Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b7476f99c7cba7e802fc6beb6a5ad1aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Fleet Trooper Weapons/Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf 825 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Rebel Fleet Trooper Weapons/Gear Reply with quote

I've been working on an RFT costume for a few months, and am almost done. So far, I've tried to stick to the Legion standards (I'm not a member, but would eventually like to join), but have a few questions as I head into the final stages of my project.
I'm curious as to what degree a 'formal' costume can be modified/personalised. For safety's sake, I went ahead and got the plans/parts for a DIY '17, but I had drawn up a few ideas for an... er... modified E-11. I'm definitely going to do the '17 first, but I am probably going to wind up using the leftover/spare parts for my E-11 ideas.
So, if/when I finish with the E-11 project (I'm thinking something of a Carbine-ish-type weapon with a longer barrel, bigger scope and a fold-out bipod. Kinda like an ultra-portable mini sniper weapon. If that makes any sense.), would I be able to include it as part of my 'formal' gear? I know that we never, ever anything of the sort on screen, but:
-We do see Rebel Troopers with helmet variants, indicating either personal customisation (by the troopers) or, ah, hate to say it- mistakes by the designers. Whatever. The point is, not all of the on-screen RFT's gear matches.
-We see a Rebel soldier with an E-11, indicating that the Alliance would pirate Imperial gear. (As if the plot of the movie wasn't indication enough!)
-When you consider the milieu, it makes perfect sense for soldiers to customise their weapons, especially in the borderline-ragtag Alliance.
So, I think one could make a case for reasonably customised weapons. I'm just wondering what the Legion’s view is on all this.
Also, could I add a strap to my '17 in lieu of a holster?
Thanks for your input!
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your formal application, especially for your first costume, you should stick to the CRL, and as close to the standard RFT as seen in the opening of ANH. While there are some variants seen, there is a standard look for them, and that is the preferred look of them.

For informal troops (most local events), modified blasters and BFGs are not uncommon. But it is in your best interest to be able to have a stock, standard issue DH-17, and everything else per the CRL. You never know when a cool formal event might come up.

Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As I said, I am definitly going to do the '17 first. Still, I should like to follow through with my E-11 ideas at some point.
Also, do I need the holster to be up to standard?

Last edited by Wolf 825 () on Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Costume Standards (you can tell who's also a 501st member when they use the term CRL Wink ), you don't need a holster for formal acceptance. But it's a nice thing to have, so that you don't need to carry your blaster in your hands all the time.

Here's my rig I made a few years ago:

I also like the idea of a different type of weapon to carry. Check out what I made a couple years ago. It's a lot of fun to use at informal events:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20422

I use my formal rig too. More than one weapon is nice.
Smile
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, homey wears a lot of hats. Razz And lots of costumes over the course of a convention.

CRL/Costume standard, it's all the same, by a different name: a checklist to go through in order to get approved.

Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bundle! I've been working on the '17- I have the scope constructed, primed and ready-to-paint, and I have all the other pieces measured and ready for cutting. Wish me luck!
Also, really nice job on the custom blaster, Lori. I like it!

Last edited by Wolf 825 () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question- what is the recommended material for the ribbing on the sides of the DH-17 blaster?
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to check out cocktail straws
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started building one from PVC, wood dowels and other hardware, using a well known tutorial. I did get part of the barrel finished before I found the slightly down scaled Nerf gun back in '07.

For my ribs, I used pre-cut styrene strips that I got at a hobby store (model train shops should have it too) that are 1/4" wide and 1/16" thick. With a good quality super glue (I used Zap-a-gap) those things are on the PVC barrel solidly, they aren't going anywhere.

I'd caution you about using something soft, like cocktail straws or wooden craft sticks, especially if you're going to be taking it in and out of a holster.

If you can't find styrene strips pre-cut, it would be easy to make your own from a sheet of styrene (use a steel ruler and a hobby knife, just score a line with your knife and snap off the piece). Being a bit of a prop builder, I always have small sheets of different thickness in one of my "parts" drawers for scratch building things.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some hard plastic chopsticks that I think will do okay- I could be wrong, though. They are quite long and go 6" without tapering at all; perfect for cutting into the 4.5" you need for the ribbing.
However, they are .25" x .25" square. I know I will need to trim it a bit. Will that be a problem? Where could I find a good alternative?
-As to the tip of the barrel, is there any consensus as to how that should be done? (I've seen multiple varieties.)
-What should I use for the bracket-thing to the rear, just ahead of the endcap?
-Any tips for doing a plywood stock? (My only option.)
-I tried to find a .75" drive strap for the trigger, but the best I could get was a .50". Will that be okay?

Thanks, I know that was a ton of questions, but this is my first time, and...
Oh, well.
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the barrel tip (muzzle), you have a couple options: traffic baton tip (those things that parking assistants wave around at events), table leg, machined aluminum, cast resin, or custom-fabricate one from styrene/PVC. Personally, I'd try and go with the table leg cut down, since it's usually the least expensive and the most worry-free.

For the bracket in front of the endcap, if you're going with the 1.5" diametre pipe, use a #4 "EMT"-type Conduit hangar. Anything larger or smaller in diametre, scale accordingly (1.25" pipe uses the #3 conduit hangar).

Not sure on the trigger. Are you referring to the actual trigger? Or the trigger guard?

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KA-513:
Wow, thanks for the "traffic batton" tip! I´m working on my DH-17 for a while now, and that´s worth a not too expensive try!

My construction follows different tutorials, I´m only working with homedepot materials.
If someone is interested I can post some pics here...
Jedi Knight
Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KA-513 wrote:
For the barrel tip (muzzle), you have a couple options: traffic baton tip (those things that parking assistants wave around at events), table leg, machined aluminum, cast resin, or custom-fabricate one from styrene/PVC. Personally, I'd try and go with the table leg cut down, since it's usually the least expensive and the most worry-free.

For the bracket in front of the endcap, if you're going with the 1.5" diametre pipe, use a #4 "EMT"-type Conduit hangar. Anything larger or smaller in diametre, scale accordingly (1.25" pipe uses the #3 conduit hangar).

Not sure on the trigger. Are you referring to the actual trigger? Or the trigger guard?

-I'm using a tabel leg (Lowes, same as the one Obey used) for the muzzle. My question is, can I put, say, washers around the muzzle tip for a neater appearence?
-Thanks for the tip. I had a bit of trouble finding this part.
-Yeah, the actual trigger. I have the guard mostly figured out.
As per, I tried to find a drive strap for the trigger, but I could only get a .50", not the recommended .75". Will that be okay?

Most urgently, I need to know exactly what to use for the ribbing (around the barrel- You know what I mean). Where can I get... whatever it is?

Thanks for the help.
(Also, how do I post images?)
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I used:

1mm x 4mm Evergreen styrene strip stock.
040 x .156 1,0 x 4,0 P/N 147 10strips / $2.99

Plastruct Plastic-Weld
PLASTIC WELD SOLVENT CEMENT
2 oz (59 ml.) Bottle. CODE: PPC-2

As for the trigger guard, use whatever width that matches your grip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: