Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=55064c0de35627386653105b18ecce83Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Saber-smith's Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyperguyver2 wrote:
Wow thats alot to digest. I have a US mid-grade blade, the color LED I use is green so its still bright but I just want it brighter

You could try one of the Ultra Edge blades and see if that gets you a little brighter. Otherwise, I think you are as bright as you can get without major surgery to the electronics.

Last edited by Tymae Yarmoo () on Sat May 24, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when not doing sabre demos i have started using coloured blades from TCSS.

although they dont look like the best at least it is blue when you troop outside in the sun

you might not have any replies tim but your work is definately awsome and am sure plenty of people admire what you have done with your sabres
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartss wrote:
when not doing sabre demos i have started using coloured blades from TCSS.

although they dont look like the best at least it is blue when you troop outside in the sun

you might not have any replies tim but your work is definately awsome and am sure plenty of people admire what you have done with your sabres

Thanks. I was more curious if the thread was linked to somewhere out there in internet land. It seemed to get a lot of hits in a short time. I tried to figure out if it was linked to but any search I tried just came back to the original thread.

One way another, it has been a popular thread to look at and hopefully it has gained some recognition for Nar Shaddaa Base.
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two quick builds I finished up for Joliet. They are both made of parts that were salvaged from botched work. MHS shroud material covers mistakes really well.

These are stunt sabers (no sound) and will be uses as hands on sabers for display. These will be there to be handled and banged around and not be worried about.

Yes, kids, you can touch these.

Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, last one for a while. I have been pecking away at this one for some time also. It is a build for my wife and she will carry it at the Joliet event.

I present...Helena

The concept: My goal here was to create a very ornate looking saber. Being that this is for my wife, I had a vision of a hilt that looks like a piece of jewelry with clean lines and elegant, timeless details. I wanted this saber to look like it was made of precious metals at the hands of an artisan.

The exterior: The body parts are from Ultra Sabers and the switch box is from TCSS. The emitter is an Overlord, the body is a Shock, and the pommel is a high profile Manticore. The Shock body worked well for this build and it even has a subliminal suggestion of a gift to a spouse due to the many “rings” on the design (at least in my mind it does).

The electronics: These are all US except the switch. US does not sell a purple ring switch so that came from elsewhere. The rest is all US. It has a standard Obsidian sound set up with Li-Ion batteries and a buck puck. The LED is Dark Violet Amethyst which I think compliments and balances the look of the hilt nicely. Beautiful, yet deadly.

The accessories: The blade is a midgrade blade with bullet tip. I also wanted to make a cool blade plug for it. I ordered a 40” midgrade blade and cut it down to 34”. I then used that chunk of blade to make the blade plug using the old electric shaver blade trick. I made the blade plug longer than standard so it bottoms out in the emitter. I glued the shaver blade in place with a hot glue gun and then took some of the excess cellophane wrap from when I cut down the blade and crumpled it up into the blade plug to help mix and defuse the light better.

This was my first time working with the Ultra Sabers Obsidian sound card. It is a nice card but definitely different from the Nano Biscotte cards I am used to working with.

When all is said and done, I am happy with the way this turned out and so is she. Caroline will be carrying it at the Joliet library event this coming weekend so you can check it out there up close.

And now, the saber smith must rest for a while.
hartss ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like those types of switches much better than the ones you get on most US hilts. they really stick in your hands when fighting. that looks really comfortable to wield
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another picture I meant to include above. It is the guts of the saber. If anyone out there has an Ultra Saber and is wondering what it looks like on the inside.....

This is the Obsidian sound card and Trustfire Li-Ion battery set-up. You can also see the Modular LED Unit and the "buck puck."
RebelJedi77 (Jason Stoxen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I had your time and resources, Tim. Bravo!

I have been working on something myself that I will be revealing at Joliet this Saturday, though I am not sure it will be quite the caliber of your work. Actually, I know it's not, but I am happy with it... at least for now... as a prototype...
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the parts for my friend's saber, I picked up another sound card for myself. I had that sound card dog-eared for another saber upgrade but ended up changing my mind. It was going to be too much of a hassle to retro fit that particular stunt saber. So I sat on the sound card for a while and tinkered around with the TCSS MHS builder.

I played with a lot of different ideas. With the announcement of new Star Wars movies in the making I have been thinking a lot of what we will get to see in a post ROTJ story. I am sure there will be a New Jedi Order and I began thinking about what the weapons of those Jedi might look like. I looked at a lot of images of NJO characters in source books. I think the artists pretty much hit the nail on the head as to what my vision of those sabers would look like so I drew inspiration from them. I know it may seem silly to make such a saber with the new movies coming soon, where all of these questions will be answered, but I could not keep myself from day-dreaming and hoping. It is better to stoke the embers of inspiration that to extinguish them.

Without further delay, I present…..The Centurion, a New Jedi Order themed saber.

I borrowed parts of the Graflex, as well as Luke’s and Obi Won’s sabers. I wanted this saber to look strictly business rather than the finely crafted sabers of the prequels.

The body is a 7” extension with the box cut done by TCSS (which is worth every penny). This left me with plenty of working room inside.

I went with Box 6. I think the busy looking switch box makes it look more purposeful and adds to the business only look. I went with red accents instead of matching blade color to switch color.

I went with a blue blade since I had a blue Rebel Star on hand. It just seems to go with the saber so that worked out nicely.

The grip and neck colors are painted on.

If I do say so myself, I think I accomplished what I set out to do. Enjoy the pictures and tell me what you think.

I will be taking a break from saber building for a while. I am not working nearly as much overtime at work as I was in the past few years. It has been nice to be home more, but of course, that means less funds for stuff like this.

I hope you have enjoyed this thread and I hope members and future members will get something out of this thread for years to come. I am always happy to help in anyway I can with questions.
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! This thread just hit 4600 views. That is 500 views since my last build posting.

Thanks to all for making this thread a big hit. I am glad to have made a lasting contribution to this website and to the Star Wars costuming community.

Stay tuned. The saber smith is not done. There may be something being reworked and upgraded as we speak.

Thanks to all of my fans.

May the Force be with you.
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I promised something else and here it is......

I was never really happy with The Ranger. It was fun to build a Graflex style saber but I got no use out of it and could not see myself using it. Not to mention, the one I built was a little too big to look right. It was one of my first attempts at board soldiering on a Sound Card and I was not sure of myself and my abilities so I left extra room. This resulted in a Graflex that was too long to look right and all it did was sit on a shelf.

Anyway, I have been pondering the idea of a Dark Jedi. No, Tymae Yarmoo has not gone to the Dark Side, but I was contemplating the idea of a nemesis. A Jedi who started on a similar path, but the great Jedi purge that he survived took him in a totally different direction, to the Dark Side. I even wrote a back store for this character (yes, my imagination gets the better of me at times).

I wanted to construct the character's lightsaber. I decided that since The Ranger was not getting any use, I would re-tool it. My goal with this project was to make a saber that did not immediately read as a Dark Side saber. it was to look like a Jedi's saber until the blade was ignited and then you get to see the true nature of the user.

I used an emitter that I have used before but I put a 3/4" extension in before it and a trim ring to give it a whole different look. I also made a new grip out of the TCSS sleeve material and shaped it a little bit. I put a d-ring on it because this guy is post Clone War Era.

The switch has a red ring LED in it and the blade color is what TCSS calls red/orange. I think it is a nice choice for this saber since true red just screams Sith, and this guy is not a Sith Lord. This has a more natural look to it, in my opinion and a subtle difference that sets it apart from the Sith sabers.

Enjoy the pictures and tell me what you think.....

In the picture below you can really see the orange in the red. It is a very good representation of how it looks in person. I think it looks like fire. Very cool color.

Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Time to stop playing on the Dark Side. I finished what will probably be my final work for a while (I say that a lot though, don't I?).

I present, The Sage V2

You might remember this saber as looking like this.....

I was proud of it at the time but always wanted to do more with it. Since I am working on a Jedi General costume, I figure this would be a good excuse to upgrade this saber. None of my other sabers really have that Clone Wars cartoon look to them so this saber was an excellent candidate for this costume project since it looks more like something from that era.

The shroud is made of the TCSS sleeve material. I made the template with graph paper and cut the sleeve with a dremel tool. It required a lot of filing to get the edges smooth and the curves symmetrical.

I masked off and painted the grooves and emitter. For the emitter, I used Teflon plumbers tape to tape off the odd shaped areas and it worked very well. I then did a little weathering to the paint by rolling the hilt on a gravel road to chip the paint. I quit while I was ahead and did not over do it.

Then came the electronics. This is the first sound saber I have made with two LED's. I was shooting for a yellow blade, like what was on it before. That one was made in sort of a cheater's way, I wanted to do this one like a real saber smith. I sought help from another saber smith who was a great help. To make a yellow blade, you must run both a red and green LED to make yellow. The result I got is more like Ahsoka's shoto saber (kind of a lime color) than the golden yellow I was shooting for....but it still looks cool. Tuning the resistors a little differently would tweek the color but I am not going to mess with it any more.

Here it is in the dark and side by side with a green blade.

I also did my little trick with putting a recharge port in the switch box. I have gotten my money's worth out of that drill press of mine.

It is fully set up with sound using the Nano Biscotte sound card. I have gotten very comfortable wiring that card. There are better cards out there, but NB is just about perfect for trooping sabers.

As always, enjoy the pictures.
Badbrad ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for a Sinya Tonfa saber, well actually a pair of them, the sabers in the 501st CRL are really small so I'm trying to approximate the size and look. I need to know if all these parts will actually connect and if there will be room in the handle for the battery pack, buckPuck, ect.

From Custom Sabers

MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 16
MHS choke style 1 short
Double Male Extension
MHS choke style 1 short
MPS Pommel style 7

connecting to the side of the Double Male Extension
Tonfa MHS adapter
Tonfa handle style 1
Tonfa Pommel Ring
Tonfa pommel style 1

BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire

the idea is to keep it small and put the battery, ect in the tonfa handle
the switch will also be on the end of the tonfa handle in the Tonfa Pommel, a lighted purple one would be nice but is not a must have.

from Ultra Sabers
Modular LED System (MLS) unit
LED Color:Violet Amethyst
Flash on Clash:No Flash
Install Quick Disconnect:No
Very Happy

Always remember, no matter were you go..there you are
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badbrad wrote:
This is for a Sinya Tonfa saber, well actually a pair of them, the sabers in the 501st CRL are really small so I'm trying to approximate the size and look. I need to know if all these parts will actually connect and if there will be room in the handle for the battery pack, buckPuck, ect.

From Custom Sabers

MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 16
MHS choke style 1 short
Double Male Extension
MHS choke style 1 short
MPS Pommel style 7

connecting to the side of the Double Male Extension
Tonfa MHS adapter
Tonfa handle style 1
Tonfa Pommel Ring
Tonfa pommel style 1

BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire

the idea is to keep it small and put the battery, ect in the tonfa handle
the switch will also be on the end of the tonfa handle in the Tonfa Pommel, a lighted purple one would be nice but is not a must have.

from Ultra Sabers
Modular LED System (MLS) unit
LED Color:Violet Amethyst
Flash on Clash:No Flash
Install Quick Disconnect:No
Very Happy

Give me a few days to look this over and I will get back to you. Mixing Ultra Saber's parts and TCSS parts can be tricky.
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think this is going to work. First of all, the battery pack will not fit in the Tonfa handle. It had a 1" ID and no battery pack you can use to power all of that will fit in there. The buckpuck needs a minimum of 5 volts so generally that means 4 AAA batteries or a 7.2 volt Li Ion pack (the side by side will not fit and the end to end one is too long.)

The buckpuck will also not fit in the handle.

The other problem is using the Ultra Saber's LED unit with TCSS parts. It will not fit in the choke. You would need to transplant the US LED set up into a TCSS heat sink unit, which can be risky.

You will need to make you design a little longer. And maybe consider using a Tri Rebel to make purple rather than use the US unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: