgundy chiffon lining (as the real costume does) to give it more of an off-white look.

That's my off-hand advise.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good points and speak to all my worries. The fabric itself isn't stiff by any means and does drape a lot like georgette (which I as well suspect the original was made or even a crinkled silk chiffon)

first the fabric laying on different colored stuff

fabric draped over blue thingy

after seeing the fabric photographed under different light and under flash I'm leaning more and more to getting something which more closely matches a crinkled georgette or chiffon.

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment Leader 2011/2012
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
padme9055 (Tabitha McCurdy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fabric is really pretty, but yeah, if you aren't really happy with it, I'd say go find something you love. Even if it puts the dress back for another month or two, I wouldn't start on it till you have a fabric you love Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme9055 wrote:
That fabric is really pretty, but yeah, if you aren't really happy with it, I'd say go find something you love. Even if it puts the dress back for another month or two, I wouldn't start on it till you have a fabric you love Smile .

that's pretty much where I'm at at this moment. on the up side I have most of the embroider floss already...... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just worry for all the work you'll put into it, why not get a crinkled georgette? There are plenty of poly and silk ones out there. Not the thin chiffon though, that will be too thin (that's what you do use for the lining though, normal thin chiffon). Georgettes are similar to chiffon, but much heavier. They stand up to the embroidery too if they are heavy enough. I can't remember if my Leia ceremonial was called double georgette, it was so long ago. But something along that sheerness/drape/weight is best Smile

You are very brave to take this on! I have always said it is too much work for me. Smile

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hand stitching is what I'm good at Very Happy one of those skills you pick up when you do Renaissance costuming for years, this just happens to be really big, not really a turn off for me Wink ok, looks like I'll be fabric shopping YAY! (seriously, love fabric shopping Mr. Green )

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgette does take embroidery well. I embroidered my ROTS Padme aqua georgette gown. http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/padme-aqua-georgette-gown-update.html

I recommend using an embroidery hoop, one that isn't too large. That way, your fabric won't pucker and "shrink" as you embroider. If you use a stabilizer, make sure it'll all wash away when you're done.
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bespin Leia is an awesome costume! Good Luck on this project! Yoda

Former: LCO | LCJ | KJO DXO | WH DXO | PRBase CO
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife ( LeiaYT1300) has done a ton of research for this costume... however does not check the boards much these days. You may want to send her a PM and I am sure she could answer any question you might have. She spent 9 months doing the embroidery... and I do believe it was on a silk georgette.

Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! Solo I'll send her a PM, mostly I need to quiz those that have done this about the colors they chose to use.

Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:
Georgette does take embroidery well. I embroidered my ROTS Padme aqua georgette gown. http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2009/03/padme-aqua-georgette-gown-update.html

I recommend using an embroidery hoop, one that isn't too large. That way, your fabric won't pucker and "shrink" as you embroider. If you use a stabilizer, make sure it'll all wash away when you're done.

Yes, I know from doing two padme gowns with embroidery a hoop is a must.

And even with using a hoop, I would not cut out your pattenn pieces until after it is all embroidered, becuase you will likely still get a little shrinking. What I did for example, with my Padme sleeves is traced the sleeve pattern shape on with chalk on the back side, then tread traced it. That way I knew where on the sleeve to position the embroidery, but I didn't cut out the final sleeve until it was all embroidered, since the act of embroidering the fabric changes it a tad (and well, with sleeves it was easier to put an uncut piece of fabric in the large hoop I was using to keep it stable).

I've just heard for example, of people embroidering the picnic skirt which is also a crinkled chiffon/georgette and getting a lot of shrinkage and they were very sad they had cut the panels before embroidering, not after.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this I know about, if you ever do embroidery on a piece of fabric the shrinkage can be different between your threads and the fabric, ideally you'd want to preshrink everything, just a bit of advice for anyone else going to try their hands at embroidering something for the first time. Having your item washed and pressed after you're finished with the embroidery can help tons too, also starching (depending on your fabric of choice, you shouldn't starch silks) and pressing can help with the final outcome. Ok, enough with the embroidery advice Mr. Green (I just hopes that helps anyone else with their embroidery projects in the future)

Within the next month I'll be going fabric shopping, I've found what I think could be the ideal fabric on Hancock fabric's online, a polyester ivory georgette, so I"m going to make a trip to the nearest store (about an hours drive from here) to get my hands on it and see if I'd be happy with it. I've also found what could be the perfect color fabric at Joann's. They call it a costume chiffon, it's 100% polyester (yuck, but oh well if the color matches I'll be happy) I just need to get down to the store to see if the color on my monitor matches enough. Pic below for color

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyester might be "yuk", but there's a good chance that polyester was used quite a bit because it's a 70's early 80's "fabric of choice"! Laughing
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polyester and nylon, at least the polyesters now are MUCH better than they used to be.

Update:

not much of one since I still have to go fabric shopping, but I got my weekly email from Joann's and it reminded me that Monday is a holiday, so they are having a BIG sale Mr. Green so Monday is fabric shopping day, yay! I've got 2 costumes in the pipeline, this one and a soft one for 501st which will be completed by May (for obvious, large, time consuming, embroidery issues Laughing )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: