Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=188fe9541f2b900afd217f6e16ca99d6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senator Riyo Chuchi from Trespass: A WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sierratrees ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Senator Riyo Chuchi from Trespass: A WIP Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. I am already a member of the 501st (TB 3648), but wish now to make my first good guy costume and will want it to qualify to join the RL with. From the topic, you can see who I have my heart on and I am going to build the costume she wears in trespass. (for reference: http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7a/Riyo_Chuchi.jpg). I want to better troop with my husband who is an animated senatorial clone trooper.

I'm going to try to plot this WIP out with the steps as I approach them.

My first and only costume previously has been a biker scout, so I am sure I have my work cut out for me. I think one major challenge of this costume overall will be to try to make this look animated. If any of you wonderful experts have advice for me, I would love to receive it.

Last edited by sierratrees () on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
sierratrees ()

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Step One Hair and Headdress Reply with quote

I plan to make the hair and headdress first as one piece. As I see it there are 5 components to this:

Component 1 Lavender wig
So far I have shopped for the perfect shade of lavender wig and narrowed it down to three choices. I have picked long wigs, assuming the hairdresser friend of mine will need the hair long to recreate the style.
Wig choice 1
Wig choice 2
Wig choice 3
What do you guys think of those? Or are there better choices any of you know about?

Component 2 Head Wrap
Her headwrap kind of reminds me of those old time movies where someone has a toothache. I really am not sure how to proceed with this step just yet, but the fabric looks like it has some texture to it, maybe a fake suede?

Component 3 Headdress:
I purchased some crafting foam after reading some advice on another thread on these boards to make the ceremonial headdress with. I also got some metallic gold paint that looks like a good match on the yellow crafting foam (I tested it on the foam on a small area). I am not certain that I picked the correct type of paint; I wanted it to be flexible and although this is washable paint, I don't think that is a worry unless I got the foam wet. My test area is stayed fast. I need to order the wig and have it styled before I can shape the crafting foam around it and then paint it.

Component 4 Headdress Decorative Designs
I am thinking of using 3D craft paint to create the little designs on her headdress. This is what they sell locally: 3D craft paint. I can't find a good color match, but I might be able to paint over a yellow or white paint to match using shading techniques.

Component 5 Headdress Dangle Details
I plan to cut the shape of these out of sheet styrene as I have plenty of that from storm trooper costuming and it is light. Then I can paint them and hang them on the headdress. This may also work with more of the craft foam.

Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those wig choices are great. I cant wait to see this come together! If anyone else has any helpful suggestions, please post Smile
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that a wig is not real hair and you can do lots of things to it that you couldn't do to hair on a person's head. Achieving a style like this is fairly simple to do with a wig, but less so for real hair. That being said, it's actually easier to make styles like this with shorter wigs paired with extensions. Long wigs typically do not have as much wefting in it, so when you try to split them, you will see the wig structure much more easily. Of course, the wig could be cut and the remaining length could be added into the wig, for both fullness and to help with the style. A big problem with extensions is finding some that match exactly, especially with non-standard colors, like lavender.
If you want more information on what I'm talking about, try the forums on www.cosplay.com or at http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigs.html

The color of those wigs is really nice, btw.

The headwrap looks less wrapped and more like it was cut to fit that way. It definitely laps over the right side forehead/temple. fake suede would probably be a good choice, but definitely try shaping it out of something else first. You might even want to try the thin craftfoam as a base since it can be shaped to fit your head in ways that fabric cannot.

Craftfoam for the headdress = awesome. I use acrylics and rub n buff on craft foam when I need it to look like metal. Make sure you seal it well or the foam will eat your paint. I've used fabric paint on craft foam to get 3D designs, in fact, using that exact brand. Rub n Buff over it will help blend the colors.

What are you going to attach the danglies with?

So far you seem to have an excellent plan to start with! The engineering aspect of these elaborate headdresses is fascinating to me and you seem to have a solid plan! Keep it up. Can't wait to see the costume!
sierratrees ()

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. When I started thinking about this a few weeks ago it felt impossible, especially with my lack of experience. You have buoyed me!

Thanks for the great tips, Jaclyn!Your advice on the hair has given me some new thoughts. Maybe I shouldn't use a wig at all and use more craft foam instead in a sort of layered fashion.

Level 1: wig cap or some other item that will fit over my head in a secure manner

Level 2: lavender craft foam - painted to look like Chuchi's hair from the front and top only.

Level 3: head wrap made of craft foam with areas cut out to show the lavender below and longer ends to fasten under my chin (velcro I'm thinking). This could be painted to match Chuchi's head wrap or covered up with moleskin or something suede-like.

Level 4:This would be the back and sides of her hair, attached separately, possibly as individual pieces.
Chuchi's hair doesn't even look like hair, really; it looks more carved or molded. Does anyone have any idea how to get an effect like this side view? I had an initial thought of Styrofoam, but I have a feeling it would not carve out very cleanly.

These four levels would form something like a helmet all in one built-up piece. It would definitely look more animated.

Level 5: the ceremonial headdress would fit over both Level 3 and Level 4. Attached to the "helmet" I would add the side and back hair and the headdress over both the hair and the "helmet".
What do you guys think of those ideas?

I went to my local Michael's craft store, but they didn't know what Rub and Buff is. I wonder if the art store might have it. The lady at Michaels had an idea to use hot glue for the headdress designs instead of 3D paint; said I should be able to paint right over it because it is clear.

I haven't considered what to attach the danglies with just yet. Maybe a straightened hair pin or very thin dowling rod?
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still go for the wig, truthfully. It would give it a more "realistic" look than just using craft-foam. I would also be careful to not overuse craft-foam. As much as I LOVE it, definitely see if other parts can be molded or made out of something else. Craft-foam is definitely a great starting place, though.

As for the head-wrap, you'll probably have to custom dye your own fabric, but I think a moleskin or something similar would work very well. Though Chuchi's a Senator, so she could probably afford something a bit classier, so if you can find a type of fabric a little bit smoother (maybe a leather?), it would look better.

"I dislike smiling. It contorts the face."
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still use a wig also, but would use some foam shapes to help get the hair styled correctly. They could be as simple as a ball of polyfil just to help get some fullness. Though, if you wanted to try it out of craftfoam, it is fairly inexpensive. You could potentially use multiple layers to get that side view. But, I still think using a wig would be a better route because it would be more realistic (even though the character is animated, trying to make yourself look animated never seems to come off quite right, in my experience... unless you're cosplaying Goku from DBZ, then it's all good).

Leather for the headwrap would be ideal. I know the Twi'lek costumers often use leather for their headwraps, so maybe a visit to the Twi'lek Celebration forums might help with that. I would be concerned about not getting fabric to lie smoothly over the head. However, since craftfoam is cheap, it's a good material to do some prototyping with.

If you're going to use a hot glue gun for the details, be careful that you don't melt your craftfoam! The sensitivity that craftfoam has to heat is both a blessing and a curse, but it never hurts to try it on a scrap. I'd recommend a low temp glue gun for sure! Also, hot glue comes off of craftfoam fairly easily, but hopefully the painting over it may help it to stick better.

Micheal's does sell Rub n Buff. It's in the paint section near the gold/silver leafing stuff. I've bought it there before. But here's what it looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/Rub-N-Buff-Finish-1-2-oz/dp/B00081HYDM

And idea for attaching the danglies: I'd use a thick copper wire that's insulated, but then I've got access to weird things like construction materials. A thin dowel would work pretty well too, but I think something a bit flexible would be better because you could more securely anchor it by knotting or curling the ends.

Your deconstruction of this is wonderful; keep it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: