Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=89c08bcd51c48c97fcff19827098e77fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Fleet Trooper Weapons/Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf 825 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: I found the material for the barrel ribbing- Specialty craft sticks from Hancock. The dimentions were near-perfect; I just have to cut the sticks from 6" down to 4.5".
I had to put the project on hold for a week or two (summer missions trip), but I'm dialing it back up and prepping to start the cutting and assebmly of the main barrel and the stock.
One quick question: what should I use for the pieces at the front and back of the scope rail? Is that just a 'whatever floats your boat' thing, or are there some standard parts I need to buy?
Thanks again for all the help!
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a Hasbro DH-17, here is your chance.

It's an auction from a guy on the Imperial Officer's forum.

Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but no thanks. After all the money I paid for parts for the scratch-build, I don't feel like paying another $45+ for another gun. At least, not just yet.
Talking of which, I'm pretty sure I've been working off your plans. Thanks for making them- I'd be in a fix otherwise.
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of service! Smile

Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run in to a bit of a snag. Could someone send a picture of the material used for the sight rail? What I have now seems to be too small. Also, what is the part that caps the front end of the sight rail?

One last thing. Could someone send me a link to an in-depth tutorial for the DH-17 blaster build? I know a lot of my questions cover items that I could just 'improvise' on, but due to, er, budgeting problems, I only have one shot at this, so I want this to be the best I can get it.

Last edited by Wolf 825 () on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this:

http://www.tk560.com/blaster2.html

It should be a big help...

At some point I want to post that tutoral at the Tantive Yahoo Group.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. While that answered a few of the questions that I had, I still have a few kinks to work out. A bit of an update:
-I have the tapering nozzle assembled and ready to go.
-The scope is done, mounts and all, or was, at least. A little 'invader' got a hold of it as I was applying the final coat of paint, and now I have had to sand and re-prime.
-I have the barrel marked for the sight rail, well and ejector port. I hope to start cutting today, perhaps. One of the problems with this project has been my very weird schedule.
-I'm also ready to cut out the grip. The whole thing will be plywood, so between careful cutting, assembly, sanding, more sanding and mounting, that may take a while-ish. Depends how much time I have free this next week.
-I found the proper U-channel, as per TK's plans.
-I finally got the end cap figured.

So much for the quasi-good news.
-I need to find a better conduit hanger for the rear.
-I need a way to build up the mag well.
-I still have no idea whatsoever what the part that caps off the front of the sight rail is.

Anyway, wish me luck, and please send your 'input'. Ben
Thanks again for all the help!
jedidadd (brian montez)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good material to use to cap off yor sight rail is get some sculpy clay and mold it into the scope rail then bake it to make it hard then glue it in and sand it to the shape of the barrel. I did this on my D-17 that I use to build. Then if you want more detail cut out the shape end pieces from some styrene plastic. If can not find this plastic go the hardware store and buy the thickness you need in a for sale sign. Most are made out of styrene. I hope this helps.

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but...
I'm a bit... hesitant to use clay for this, though. Everyone else's gun had some sort of plastic or metal bit at the front of the sight rail.
I'm just trying to find what that is.
Thanks for the input, though.
Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the grip cut and sanded, but it still needs some more work. I have the ejector port cut and sanded, that's done. The ribbed section is done with, as well, and I finished repainting the scope.
Still, I could use some templates, and I still haven't identified the *mutters darkly* piece that caps off the front of the sight rail. Mad
I could also use some tips regarding the procedure for the mag well- what parts to use, assemly, ect.

All in all, I find myself in need of sage advice Ben
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't yet, download this and print it out: http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofflight/rebal_blaster15.gif

These

were made from that drawing.

All of the detail parts are just bits of wood or plastic. Get the dimensions from the drawing and work on one side of the part at a time. In my case, the front sight parts were made from the same 1/2" square hardwood I used for the top rail. You need a left and right (mirror)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for that- The template will be a big help. I'll take a second look at my reference pic library and try to fabricate the parts.
Also, would the guns you showed be examples of what I'll need to be up to standard?
Wolf 825 ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long absence, but oh well.
I've finished fabricating all the parts, and am ready to begin assembly. One little problem has arisen, though.
I've been using the Obey Wann/Warmwater plans from TK's website, and, up 'till now have followed them to the letter. As I look at the parts on the workbench, poised with screwdriver in hand, ready to start getting this thing done, one thought strikes me.
This gun is freakin' big.
Seriously, I'm getting kind of worried about that. These are supposed to go in holsters, right?
Now, I could just be reading this wrong, or overreacting, but I would like to double-check the dimentions of the gun. Could someone kindly post thins like the final length, width, height, and so forth? I'd really appreciate it. As I said before, I just want to get this right.
In order to ensure that we are all on the same page, I'll post a link to the plans I am using below. Input appreciated!

http://www.tk560.com/blaster2.html
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this "behind the scenes" picture

The troop nearest to us has both hands on the grip, and the butt end still extends well back past his wrist and over his shirtsleeve. The DH-17 is big. It is based on a Sub-Machinegun, not a pistol.

Your overall length should be about 18" only an inch shorter than an E-11.

The Hasbro Nerf(tm) version is estimated to be only 80% of the actual size. It's a toy and was sized for a child's hand.

I really, really recommend downloading the "rebal_blaster 15.gif" drawing. It matches up with every dimension that I can comapre it against (grip thickness, receiver diamater, etc.).
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to the Galactic Senate thread:

http://www.starwars.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?t=804

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: