Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=61475624270e6e68657eec7fdc91f9fbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Yet Another Ceremonial Leia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeryn Everdeen ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Ceremonial Leia Reply with quote

Hola! As I was finally able to score some Emerald City ComicCon passes this morning, I'm even more in the costuming mood! Leia Buns Still working on my Clone Wars action Padmé, but I'm looking at revitalizing this one as well!

The base of this costume is one I've had for a while. I happened across a listing for the dress on Ebay, and grabbed it. I've been meaning to get an "official" second opinion on the dress and accessories for some time, but never did. (I'm not seeking formal approval at this time - there're still some things I want to tweak and I know I don't have a clean full length image - just whether I'm headed in the right direction! Smile)

These are probably the best pictures I currently have of me in the current costume (I'll attempt to get some newer ones ASAP):

Based on these images, my thoughts:

1) First and foremost, the dress. Yay or nay? I know the cape/wings part is supposed to be "semi-sheer" - is this sheer enough? Also, is the train still optional? It's been a while since I've worn this but I seem to recall there isn't much of one, if any. I think this one runs right at floor length, maybe a hair longer. I'm also wondering if the scoop-neck should be a bit lower. I imagine I've put on a little weight since I last wore this :-| - so it will probably be a bit snugger than the current pics, though not drastically so.

2) The hair. The dangling braid almost certainly needs to be longer, about butt-length? I ordered the original braids from Three Muses Clothing, and while the owner told me they unfortunately no longer make braids in that color (dark reddish brown), she did point me to their supplier so I could buy the wefts and braid them myself. (I believe it was Texas Beauty Supply, or something like that.) Also, is the crown big enough? It's huge in the movie, but in the promo pics it seems to be slightly smaller?

3) The belt's off center in that first pic, yes, I didn't realize until later. Wink I'm not certain on the total number of plates, I'll have to count them when I get a chance. Otherwise, does the front look good?

4) I know the blaster's not screen accurate, it was just for the shot. Smile Ditto the earrings in the other pics.

5) The original necklace I ordered from this supplier. (This link is for the bracelet; the necklace one isn't available.) In my cross-country move, one of the squares got broken - should I attempt to repair it, or just take the opportunity and get another one, like this one? I understand this latter seller is one used by RLers in the past?

6) The bracelet - will this work? Or would the one linked above be adequate?

7) Shoes: I've bought the Easy Street silver pumps to replace the original ones I wore with this dress (which were really too glittery, not to mention painful to wear!).

Thanks to all for any guidance you can provide! Smile This is by far my favorite Leia costume - even if I never get it officially approved, I'd still like to make it the best costume I can!
--> Clone Wars Tan/Burgundy Action Padmé

Last edited by Aeryn Everdeen () on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola. Smile

I don't have much time, but some quick comments.

I'll have to say nay, but only because the fabric looks to have shine to it and not be matte. Yes, the neckline should be much lower, and yes, we'd like to see the train added, but the basics are all here.

You're right the braid should be a butt length. Crown looks like it would work as it, but it could be a bit larger. Wouldn't worry about it though.

If you can repair you can always try that first.

Belt looks pretty good. Top dip maybe a little deep, but not terribly sharp.

I can't comment more now, because I loose internet in about 10 minutes. Rolling Eyes *sigh*

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply! Very Happy Bit of a bummer on the dress, but, such is life. I'm glad it's at least passable enough for an informal version. Smile

I haven't ruled out a future attempt at an official take on this costume, so what fabric would be recommended for the dress? (Since I'm going to take another stab and say there isn't any way to mattify the existing fabric, lol.)
General Princess (Jordan West)
Central Base CO
Central Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be at Emerald City Comic Con, hopefully in this same costume! *long distance Leia high five*

Since Lora (who has been incredibly helpful with my work on this dress) had to run, I'm going to jump in. Leia Buns

I also had the too-small-braid problem and ended up using one of the jumbo kanekalon braids from Sally: http://www.sallybeauty.com/kanekalon-jumbo-braid/SASSY7,default,pd.html. If they don't have the color you need, Arada carries the same thing for slightly more, in more colors: https://arda-wigs.com/shop/jumbo-braid/ They also have it in white, if you need to dye it to get the right color. The jumbo braids are actually a little too long, but that's better than the opposite problem, since you can always chop some off. (For reference, here's mine at full length, and I'm 5'6" : https://flic.kr/p/Ndmg48)

For the necklace, I got the same one from american_molds on ebay, and it actually comes with too many squares (16, I think, where the original had 14). When I asked the judges, they said it didn't matter as long as it fit right, so you're probably fine, there.

The necklace construction is also inaccurate (fishing line as opposed to metal connectors), but Idk if that affects whether it's approvable. Maybe a judge can weigh in?

As far as fabric, I think different people use different things, since there are a lot of fabric blends that will get that same look. My underdress (I think) is a Rayon jersey with a bit of 2-way stretch. I lucked out with the overlay and got an armful of silk chiffon when Hancock was going out of business, but I think I read that a lot of people use swimsuit liner, since it's a nice, swishy mesh and much cheaper.

Honestly, one of the biggest challenges with this dress has been figuring out the pattern pieces. You might be able to save yourself some work if you take apart the dress you have and use it as a pattern for the new one?

I'm not a costume judge, so none of this is official opinion, just a few notes from my experience and a happy dance that there will be another Ceremonial Leia at EC3. Hope to see you there! Good luck!

They said to dress for the job I want, so I'm dressing like a badass space princess.
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*high fives* Very Happy Woohoo! We'll have to do a photo op.

My first costume priority right now is actually my Clone Wars Padmé - I'm not brave enough (nor do I have the living space) to tackle two costumes at once. But I hope to have that done in time to finish up this one as well! That said, I do plan on keeping an eye out for good deals on possible fabrics.

I already ordered the extra braiding hair, so I should be good there - 3 Muses' owner even pointed me to the brand and exact color they used for the original braids I bought, so the main issue will be my klutzy fingers! (When I had long enough hair for it, I could barely manage a sloppy Katniss Everdeen braid!) That, and dyeing my hair back to the color I used then - I suppose I could just rebuild the crown in my natural color, but I'm lazy! Wink I'll check out those links since I still need some extensions for my Padmé costume, though. Smile

Yep, american_molds is who I used for the necklace. I don't mind getting a new necklace if this one won't work, but if I don't have to replace it, then that's just one less thing to deal with! Smile

I wondered about taking the existing dress apart to pattern with as well, since it appears to structurally already have most of the requirements (just that blasted shininess LOL) - I'd just be afraid of making an even bigger mess and then having NO dress! Wink Not ruling it out, though, especially where the sleeves are concerned, since I'm not certain there's a pattern out there for those?

If I do go with a pattern, I was thinking the oft-suggested Butterick 4018 minus the sleeves for the base dress: I'd also have to draft a point instead of the rounded seam where the bodice meets the skirt, and I'd probably have to lower the neck (and maybe add a train), but otherwise it looks pretty close.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Very Happy
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. I'm back! (And supposed to go party in two minutes, but that's not happening right now). Wink

For input on patterns (if you don't want to take this one apart, but keep it in reserve) I suggest taking a look through the old ceremonial threads here on the forum. I think you can find some pointers on what to do.
Me, I "only" made this dress three times before I was okay with it, and of course, I know there are things that could be better, but I have other costumes to do. Rolling Eyes

I will suggest to make the outer dress and sleeves of chiffon. You will most likely hate working with the fabric, but it looks great. A two way stretch is fine for the inner dress, but avoid a four way and something with too much stretch or the weight of the fabric will drag it out. The skirt is huge and heavy.

If the necklace looks right you should be fine. Smile Actually on your photo it looks a little large so losing a square is a good thing.
I also think you're good with the bracelet.

Shoes looks like they should be fine as well.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile I'll take out the existing dress sometime soon and see if it's workable for pattern construction... it's kind of a stretchy fabric, though, which I understand can be a pain to handle. Even if I use a preset pattern I plan to use this dress as a visual reference, though.

Picking up some additional knickknacks at JoAnn to work on my CW Padmé, I swung through the fabric section and came across something called "sanded satin" that I liked the look and feel of for the base dress for this Leia, and wasn't shimmery or stretchy:

What's the verdict on this? I was tempted to grab it, but there wasn't near enough of it for a dress anyway. Sad And they had plenty of polyester chiffon, but somewhere I heard a silk chiffon is best? (I admit to liking the look and feel of the swimsuit lining for the sleeves too.)

Assuming I do the train, about how many yards of fabric would you need? I've heard some say 4 yards for the sleeves, but not sure on the base dress.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty good, but fabric is hard to judge on a screen. The original was silk, so it's likely the inner dress was habotai or chemeuse or something. Sanded satin might not be a bad bet. If it has no stretch at all you might want to do it on the bias to have a bit of stretch in the bodice.

I wish I could remember how much I used. I know I ended up buying more fabric, because my sleeves and base dress took up a lot. The train is not very long; I think mine's about 40 cm extra. But it also depends on the width of the fabric. What did I buy? 6 + 2 meters?

Polyester chiffon is fine, but you may like the silk better.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Smile

My local JoAnn just restocked and it looks like they have about 9 yards of the satin now... maybe I should just buy the whole bolt, LOL! Their site says the fabric is 57" wide.

Also looking at silk chiffons from Dharma Trading - there's an 8 mm at 44" wide and a 10mm at 54". Due to the size of the sleeves (and the disclaimer about the fabric shrinking) I'm wondering about the 10mm.

Either way I have to wait until next payday, but I figure it can't hurt to do the research now. Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the underdress, you won't need quite that much, but it does take up some fabric. I also have some large gores in mine to give it volume. (Kinda like an old 1880 dress, but without the bum roll). Razz
If you know exactly where your belt goes you can do the bodies and skirt separately, but you will have to be sure of your seamlines first. It might save you some fabric.
I don't know; four meters of the sanded satin? Your height plus train plus whatever extra you will need for the width of the skirt.

Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while! Glad this thread's still around. Very Happy

I'm finally going to another Celebration and a friend of mine has agreed to sew this dress for me! Smile We've drafted the pieces of jeneyre's pattern, which should require only very slight modifications to the bust to fit me. I'm waiting on the go-ahead from my friend on how much fabric to get. Still looking at the sanded satin as the main dress fabric. I'm undecided on the translucent layer, though I'm leaning towards a chiffon. Though I guess it's ultimately up to my friend to determine how confident she is with a particular fabric!

On the accessories, I think some are salvageable from my earlier version of the costume:
    -- Some of the silver paint has chipped off the necklace, but it looks otherwise fine. It shouldn't be that hard to touch up. I'm concerned about how flimsy the squares feel, though, and am wondering if anyone can attest to the durability of necklaces by this seller?

-- I have the silver Easy Street pumps.

-- The belt is still intact but I'm not wild about the obvious hand-painted look of it. Looking at maybe this one in silver to replace it?

-- I have a chunky silver bracelet, but I'm hoping to find a closer match.

-- The hair. I have the base of a bun, but it needs some buildup and the hanging extension isn't long enough. I bought braidable hair in the same color from a beauty supply store, I just need to sit down and do the work of braiding and building up the bun/extension. I also need to remember to not get my hair shortened drastically between now and April so the hairpieces have something to grab onto. Wink

So excited to be going to a Celebration again, hopefully with a better version of this costume than before! Smile Hoping to have pictures soon.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeryn Everdeen wrote:

On the accessories, I think some are salvageable from my earlier version of the costume:
[list]-- Some of the silver paint has chipped off the necklace, but it looks otherwise fine. It shouldn't be that hard to touch up. I'm concerned about how flimsy the squares feel, though, and am wondering if anyone can attest to the durability of necklaces by this seller?

-- I have the silver Easy Street pumps.

-- The belt is still intact but I'm not wild about the obvious hand-painted look of it. Looking at maybe this one in silver to replace it?

-- I have a chunky silver bracelet, but I'm hoping to find a closer match.

Glad to see you continuing this project. I have the necklace you posted about and can attest to how lovely it is. I will say that the little squares sometimes flip around a bit so you need to keep an eye on them (meaning one will randomly pop up and you won't notice cause it's so light) but other than that, I recommend it.

Belt looks good to me. The person wearing the silver one in 2 of the photos is one of our LCJ's, Christine Evans, so you may want to double check with her but I'm almost positive she's approved with it and it is approvable.

There is a RL member who sells the bracelet out of resin. I purchased mine from her. I believe she is still on Facebook in the Bun Squad group. You may want to ask there. There is also a 3D print file available for it as well but I can't for the life of me find it now. A Google search would probably turn it up.

In progress/submitted: Jawa, Qi'Ra, Jyn Erso IGC, Padme Amidala (pilot), SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Aeryn Everdeen ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback! 🙂 I think I’ll go ahead and get that belt, just so I know I’ll have it before SWC.

I feel I should clarify: in regards to the necklace, I have no idea who made mine, it was part of the original listing with the dress. I’m just looking for a potential replacement if there’s a better one available than what I have:

https://flic.kr/p/2ewmYtp
https://flic.kr/p/SodX5G
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I misunderstood. I think the necklace works great.

In progress/submitted: Jawa, Qi'Ra, Jyn Erso IGC, Padme Amidala (pilot), SW 7 Leia, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necklace looks good, though there's a large space between the two back pieces and the closure.
The belt also looks like it's approvable. But I will point out the shape on the ceremonial belt is actually somewhat different from the senatorial belt. You just don't really notice it when it's worn. Smile

Could luck with your upgrade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: