Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b2525bcaf7310e2d89c313f6569a576bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Another TFA and Beyond Luke WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Another TFA and Beyond Luke WIP Reply with quote

I've commented in other threads about my costume, but I think it's time to start my own thread, as I'm getting much closer to something that might get approved for Rebel Legion.

I must preface this thread with a statement that becoming Luke Skywalker is a childhood dream come true. Watching the original movies in the '70's and '80s with my dad, I always though Mark Hamill looked like my dad. And of course I wanted to BE Luke Skywalker. Now that I'm older (as is Mark) I think I have a strong resemblance to him. So I decided at Dragon Con 2014 that I would make a new Luke costume. Of course publicity surrounding the movie didn't help me make the costume (his appearance being a big secret). But alas I got something and am working on improving it. I plan to use this costume for many years.

I first threw together a costume in August 2015 (first?) for Dragon Con based on the leaked photo. It wasn't screen accurate, but good enough that people knew who I was, even after the movie came out. Here is that costume (with Jeremy Bullock).

Since then I have had a new tunic, tabards and obi made from some natural Osnaburg cotton I got on clearance. I bought new boots and used some of the cotton material to provide the wraps (and cover laces and logo).

I just ordered some new pants to replace the basic light beige khakis I was using.

And I'm excited to get the linen (looks lighter than the image) I order to remake the cloak.

I remade the glove, because it has suffered a lot of abuse (4 days of Dragon Con, Halloween, 3-4 other cons) and was starting to really show. Originally I used a woman's "opera glove" but it was really hard to get off and I realized that I didn't need the mechanical part to go beyond my wrist. So a I made a new one using black Warbla for the 'metal' and a basic slim-fit winter glove with the finger tips that allow you to still use your phone. It looked pretty good, but my mistakes were using hot glue (it worked well on the first glove, not so much on the new one) and making the back of hand piece too big (rubbed on my knuckles). So I'll be working more on that.
facebook post

I got some leather to make a belt and here is where I could use some help. I looked up how to attach leather to leather. I know that I need to rough up the finished side (the 3" leather strip) to attach the strips using some leather glue (also ordered). The, perhaps simple, thing is how do I make it a belt? that is, how do I make it so it closes? Right now I'm using a buckle made from Warbla, but a friend is making a metal buckle at some point. My plan is to have it close in the back, with the ability to adjust to my variable waistline. Also trying to figure out how to create the texture the strips have in the photos from the movie another link to Facebook

Last on my list will be to make a new shirt. Right now I have a basic beige shirt, with the collar cut and remnants of a white shirt pinned on the front.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Smile

I do like those pants, I might order myself a set. They look like a good upgrade to the khakis I'm making due with for the moment.

I too will be at DragonCon with my Old Luke! Also my Resistance pilot suit for the parade mainly. Hope to see you there!
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Another TFA and Beyond Luke WIP Reply with quote

Creative Destruction wrote:

I got some leather to make a belt and here is where I could use some help. I looked up how to attach leather to leather. I know that I need to rough up the finished side (the 3" leather strip) to attach the strips using some leather glue (also ordered). The, perhaps simple, thing is how do I make it a belt? that is, how do I make it so it closes? Right now I'm using a buckle made from Warbla, but a friend is making a metal buckle at some point. My plan is to have it close in the back, with the ability to adjust to my variable waistline. Also trying to figure out how to create the texture the strips have in the photos from the movie another link to Facebook

The raised edges of Luke's belt are stitched on, so I cut my strips and am in the middle of hand-stitching them on... tedious work, but it will look awesome. I too am closing the belt in the back with Velcro, and making a buckle from some sheet metal, and going to try peening it with a ballpoint hammer then drybrushing some black paint for weathering.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, those pants are indeed pretty nice! I might just snag a pair myself. Smile
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Cloak Material Reply with quote

I got the linen today. I took pictures under three different types of light (LED): normal white, daylight and warm
Facebook

I think it comes pretty close.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Luke TFA Belt edge strips do not have stitching that I can see. The Kylo Ren belt definitely does, but if you look at a high res picture of Luke's Belt, it just has a single groove down the center of the edge strips.
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psab Keel wrote:
The Luke TFA Belt edge strips do not have stitching that I can see. The Kylo Ren belt definitely does, but if you look at a high res picture of Luke's Belt, it just has a single groove down the center of the edge strips.

That's what I thought too. For Dragon Con next week I will just go with a plain 3" belt. I'll wait on edging for a bit.
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on a hood pattern? It doesn't appear to have the long drape in the back or a seam on top as in the prequel hoods.
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a pattern suggestion, but I've looked at a couple of existing patterns (McCall's and Simplicity's, I think they were), and their hoods are WAY too small. Old Luke's is very large in comparison, and IMO takes a yard or more of fabric - technically 2+ yards, since the whole robe is self-lined (I'm looking at 17 yards for the robe, exclusive of the hood - because I'm big & tall, with fairly broad shoulders).

Check out The Padawan's Guide for hood ideas, perhaps? They have Luke's ROTJ costume IIRC, and other Jedi robes that you can see if one of those works well for you.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know of hoods and can see of Lukes, it has a seam in the back. It's large, but smaller than PT hoods. It should not go over the shoulders, but rest on them.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted pictures of the raw cut cloak and the hood template on my Facebook page, but can't get the pics to link for some reason.
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the costume is basically done for now. glove is being finalized. I will eventually get a metal buckle and open the sides of the outer tunic, but everything else should be good to go. I will be adding silver/grey to my hair for Dragon Con. I'll be there Thursday through Monday, in costume every evening. (I'm also on a panel about crowdfunding if anyone is interested)
hood up
revealing pouch
hood down
Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally getting back to this. Four years after starting it, two years after finishing the last piece, I finally have some pictures of the final costume.
Not sure if the photo links will work. I like the first one because I think I actually look like Mark Hamill in it. I have had people do a double take when seeing me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gBPTpyg1d96bCDQL6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4fqxyYHf3dJmKSp6A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xLwf9d2S54m11u9h9

I'll be submitting my application, finally, soon.

I went through two versions of almost all parts of the costume, except the glove, for which I have three different versions.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I'd suggest adding a bit of grey into your beard for a salt and pepper style, but that's just a suggestion. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Creative Destruction ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About how long does it usually take to get a response on a costume submission? It's been just over two weeks and I haven't heard anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: