Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aa40b8dac66279dab5bbfd24a9e2677fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Answer Thread: Fyr Mureys

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base -> Tython Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freq (Erich Shafer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Answer Thread: Fyr Mureys Reply with quote

This thread is for answers from Fyr Mureys relating to his candidacy for CO of the proposed Tython Base. Only he may post in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperial_brick wrote:
What will you bring to the position of base Co that will help RL grow and prosper in NSW ?

While only new to RL and Star Wars costuming in NSW, I believe that I have already contributed to increasing our membership by a third in the last few months, and I intend to continue encouraging growth of our membership by assisting and encouraging the creation of new costumes, while maintaining retention by contacting dormant members and supporting our existing members. I have been actively pursuing new trooping opportunities, and have initiated and maintained a calendar in the NSW section of forums to allow our members to see when troops are scheduled in plenty of time, as well as creating individual topics per troop in the troop planning area of forums. By increasing our trooping opportunities I hope to raise the public awareness of our legion, and improve interest of existing members.

imperial_brick wrote:
what is your propose command staff team be or would there be none ?

As I am new, I am not familiar with the particular skills of all our members. As such, I would appreciate volunteers from our membership for roles that members feel their skills are appropriate for. Having said that, while I am flexible, I already rely on certain members, and have the following team in mind.

BXO; Adam S
Merchandising; Swiv
PR; Ahsoka Tano
501st Liason; DaveJ
MM Liason; Luciferian

imperial_brick wrote:
How do u intend to coexist with other SW groups

Harmoniously, in sweet nirvana... Wink

All jokes aside, peaceful coexistence is a primary aim of mine, and should be for all members. We are all fans of the same universe, we are all here to have fun, and we function best when we support each other rather than trying to stand alone. Rebels don't fight rebels, imperials don't fight imperials, and photos that have only one or the other are static, boring. Combine rebels and imperials, and Mandos, and R2s, then we have strength in numbers, variety of costumes, and our personal experience, and the experience we provide to the kids and public, are so much richer. Heroes and Villains, and Dream Night were great examples of multi-group troops that were great experiences for all involved, and I would like to continue with an aim of inclusiveness for all groups to all RL troops.

Excellent questions, Imperial_Brick. Thank you!

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imperial_brick wrote:
Spare Time is such a rare thing in our lives would you have time to devote dealing with running a base ?

None of us have spare time! So much to do, so little time... There are many things I have already given up to focus on the legion and costuming. Can't remember the last time I played a game of golf, for instance.

I work several evening shifts during a week, and often find myself with 1-4 mornings(varies by roster) per week where I have a few hours to myself. These mornings are ideal for co-ordinating and organising things online, such as running a base. They are also good times to be speaking with international contacts by Skype. I also interact with forums by my iPhone, which I have with me at work and check frequently every day. As such, I am easily contactable and often have time to deal with issues that come up online during my breaks or quiet times at work, which is extremely variable, alternating between very busy and very quiet!

As with any position of responsibility, I don't believe in doing everything myself, and tend to delegate as much as possible. This frees up some time from the routine duties to prepare me for the unforeseen surprises that are bound to crop up!

In running a base, I shall draw on previous experience of my own in co-ordinating international online communication as well as the experience of my online mentors in the Rebel Legion, mentors like Rick Chinn, Sarah Morrison, and Dave Humphrey.

I would also seek local advice from more experienced members like Adam S, Dave J and the rest of our membership to find solutions to any concerns that may crop up from time to time.

imperial_brick wrote:
Would you ensure that all members voices are heard and how would you go about this?

In the past I have maintained and monitored large and small Skype groups to ensure communication among all members. More recently I have been enabling and encouraging Facebook message groups to do the same.

I tend to have several different group chats going at once dealing in different specialties and working groups, this ensures that relevant discussion is shared by all participants whenever they have the opportunity to log online. These chat groups are a fast, informal and efficient way of keeping discussion going and focused on particular objectives. Of course any significant discussion will also be relayed back to RL forums topics, both for transparency and to keep everyone in the loop, especially those who don't use the Facebook chat for whatever reason.

I tend to listen to the concerns of all members raised in such chats, and I return to the subject if I think that a members' point has been insufficiently discussed. I also make a point of contacting members who are not involved in the chats individually from time to time to make sure they are ok and are up to date with any important developments in the group. This has been my normal practice up to now, and I will continue to develop these practices in the future, whatever the result of these elections.

Swiv wrote:
A lot of people will ask questions to see if the base is maintained, but I thought I would ask a different type of question to show your vision for this base. What would be your dream event and how will you go about planning it?

Good question. A dream event would be something like Celebration Downunder, an international event with all of Australia and many guests from overseas coming together to celebrate Star Wars Fandom. How would I organise it? I haven't the foggiest. I would contact the organisers of Celebration VI and Celebration Europe to find out how they organised it, get support from organisers of big events like Supanova and Armageddon and liaise closely with organisers of the other Rebel and 501st Legions in Australia, as well as SkyForce, R2 builders and so on. Such an event would be "all hands on deck", it would require phenomenal amount of input and cooperation between all the groups in the host area.

Swiv wrote:
Also one last one, which events are more important to you, small charity events or big conventions?

Both are important. Small charity events are our "bread and butter", the ways we gain experience and get our name and faces out in the community and known to the public and the charity organisations. They are fun, and give us exposure to kids and events in costumes, and that trooping experience stands us in good stead for bigger events. It's the small events that gain us the networking to go to bigger events, for instance our recent involvement in KidsFlix gained us the invite to William's Walk, a larger charity event held by the same group.

Big conventions are fantastic, fun, exposure, a time to really strut our stuff and show of our costumes and the RL to a great target audience. They are usually the reason we make the costumes in the first place, and are a good source for recruitment. We need to focus our energy on preparing for the big stuff, but we can't overlook the little stuff in the mean time!

Foxtom Inau wrote:
I would like to know of both candidates,
What are the best reasons for us to vote for the other candidate.

Adam offers a great deal of experience in costuming, both in the Rebel Legion and several other costuming groups. He is experienced in leading NSW and knows most of the members well. His neutrality and level-headedness is nationally and internationally recognised. His involvement with the other local costuming groups will help us forge a cohesive relationship with them, and those relationships will be vital in enabling us to coexist peacefully and grow together for the benefit of all groups

In my experience of Adam, both in discussions with people who know him and in my own contact with him, he is a great bloke and he is a good candidate for BCO of Tython base. I like him a lot, and I am honoured to be in a friendly competition with him for this position.

Thank you imperial_brick, Swiv and Foxtom for your excellent questions.

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandman wrote:
Congrats to both of the candidates for being nominated for NSW CO. Its a tough job being CO. i know! its been said above that spare time is a rare thing, but a lot of the work is done behind the scenes from RL members. good luck to you both and look forward to working with a new Base CO in the future.

how do you plan to be seen as "ACTIVE" and how will being CO affect your time with other clubs participation such as 501st or SSA?

Thank you Beanie!

While I am not involved in 501st, I am heavily involved in SSA. SSA is not a costuming group, so while I troop in costume, I troop as a Legionary. I train Saber Arena usually on a Wednesday night, which would not conflict with the vast majority of RL troops, and there is little online organisation involved in Saber Arena, much of which is already ably handled by Ahsoka Tano. In week-to week running, SSA mostly requires me to turn up to training once a week!

Saber Arena has been invited to participate in a couple of major events coming up as a group. This has started to chew up time and effort. Having said that, Saber Arena is inviting RL, MM and 501st to join us at the events, so I see them as overlapping events that benefit all our groups. This invite is coming from Mediaeval groups to Saber Arena because of our combat aspect, Star Wars costuming groups would not traditionally be invited to these events.

I work full time doing shift work, and have two children staying with me once a fortnight. Until now, I have successfully balanced my family life with the successful creation of an archery group a couple of years before Saber Arena, which completed its target of getting several of its members to a certain level of experience, and then Saber Arena, which neatly replaced it and encompasses some of the same members. I have organised Saber Arena to the point where it is relatively self sustaining, which frees up plenty of time for me to devote to RL, which I have already commenced doing in the past few months. I have made it to all the major and several minor troops since starting to create my Jedi costume, and intend to continue doing so in the future, whatever the results of this election.

TL;DR... In short, my involvement with SSA is complimentary with Rebel Legion and should pose minimal if any conflict between the two. Of the several upcoming events I have posted for the first half of the year there is only one that I've had to choose between the SSA/multi group troop and the RL/501st only troop. In my belief, my ACTIVE status should be in little doubt to anyone, as I attend most troops and comment on forums almost daily.

Thank you Beanie for your support and an excellent question.

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Master_Skywalker_ wrote:
When it comes to promoting the RL, how do you plan to increase the general publics awareness in NSW that there is a good guy costuming group that they can joinand not only the 501st which has been visiually dominant for many many years in NSW.

Trooping, trooping, trooping!

I believe that the best way of getting out the message of who we are and what we do is to do what we do, and do it often. The more we have bigger groups of members in great costumes, the more the public will pay attention and the media will notice. I was on morning television, the Sunrise show, during Supanova, and my photo made it into local media at Supanova, Heroes and Villains, McHappy Day and the Rocks Markets. The media are at large events, they are attracted by interesting costumes and groups, and they help us get the word out by doing their job, if we do ours.

NSW has hitherto been a largely fragmented group, as we well know. We haven't had incentive to gather together and troop under the one banner. Getting this group together to discuss base formation is probably the first time that we've had the opportunity and impetus to do anything together as all of NSW RL, rather than just as RL members attached to other groups. If we work together in a cohesive manner, then our group will be very much noticed and in the public eye.

We have made good progress in working cohesively with our fellow 501st Legionaries at Heroes and Villains, Dream Night and the SSA BBQ, and I will be working to the best of my ability to maintain those good relations. If we get 20 RL members at Supanova together for a photoshoot, that would be amazing. Add in 40 501st members, and the media are bound to notice... For the benefit of both Legions. I would like to see photos with both banners flying, as I don't see a strong need to publicise RL separately to our fellow Legion... More Star Wars costumers in either legion benefits us all.

I have seen a recent surge of interest in RL from SCG members with costumes eligible for dual membership, and I have seen our members making 501st costumes for approval... The same goes for the Mandalorian Mercs, another group that I suspect will be blossoming in the near future. Saber Arena is also promising to be helpful to the Legion, as the combat aspect of SSA is opening the door to Mediaeval events that have hitherto been out of reach for Star Wars costuming, and Saber Arena is inviting the Legions to come and support them at those events. This increases our profile at large events that have a lot of similarity and often compatible interests, of fantasy/sci-fi and costuming, both among the general public and other costuming groups. After all, everyone knows that we come from a long, long time ago...

I think there is really a synergistic link between membership and public awareness. If we troop together as a group, the public will notice, and we will get more members. More members lead to bigger troops, lead to more attention from the public. Trooping also gives us a good chance to get the standard range of RL promotional material out to the public. I am really excited to be already discussing informal plans for Supanova among members of both legions and the MM, for instance. There were a LOT of independant good Jedi costumers wandering around the last Suapnova, this time we will have one Rebel group to find them, one group to bring them all and in the Legion bind them.... Sorry, got a bit carried away there... Wink But you get the gist! Smile Very Happy Smile Very Happy

So, coming back to Dave's question. I've already been asking our members to alert us to any trooping opportunities, big or small. At this stage, we're better off not being picky, we need to get out there and get trooping as much as possible. I also invite thoughts and suggestions from all members on how and where we can promote ourselves, particularly in local parades and events. I also seek volunteers for the position of PR officer, to actively seek out ways we can increase our public profile, but urge all members to be involved in this task... It's not just up to one of us to promote our legion, all of us are ambassadors for the international Rebel Legion. Forging and maintaining a good relationship with our fellow Legion, the 501st, and Mercs will provide opportunities for us to help them, and get our own image out there in co-operation with them for the benefit of all.

In short....

Trooping, trooping, trooping!

Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Firstly a big thank you to Erich, for keeping everything organised and moving, to everyone who posted questions, and Adam for some great answers.

Speaking frankly, I have little concern for the outcomes of this vote. Adam and I won the moment the candidate nominations closed with no competing candidates posed. We are already working as a cohesive team, and it makes little difference to either of us which one is CO or XO in the general day-to-day running of our base. We will both continue to work to the best of our ability to promote our base growth and stability. I think that I can honestly say that the base will do as well locally whatever the outcomes.

I think that the Q&As have shown me more than ever that our aims for our base are similar and complimentary. However, the position of BCO is not just a local position, but an international part of a greater entity, communicating largely on forums and online. Sorry, Adam, but I think that's one area where I have the edge over you, mate! Wink Adam works better face to face in a local sense and is less comfortable with fancy words and language.

As you have seen in this Q&A thread, eloquence and verbosity are natural traits of mine, as is networking and gaining friends and allies globally and nationally. In the short time I have been in the legion I have gained strong mentors and supporters in the international legion, and I think that it is those connections and mentorship that will serve all of us best in streamlining our base formation.

Whatever the results, this has been a wonderful experience and I thank all of you for the opportunity to participate. Adam, you're a great candidate and I am honoured to have shared this experience with you.
Thank you base members for your hard work thus far in pulling together and setting up this base, it's been a hard pull so far but there's still a fair way to go!

Good luck, everyone. I know that I'd find this a hard decision to make...

Thank you all!

Fyr Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tython Base -> Tython Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: