Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7a00871fbdd79482aac539df57dab957Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hair colour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puck (Puck)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Hair colour Reply with quote

I am sure this post is not going to make me friends, but it is something that has been bugging me for such a long time now. And I just hope to know why this decision was made.

When I look at the standards for Mara Jade is says:
The costumer's hair or wig must be strawberry-blonde, red, or red-gold in color, and should be from the shoulders to mid-back in length.

Her hair colour is seen is important and striking for the character, that is why I assume it is mentioned in the standards.

Why is this not the case for Leia and Padme? Those standards mention:
Naturally-occurring hair color only

Personally, I feel that brown hair for Leia/Padme is as much of an characteristic as red hair for Mara Jade.

I am not trying to say that blonde or other hair-colour Leia's are bad, some of those costumes are truly the most amazing I have ever seen, but I still think blonde hair looks a bit off. And I am certain a wig can solve this easily. I have a Leia wig myself, because I love to change my hair colour.
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic comes up form time to time , and I lean towards more of the costume rather then the hair but here is pretyt much the sum up to your response

While other characters might have blond hair , or brown hair ect , Mara Jade's hair is integral to the character as her leather body suit as opposed to other characters where the hair style is what matters as opposed to the particular color as long as it is a natural hair color ..
Puck (Puck)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen this discussion before, I am so sorry for bringing this up again.

I also do disagree with hairstyle as the part that matters instead of the haircolour, but if that is the rule the RL wants to stick to, I will accept it. No worries Smile I was just very curious.
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never be sorry abotu asking a question .. .I mearly pointed htat out to show that you are not alone in this question ......that your concern or curiosity is not an isolated one .. I know that soemtimes one would not want to feel alone on a question or an idea..... so to quote Dr. Who "You are not alone"
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been debating a Juno Eclipse costume....but not sure it will look right with my red hair....but I'm dreading the idea of a wig and refuse to get rid of my red hair. I love being a redhead. lol! So, we'll see.....
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juno is a very fun costume and I think I really love the drama that she is a spy! Mahahahaha!
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Hair Color Reply with quote

I completely agree with Puck! I think if it doesn't matter for Leia or Padme, than it shouldn't matter for Mara Jade. As long as it is a naturally occuring hair color. I think anyone with any natural hair color should have the right to be approved as which ever character they want, as long as the costume and hair style are accurate
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had this thought about this topic. I'm of the opinion that hair color is as much a part of the costume as the actual costume pieces. If we're going to say that Mara needs to have red hair, than Leia/Padme needs to have brown.

As for Juno, she's a blonde, she's recognizable as a blonde, if I were to ever see a not blonde Juno, I'd think the costume isn't complete. I think the same when I see Leia's with hair color that isn't in the realm of brown.

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment Leader 2011/2012
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Puck (Puck)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do realise this is a difficult subject, because where draw the line?

After I posted this....I realised this discussion could even go any further, to a place where I don't want to go, skin colour or body type.

I think everyone should costume character they love and body type/skin colour shouldn't matter....then why am I thinking hair colour does matter? It makes no sense....(maybe because is possible to change easily with a wig)

And this was someting I didn't consider when thinking about the hair colour issue......I apologise for that.

I should learn to think more and post less Laughing
Jaxxa ()
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you're okay. It's a tough issue and you raised a good question - it is funny that one costume requires hair color and another doesn't.

I think it's the difference between constructing a costume and playing the character. That's where the lines get a little blurry in the Legion because some people are all about construction, some are all about being the character, and a whole lot are a little of column A and a little of column B. There's room for both. Sometimes we are called upon to show off craftsmanship and sometimes it's more important that the audience sees Leia as a brown-haired girl in a white dress.

I think there ought to be a bit more consistency with the wig requirements, not to force anyone out who doesn't want to wear a wig, but to draw better lines between well-made costumes and those who are shooting to pass for the characters they are portraying. I don't want to get into the body issues that come with that either, but it's going to happen to a certain degree as long as we're "cast" for PR events.
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't even touch body type/size or skin color, those are things that are either really hard or impossible to change, while hair is easily dealt with using a wig or temp hair color. I myself am naturally the correct Leia brown, but choose to wear a full wig since it's much easier to throw the pre-styled wig on rather than mess with hair pieces, and I say naturally because I'm currently platinum blonde. It could easily come down to brown haired Leia's/Padme's are formal, and all other hair colors are informal, since we already have that status ability built into the costumes.

The Flagship Eclipse Detachment Leader 2011/2012
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per the charter we can not discriminate by race creed or color... so things like skin color, size, and shape cannot be taken into account when a costume is judged... which is a good thing, for I am not sure I would do so well as an overweight Han Solo.

Article I: Membership
The Rebel Legion is an inclusive, equal opportunity fan club. The Legion will not discriminate members on the basis of sex, race, religion, creed, nationality, sexual orientation, age (as long as the minimum age of at least 18 years or higher if required by local law has been reached), or physical handicap. The Legion also will not tolerate any type of discrimination amongst its members.

However... hair is something that CAN be altered (as mentioned above with Wigs) without discrimination, and to request a wig for certain costumes should be part of certain standards IMO.

The biggest issue I remember that usually comes up is why do some charactors get a pass when it comes to hair (Han) and others do not.

The phrase I have always liked to use for this issue is "Iconic"... "is the hair style or color Iconic to the charactor? For someone like Mara Jade... her hair color is very Iconic to the charactor as the color of her hair is mentioned at every pass... and the color of her hair DOES defines her. Same as Leia... and her "Buns"... such a hair "Style" is Iconic. Leias Hair color is not as much an issue IMO as is the style of her hair... however I feel it is safe to say the topic of hair color for all face charactors is always up for debate.
Where Han may be a scruffy looking nerf herder... his charactor is Iconic for a good blaster and tight pants and tall boots... not his hair style/color.

Mara Jade...
16... The costumer's hair or wig must be strawberry-blonde, red, or red-gold in color, and should be from the shoulders to mid-back in length.

Leia Organa (Episode IV: A New Hope, Senatorial Gown)...
4. Hair is parted in or near the center and pulled into large buns that cover the ears. Buns are twisted, not braided. No braided hairpieces, wig with braided buns or fake hair “ear-muffs” with headband. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

Han Solo...
Hair is not mentioned as part of standards...

If someone has an issue with a standard they can always bring it up to the DCO (Detachment Commanding Officer) of the proper detachment and start a discussion with the group... that is what they are there for. If a standard needs to be adjusted I am sure as a group... they are the ones who can get it done!

Creating this topic is exactly how standards get improved... by starting a discussion, just like this one... Smile

Bob
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thank you for the explanation. Very well said. Smile
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember the last time this discussion was brought up! I'm in the camp of everyone should strive to achieve the look as best they can. I have seen costumers who don't even try (like wearing scrunchied pony-tails and sunglasses to a troop), and sometimes it can take awhile to learn how to style and wear a wig. Myself, I tried to temporarily dye my hair brown but the stuff won't work on my naturally strawberry-blonde hair (which reminds me, I need to get on a Mara Jade costume... I agree her hair color is iconic), so you can see my hair in my sig is too light for Padme... but I'm currently studying adding my own lace fronts to wigs so I can gain a step closer to accuracy. I would hope everyone strives for accuracy! (whether or not it takes them time to achieve it!)

And if the wookiees can latch-hook a whole body-suit, we can play with some wigs, now can't we? Wink

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really agree with Vera that we should all strive to match the hair coloring of the character we're trying to portray.

That being said, if we allow blond or red-headed or black haired Leias and Padmes we should allow blond, brunette or black haired Maras.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: